Norovirus outbreak on the past Breeze Feb 12th cruise?

martini_guy

I came with a large group of 40 or so people. Around a dozen were sick starting on Friday evening. Some of those were quarantined and had to leave the ship first on Sunday at 8:15. Has anyone heard anything?

They boarded on Friday, and were sick that night? If it was noro, they didn't get it onboard, as it typically takes 3 days to develop symptoms.

It sounds like they did get sick the night they boarded. The ship they list was the February 12th sailing. That was an 8 night, so there would only be one "Sunday" involved. You can start getting symptoms after 12 hours of being exposed, so it's possible that they were exposed earlier in the day on the day of boarding. Either way, that is too bad for those that became ill!

Since the title of your post states that it was a Feb 12 cruise, which was a Friday, you can understand our confusion. I guess you meant the 14th.

Did you hear that anyone else was ill? Did the people who got sick eat the same thing or have anything in else in common (an activity, excursion, certain drink, etc?). Sailing the Breeze in a few weeks, so I hope it's not Noro!

Since the title of your post states that it was a Feb 12 cruise, which was a Friday, you can understand our confusion. I guess you meant the 14th.

Did you hear that anyone else was ill? Did the people who got sick eat the same thing or have anything in else in common (an activity, excursion, certain drink, etc?). Sailing the Breeze in a few weeks, so I hope it's not Noro!

Sorry it was a typo. Yes it was Feb 13th. Also I didn't think that the Breeze ever had Friday departures.

Within our group we couldn't pinpoint a commonality although some think it was the same MDR (the bigger of the two).

I came with a large group of 40 or so people. Around a dozen were sick starting on Friday evening. Some of those were quarantined and had to leave the ship first on Sunday at 8:15. Has anyone heard anything?

I was on that sailing. I know that one person flew home from Aruba due to illness, but it was confirmed H1N1 and bronchitis. I heard that several others were ill and quarantined, but I don't know what their diagnosis was. When I was reentering at Aruba, someone in the security line behind me vomited.

Just out of curiosity, not trying to be snarky or anything, what does it matter now if people were sick on a cruise last week? If you were exposed, there's nothing you can do about it now. If there was a norovirus outbreak on the last sailing, I highly doubt the ship would return to port now for cleaning if there isn't an outbreak on this sailing.

I don't have any info on this cruise.

We were on the Breeze that left January 30th. Just on our roll call alone 100+ people were sick. But it wasn't norovirus. It was some kind of flu/horrible head cold type thing.

I just got off the Freedom on Saturday 2/21 and woke up the following day feeling poorly and since then have developed the WORST flu I've had in well over a decade. Different ship, I know ... but man that is one nasty bug floating around the US. I'm on day 3 in bed. :(

what does it matter now if people were sick on a cruise last week? If you were exposed' date=' there's nothing you can do about it now. [/quote']

I think it's good to mention it - could be good information for people on the next sailing. Also, if others on board got sick as well, they might be able to determine the commonality. And if people in my group got sick, I'd be curious if others were too/how many/etc.

That is why as soon as I get into my cabin I take out the Lysol and spray down the doorknobs, phone, tv remote......basically the entire cabin, you never know who was in it before you.

Yeah, after seeing this post, I'm definitely doing the same thing. I'm sure someone will respond with a statistic saying that it won't really help, but I'd rather try to avoid it than not.

That is why as soon as I get into my cabin I take out the Lysol and spray down the doorknobs, phone, tv remote......basically the entire cabin, you never know who was in it before you.

Thank-you! I thought I was the only person to clean my cabin with Lysol! I go through the entire cabin and have Lysol wipes for everyday... :cool:

The stewards love me on every cruise... :cool:

Thank-you! I thought I was the only person to clean my cabin with Lysol! I go through the entire cabin and have Lysol wipes for everyday... :cool:

The stewards love me on every cruise... :cool:

I am going on the Breeze 4/9/16 I will probably do the same thing and wipe down all surfaces in my cabin that people usually touch. Dateline did a story about the different surfaces on cruises ships that have the most germs- the remote in the cabins, the elevator buttons, the stair case hand rails and the buffet serving handles. The best defense is I"ll wash my hands often.

Gary

Edited by shipbound2

you likely had the "bug" before you boarded...who knows? Tis the season! You can wipe down everything, and still catch something. As long as you don't allow the germs entry (by touching eyes, nose and mouth) you'll be ok, usually!

Edited by cb at sea

I am going on the Breeze 4/9/16 I will probably do the same thing and wipe down all surfaces in my cabin that people usually touch. Dateline did a story about the different surfaces on cruises ships that have the most germs- the remote in the cabins, the elevator buttons, the stair case hand rails and the buffet serving handles. The best defense is I"ll wash my hands often.

Gary

I'm not a germaphobe, but wipe down what I consider to be germ traps. My most awakening moment was accidental thanks to how the sun was reflecting in my cabin one day. People say they wipe door knobs, but has anyone wiped 6 to 9 inches around it? I saw the distorted reflection by the sun that day as it was loaded with fingerprints:eek: I now automatically include areas around knobs, including closet doors.