Handicapped Suite-Pics and opinions please

Heidi H.

I have a handicapped Junior suite booked on the Jewel OTS, does anyone have any pictures of one of these? What did you think of the room and Bathroom. We are not handicapped, but that was the only JS they had left for this sailing and they asked if I wanted it. Any pictures of one from any of the Radiance class ships would be fine. Thanks

You won't regret booking the accessible suite. I never stayed in one but had an inside accessible cabin once. The accessible cabins are nearly twice the size of the regular cabin so you will have lots of space to move around. The bathroom is big and everything is within hand reached. If you are more than 2 pax, I'm sure that the extra space will be more than welcomed.

Guest cruzr44

My parents had a balcony HC cabin and it was very spacious. I would love to have a cabin with that much space but disagree that RC should be offering them to a non-handicapped person. I have tried to book cruises with an available HC cabin and they are hard to find. I wonder just how many of the HC cabins really don't have HC people in them preventing HC people from cruising more. I am in no way getting on you for accepting this cabin, just wish RC would keep them available for the HC up until sailing and then offer them at the pier as an upgrade. If I were you I would take them up on their offer because if you don't they will offer it to some other non-HC person.

I asked the Royal Caribbean rep about the availability of rooms for the handicapped if we took this room and he said that there are plenty of handicapped rooms still available and that they have on occasion bumped people to accomodate them. I personally believe they were just trying to make a loyal customer happy by offering what they had available.

I wonder just how many of the HC cabins really don't have HC people in them preventing HC people from cruising more. I am in no way getting on you for accepting this cabin, just wish RC would keep them available for the HC up until sailing and then offer them at the pier as an upgrade. If I were you I would take them up on their offer because if you don't they will offer it to some other non-HC person.

As much as I appreciate the fact that HC cabins should not randomly be given to anyone who wants one (i.e., non-HC people), if that is the only cabin left in that category, I really can't see as a practical business practice making the cruiseline hold onto it until sailing and offer it at a reduced rate at the pier when they can get full price now. The fact that a HC cabin in that category is still available means that while a HC person COULD have very easily booked it, none chose to do so.

We had a junior suite that was handicapped accessible on the Rhapsady. We upgraded about one month before our cruise because we are experienced travelers who just wanted some R & R time versus visiting the ports. The room was spacious--full couch, comfortable chair--huge bathroom with walkin shower. No stepping over a step to into the bathroom. More storage room than most balcony rooms. The balcony had one lounge chair, a nice size table and two additional deck chairs. Also had a ramp to get out on to the balcony if needed. The couch could be made into another bed if needed. The room was next to the elevator. I would not hesitate to book an handicap room in the future for my parents after seeing the space.

Have a great trip.

kek17

HeidiH,

I hope RCCL told you...............you may be moved if a truly handicapped person needs your room. That is the chance you take booking a handicapped cabin when you are not handicapped. That is only fair. How would you feel if you kept a person who is confined to a wheelchair from cruising.

IMHO, I would not be able to sleep at night or look people in the eye who are in wheelchairs on the cruise knowing I am in a cabin I am not really intitled to. It would feel like cheating to me. But that is only me.

Enjoy your cruise, Linda

HeidiH,

I hope RCCL told you...............you may be moved if a truly handicapped person needs your room. That is the chance you take booking a handicapped cabin when you are not handicapped. That is only fair. How would you feel if you kept a person who is confined to a wheelchair from cruising.

IMHO, I would not be able to sleep at night or look people in the eye who are in wheelchairs on the cruise knowing I am in a cabin I am not really intitled to. It would feel like cheating to me. But that is only me.

Enjoy your cruise, Linda

"HeidiH" in another reply said she asked if there would be room for other handicapped persons should they choose to book and RCCL said there was additonal room to accomdate someone who needed a handicapped room. It sounds as if they also explained that they will relocate someone if need be.

So, IMHO she has done her due diligence in making sure she isn't getting a handicap room that will displace someone who truely needs it.

As someone who is disabled, I find it totally inconsiderate to book an HC cabin just because it's the last one available in the category you want, or just because you want the extra space. Sorry to be so harsh, but it's plain reality in my world. If the cruise line wants to release these cabins to able-bodied passengers once all final payments are due, then fine, but to book one months in advance just for your own convenience is plain wrong. I just hope that any able-bodied person (and I'm not specifically pointing the finger at any persons here) who books these cabins for their own purposes never has to actually need one of these cabins in the future because you or a loved one has become disabled. I'm 52 and have been disabled because of polio at the age of 2, and I wouldn't want to welcome anyone to my world of disabilty. After years of suffering, pain and surgeries, we can experience things like cruises because cruise ships woke up and made this possible. But if able-bodied persons continue to book these cabins because they think they're cool or more convenient, you could very well deny a disabled cruiser the ability to cruise. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with "practical business practice" because those cabins can be sold once it's determined that no disabled person will be using it. I have been complaining to cruise lines for quite some time now that they should not allow able-bodied persons to book HC cabins far in advance of a cruise, but to no avail. The only way to stop this is for the able-bodied to stop accepting these cabins offered by the cruise line unless it's a late booking or after final payments are due, which is usually two months out.

As someone who is disabled, I find it totally inconsiderate to book an HC cabin just because it's the last one available in the category you want, or just because you want the extra space.
People who book HC rooms (or who pretend to be handicapped themselves) just because they want the extra space are scum. They're taking advantage of others; however, the original poster didn't do this.

I disagree with your last-available in this category idea. The ship has only so many cabins in each category, and the reality is that they fill up. LOTS of people (healthy, handicapped, whatever -- lots of people in general) will hear, "I'm sorry but that room category is sold out; can we look at a higher /lower category instead?". If every room in category X has been booked, and an able-bodied person calls up asking for category X, I see no reason that the cruise line should hold that room empty "just in case" a handicapped person happens to call and request a room in category X. To hold that room "just in case" is discriminating against the able-bodied person (and it's unfair to the cruise line because they deserve to be able to sell their rooms to the first person who asks for them). If the cruise line is forced to wait until the last minute -- again "just in case" a handicapped person happens along -- then the reality is they're going to end up giving free upgrades at the last minute, which isn't profitable for them. They're in business to make money -- why should they be forced to give away what someone else has already offered to buy?

It's common knowledge that people who call early have the best choice of rooms (and the best prices, but that's another topic altogether). To deny the last room in category X makes no sense. The person who calls "too late" should have to choose another category or another week.

I'm not unsympathetic to the suffering of the handicapped; however, I think anyone who wants a certain room should plan well in advance. Or be prepared to take a higher /lower category room, or be prepared to choose a different week . . .

I totally agree with MrsPete here - if a particular category of cabins is booked, then that's it - the cruiseline should not hold out the last HC cabin in a given category just "in case" a HC person choses to book later.

Of course, non-HC people should never be permitted to choose a HC cabin over a non-HC cabin if both are available, but that was NOT the situation here.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue. To assign an HC cabin to an AB person just because it's the last one left in the category is plain wrong. Now, I'm not saying the OP did anything wrong because she appeared to do what's right in the situation, but if you take the time to read posts on all the other boards from people saying they took an HC cabin because it was the only mid-ship cabin on the deck they wanted, or because they like the extra square footage, I'm sorry to say I think it's plain self serving. Considering that many cruises are selling out early, by booking an HC cabin months in advance of a cruise, even if it is the last remaining cabin in a category, could very well deny an HC person from cruising. I've never said a cruise line shouldn't ever sell an HC cabin to an AB passenger. I'm just saying that to book one months in advance because it's the last available in a category or because it's the only mid ship cabin on the deck you desire, is not fair to the disabled cruisers. Heck, travel agencies block literally hundreds of berths for every cruise and they're released for sale sometime only weeks before a sailing. Do you think it's fair for agencies to do this and then deny anyone from booking those cabins just because the TA's keep them on hold for weeks on end? It's a very similar situation. You can't book a cabin you want because travel agents are holding them until maybe 3 weeks before sailing, and the disabled can't book a cabin because the AB have booked them months in advance.

I found some of this conversation to be offending since I am currently dealing with two family members who are disabled and are trying to give them opportunities. When I upgraded our cabin less than a month before our cruise, I told RCCL representatives that I did not want to deny someone who could really benefit. I was told by the RCCL representative that they wait until this time to release the HC cabins. I informed RCCL that I would understand if I was bumped if the situation changed and was thanked by the representative on the phone. We heard nothing and we were able to enjoy the cabin. Your fight is with the cruise lines and their policies and not a person like myself who has faced transporation and traveling issues for disabled family members.

RCCL polices and customer service personnel are not well trained in my opinion. They only see a rule book and are given little latitude to deviate when issues are given to them. They have angered myself as a veteran C&A member with over 18 cruises to consider another travel line for future cruising because of the unresolved issue and the inability to speak with someone who has some authority to give a reason why. Their representatives only see $$$ on the bottom of the spreadsheet but forget that us who are consumers can make different choices in the future.

kek17

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue. To assign an HC cabin to an AB person just because it's the last one left in the category is plain wrong.

Supposed no HC person wants to book this cabin - should the cruiseline just "eat" it?

Now, I'm not saying the OP did anything wrong because she appeared to do what's right in the situation, but if you take the time to read posts on all the other boards from people saying they took an HC cabin because it was the only mid-ship cabin on the deck they wanted, or because they like the extra square footage, I'm sorry to say I think it's plain self serving.

I agree - totally wrong.

Considering that many cruises are selling out early, by booking an HC cabin months in advance of a cruise, even if it is the last remaining cabin in a category, could very well deny an HC person from cruising.

No - it was clearly stated that there were other HC cabins available - just not in this category.

I've never said a cruise line shouldn't ever sell an HC cabin to an AB passenger. I'm just saying that to book one months in advance because it's the last available in a category or because it's the only mid ship cabin on the deck you desire, is not fair to the disabled cruisers.

Don't see why it is wrong if it's the only one available in a given category - a HC could have just as easily booking it but apparently chose not to.

Heck, travel agencies block literally hundreds of berths for every cruise and they're released for sale sometime only weeks before a sailing. Do you think it's fair for agencies to do this and then deny anyone from booking those cabins just because the TA's keep them on hold for weeks on end? It's a very similar situation. You can't book a cabin you want because travel agents are holding them until maybe 3 weeks before sailing, and the disabled can't book a cabin because the AB have booked them months in advance.

Apples and oranges here.

When I upgraded our cabin less than a month before our cruise, I told RCCL representatives that I did not want to deny someone who could really benefit
See, I wouldn't have any issue with that. A month before the cruise, anyone who wants a room on the ship should already have booked! It's not reasonable to expect ships to hold handicapped rooms open (and risk having them sail empty) only a month before the sailing date. You shouldn't feel bad in the least!

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue. To assign an HC cabin to an AB person just because it's the last one left in the category is plain wrong.
Then you're arguing that the HC person should have more rights than the AB person.

If I call to book a Junior Suite, and I'm told that they're all full . . . well, I'm just out of luck. I should've called earlier. If a regular Junior Suite is available, then they should book me in that -- obviously. But if there's only one left, and it's an HC room they should book it instead of waiting "just in case" a HC person wants that room that week. Why should the HC person have longer to decide he wants to cruise than I do?

people saying they took an HC cabin because it was the only mid-ship cabin on the deck they wanted, or because they like the extra square footage, I'm sorry to say I think it's plain self serving.
I agree. I know that those people are out there, but I have not heard anyone anywhere defending their actions.

Considering that many cruises are selling out early, by booking an HC cabin months in advance of a cruise, even if it is the last remaining cabin in a category, could very well deny an HC person from cruising.
No, it means that the HC person might have to cruise a week earlier or a week later. It means that the HC person might have to take a balcony room or a larger suite instead of his first-choice, the Junior Suite.

Everyone knows that the best rooms on cruises sell out quickly. So I ask again, why should the HC person be able to wait until the last minute to book?

I'm and AB with an HC booked at 35 days prior leaving in two weeks and got flamed for asking the same question not long ago...and I also would move if requested....I'm sorry if your disabled but this is like complaining that you can't get an aft cabin because they give them to the guests that book early...and I cant due to my military status...I guess I am ACD (Aft Cabin Disabled).

I'm sorry if your disabled but this is like complaining that you can't get an aft cabin because they give them to the guests that book early(Aft Cabin Disabled).

When the day comes that everyone has a CHOICE on whether they want to spend their life with a view from a a wheelchair, you may have an argument. Meanwhile, that's one of the most insensitive remarks I've ever read.

I believe those of you who have to defend your reasons for taking a handicapped cabin are the worst abusers. You feel you have to defend yourself because you know you are not entitled to these cabins.

If all the HC cabins are given to able bodied people after final payment.........What happens if a disabled wants to book after final payment? They cant because they are all taken. Why should disabled have to book a year in advance.......... they have every right to book last minute too. Handicapped cabins are not more desirable cabins. To the disabled, they are a requirement.

Disabled people have a hard enough life as it is..... why do those of you who book disabled cabins have to make their life even more difficult?

Your attitude will change one day when you or a loved one may become disabled and need a handicapped cabin to cruise. Remember what goes around comes around.

I believe those of you who have to defend your reasons for taking a handicapped cabin are the worst abusers. You feel you have to defend yourself because you know you are not entitled to these cabins.

If all the HC cabins are given to able bodied people after final payment.........What happens if a disabled wants to book after final payment? They cant because they are all taken. Why should disabled have to book a year in advance.......... they have every right to book last minute too. Handicapped cabins are not more desirable cabins. To the disabled, they are a requirement.

Disabled people have a hard enough life as it is..... why do those of you who book disabled cabins have to make their life even more difficult?

Your attitude will change one day when you or a loved one may become disabled and need a handicapped cabin to cruise. Remember what goes around comes around.

But didn't you read the OP's explanation? If a handicapped person wants a room a non handicapped person will be bumped. So what's the problem..Why so much anger.

What happens? I guess that they're out of luck, then, just as I figure I would be if I tried to book a particular catagory or cabin on a particularily popular ship a month from the sailing date. Yes, everyone has every right to book at the last minute, and personally I always do just that. If you wish to wait until the last minute, the risk is your own. This applies to everyone.

Personally, I'd like to see access to booking HC cabins completely blocked from travel agents especially. No TA ought to have the ability to hold or reserve a HC stateroom, ever. If RCL would force these requests to be facilitated directly through their own agents and only upon proof of necessity, I'm certain that a lot of people would be made happier for this.

Please allow me to throw compassion out the window for a moment, though. Any major cruise line has but one, ultimate duty to fulfill: to appease shareholders by meeting or exceeding their earnings projections, and revenue is forever king. Period. When we discuss RCL, Carnival Group, etc et al, we're talking about multi-billion-dollar corporations who view travellers with severe mobility issues as an exceedingly small demographic. Collectively, they're not a terribly profitable group overall and in their eyes it makes almost no fiscal sense to take extraordinary strides to cater to them. Some of you seem to forget this small point or choose to overlook it altogether, but this is at least the reality in the world that I observe. Having said that, I think that it's fairly pointless for us to harp on what's "fair" and what is not, and I'd be happy to debate that. After all, if this sort of behaviour from the cruise lines disgusts some of you but yet you're the very same people who continue to merrily feed them your dollars, you have already maneouvered yourself into a position where you have practically zero room to criticize. I do indeed sympathize, but think about that for a moment before hitting your reply button.

To those 'slamming' the OP and other posters who have booked HC Accessible cabins despite being 'AB', and to Umbarger in particularly - please get off your high horse.

I'm sorry to be so blunt and rude about it, but I've tried posting 'eloquent' replies on this before, most recently in a thread where 64drvr was slammed. Yet still we get these sickeningly pious postings telling people that as much as they might justify it, they are still 'wrong doers' for daring to book an HC accessible stateroom when not HC.

As Davey Interweb points out, the cruise lines are a business, not a public service institution. At 35 days out (or whatever cut off is deemed by the cruise lines Revenue Management as a critical time to shift remaining inventory) any remaining HC Accessible staterooms that HAVE BEEN HELD for over a year for a HC cruiser to book, are released into general inventory. This is particularly so when these staterooms are one of only a handful remaining on the ship.

As I've said before, when there are only a handful of staterooms left, the cruise line will at a late date such as 35 days out, move to sell those to anyone who wishes to book them. Their priority is a full ship. They are a business.

The alternative is to leave it empty to sail date, and let it go empty. The shoe is now on the other foot. Why should I, an 'AB', be discriminated against and not permitted to go on a cruise when cabin/s are available, but I can only have them if I am HC. The arguement about booking late and entitlement to cruise can be put across both ways. And that's not withstanding the fact that unlike a HC guest, I have not had cabins held specifically for me from which to choose from for over a year.

Further, the cost of sailing with empty HC Accessible cabins would, however small, have to be eventually absorbed into the overall pricing of the other cabins.

I fully support providing facilities and services to enable HC guests to enjoy a cruise. However, if a cabin so equipped is not required by a HC guest, then there is absolutely no logic or sense in the arguement that another guest cannot be 'entitled' to it.

But didn't you read the OP's explanation? If a handicapped person wants a room a non handicapped person will be bumped. So what's the problem..Why so much anger.

I beg to differ on this subject. My mother being handicapped and us having to book last minute for most of our cruises cause it is cheaper often have to deal with regular cabins. I think the cruise line is just reassuring the AB passengers they are booking the HC room to that it is fine and honestly have no plans at all to move the AB passengers if the HC room is needed. They are in the business to make money, are not required to even have handicapped rooms nor handicapped accessible anything onboard. As long as they fill the space, they don't care!

Archived