Misleading Occupancy Information on RCL Site

I am looking to book my first sailing with RCL. I have cruised in the past with another line and wanted to give RCL a try. For the past several days I have been looking on the RCL site at an August sailing on the Oasis of the Seas. The booking would be for myself, 13 son, and 3 year old daughter. I was all set to book when I got a prompt on the site saying that the cabin selected (An Oceanview) would not accomodate 3 people, the site went on to say the only cabin types that would in fact accomodate 3 people would be a balcony or suite. I made two calls to RCL. On the first call I was told there was a glitch with the site and several people called regarding the same issue. I waited 24 hours to see if the site would be fixed; it was not. So, I placed a second call to RCL and was told that I could be placed in an oceanview with three occupants IF my 3 year old was able to fit into a crib. The rep then tried to sell me a balcony or suite. She told me the only way to make the cabin accomodation work was for me to book it with her via phone, allowing her to add a crib to my request. She stated I would not be able to do so online. I kindly refused(For one my 3 year old is too tall for a crib... MOST ARE) I have simply never head of such a thing.

I have sailed previously and the 3 of us were in an ocean view with a king bed and pull out sofa, without any problems. For thoes of you who have sailed RCL is this a standard practice (3 guest are not able to occupy an oceanview cabin)? Or was this an upsell attempt.

I really want to sail RCL but I don't want to feel like I am "strong armed" into purchasing a higher category cabin.

RC's website is not exactly a stranger to IT-related issues. However it almost sounds like they are out of 3-person rooms in the cabin category that you chose.

You could try a mock booking via the website with a lower category of cabin and see if that works. Otherwise, I second Bob's suggestion that you try a travel agent and see if they can figure it out.

I just walked through a mock booking on Oasis on the Aug 27th sailing. I selected an oceanview room and selected 3 passengers (2 adults, 1 child because the 12 was the highest age I could select in the child age selector).

Upon doing that, I was able to get all the way to the credit card entry screen without problem.

It might have been a temporary glitch, but you can absolutely book 3 people in an oceanview room. Now... the important thing to realize is before you start looking at actual rooms, you need to choose the fact you're traveling with 3 passengers.

Not all oceanview rooms can handle 3/4 people. Some have a max of two. So if you left the default of two people selected and then went to view rooms, you might have gotten a 2 max person room instead of one that could extend to a 3rd/4th.

Hope that helps!

It is the 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Oasis of the Seas. Sailing July 30-Aug 6.

I'm seeing that sailing as an Eastern Caribbean.

I also see stateroom 3586 is open for 3 people. This has a sofa bed and a pullman.

I also entered the child's age as 5, so the website would not assume that a crib would be OK.

I see only two OV staterooms available in that sailing that would accomodate 3 people.

Edited by clarea

A balcony for 3 is coming up as cheaper than OV when I check that sailing. The initial price shows as more, but when you go through the booking it comes out cheaper.

I see the same thing, I believe those balconies are the Boardwalk and Central Park inward facing balconies.

Others have answered your question. I just want to add ...

Sailed with RCI quite a lot. Plenty of cabins which can occupy 3 or 4 at all levels but of course subject to availability.

Sometimes, a balcony works out cheaper so worth doing your homework before committing. I always check online travel agents as well as the Royal Caribbean site for prices.

The website is incorrect.

We have a family group for our next cruise and have 3 cabins(1 inside, 1 ocean view and 1 balcony). Two with 3 passengers and the other with 4. Online it lists all 3 cabins as having a max occupancy of 2.

Called them up and made the reservations, no big deal.