Cruises to Aruba and Curacao question

S.S.Oceanlover

You missed Curacao at night. There is a lot of nightlife. Very fun time.

So our times are like 2-10 Curacao, and next day 8-4 for Aruba, the opposite of above. Just wondered if it was better for Aruba or Curacao for late night ports. We originally had La Romano on the Vista Southern itinerary, but switched ships to the Magic for same itinerary minus that for about $700 less. Doesn't sound like we are missing out on too much. Glad we made the switch.:)

Does all this mean you have a red funnel ship in your sailing future?

You never know Jim. It's never out of the realm of possibilities.:)

Why does it matter. There is plenty of time to do just about anything you want to do

I'm glad you found plenty to do but not everybody is like you.

We were already there once at the 1pm to 10pm times and would like to have more time to do things during the day.

We did a tour of the island and when we got back did a little shopping and were on the floating bridge when it had to be turned so a boat could get by which was pretty cool.

When we went to Aruba we again took the tour of the island with Sonny Binns and were going to the beach after the tour but the skies opened up and it poured down rain so back to the ship we went.

On our first trip to Curacao and Aruba we were on the Crown Princess and our ship had to go back to Fort Lauderdale before we ever got to a port due to a norovirus outbreak.

We wound up with a 5 day cruise to nowhere.

Ireally enjoy the late time.carnival does this to make it more fun for us all. its all about the fun baby !!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure that's why Carnival get's there so late.:p

Bill

Same here. We took a cab to Playa Caleta when we went to La Romana. The scariest part of our day was the crazy driving by our cab driver. We do not speak Spanish but still managed to communicate with the attendants where we spent the day at the beach.

Sorry but I disagree with you all. I love LA Romana. I can see how some feel unsafe because of the cultural differences and the poverty but the people are extremely welcoming. After spending a beautiful day at Dominicus beach we headed to downtown LA Romana and walked around and felt very safe talking with the locals. It does help that we speak spanish

So our times are like 2-10 Curacao, and next day 8-4 for Aruba, the opposite of above. Just wondered if it was better for Aruba or Curacao for late night ports. We originally had La Romano on the Vista Southern itinerary, but switched ships to the Magic for same itinerary minus that for about $700 less. Doesn't sound like we are missing out on too much. Glad we made the switch.:)

When are you sailing on Magic? The middle of November? We are on nov 12 sailing.

You never know Jim. It's never out of the realm of possibilities.:)

I'm glad you found plenty to do but not everybody is like you.

We were already there once at the 1pm to 10pm times and would like to have more time to do things during the day.

We did a tour of the island and when we got back did a little shopping and were on the floating bridge when it had to be turned so a boat could get by which was pretty cool.

When we went to Aruba we again took the tour of the island with Sonny Binns and were going to the beach after the tour but the skies opened up and it poured down rain so back to the ship we went.

On our first trip to Curacao and Aruba we were on the Crown Princess and our ship had to go back to Fort Lauderdale before we ever got to a port due to a norovirus outbreak.

We wound up with a 5 day cruise to nowhere.

I'm sure that's why Carnival get's there so late.:p

Bill

Well let me know when you decide. If you do Aruba the sunset cruise was in my 10 all time.

Edited by jimbo5544

Is La Romana that bad? We stop there on the Splendor in August.

No, it's not. We were there on a cruise a year ago, and it's not bad. In fact, I would go back to La Romana if it was included in an itinerary that was more unique, or in a few years when we're ready to do the identical itinerary again.

It is a port that I would recommend a Carnival excursion if you can, but there are independent tours that I'm sure are just as good.

I loved it there and don't understand people who have an issue with it...the only thing I can come up with is that the people who only want "Americanized" ports don't want to see anything different than Diamonds International and Tanzanite International next to MargaritaVille and Ron Jon's Surf Shop, etc. Don't expect that in La Romana, because you won't see it. You will see an authentic foreign port in a foreign country.

Why does Carnival do 1 island 8am to4 or 5pm and then the next day doesn't get to the next island until 1pm .

All the other cruise lines hit thise 2 islands in consecutive days just like Carnival but they arrive at each island at 8am?

Getting to 1 island at 1pm is a waste to me.

Bill

I don't know, but it was great being in Curacao into the evening, so I guess I didn't really mind.

When are you sailing on Magic? The middle of November? We are on nov 12 sailing.

Yes, same cruise lol. Looks like it will be a great port to enjoy the nightlife. We have never been before, so would like to do a small tour, but also go back out around the town in the evening. Just saw this thread and thought I'd see what others have done, but will wait till after April cruise on the Sunshine before I start finalizing it. :)

You are Lucky. We are arriving in Aruba at 2 pm too late for a snorkel sail on shore. We would have to book a ship excursion which is over priced and overcrowded. The whole reason for this itinerary was to snorkel in Aruba.

Edited by getupgo
misspelled words

Yes, same cruise lol. Looks like it will be a great port to enjoy the nightlife. We have never been before, so would like to do a small tour, but also go back out around the town in the evening. Just saw this thread and thought I'd see what others have done, but will wait till after April cruise on the Sunshine before I start finalizing it. :)

Other social networks have pages if you would like to find us :) We will be cruising with two kids as well. Never been to Aruba or Curacao. I'm disappointed we have a late arrival -- but as you said, we will go back out in the evening. Hope to get to meet you!!

• 2 months later...

Thought La Romana was the reason for late arrival in Curacao but apparently not.

Doing the Magic later this year and going straight to Curacao so two full sea days and than we dont get there until 2 pm. Since it is mid Nov gets dark early so probably not even worth going to the beach.

Gosh, we were scheduled for the Southern Caribbean cruise, looking forward to the night time party bus (looked just like a scene out of the "Death in Paradise" TV show). Then Carnival changed the vessel from the Dream to an older ship. We took a different cruise. Hope to get to the Southern Caribbean some day though ...

Thought La Romana was the reason for late arrival in Curacao but apparently not.

Doing the Magic later this year and going straight to Curacao so two full sea days and than we dont get there until 2 pm. Since it is mid Nov gets dark early so probably not even worth going to the beach.

For whatever reason that's the way Carnival does it while other cruise lines can dock at 8am.

Kind of a wasted day to us as we would rather do beach things and not hang out at night on the island and drink.

Bill

Has anyone done a sunset cruise in Curacao? We're there until 10:00 and are trying to decide what to do there. I'm so excited to be somewhere in the evening instead of having to leave at 4:00 or so! Any suggestions?

Maybe it has to do with the time the port can accept them maybe it's not on CCL but more on the port. Just spitballing not saying any known fact of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For whatever reason that's the way Carnival does it while other cruise lines can dock at 8am.

Kind of a wasted day to us as we would rather do beach things and not hang out at night on the island and drink.

Bill

We have been to Curacao with CCL several times where we got there in the morning so no idea why it should be this way so often.

Maybe it has to do with the time the port can accept them maybe it's not on CCL but more on the port. Just spitballing not saying any known fact of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Some ports can only take a couple of ships at a time. Could be scheduling of ships and port issues, not cruise line specific. :D

Valor is heading to Aruba on October 25th getting there at 1pm. No other ships in port that day.

Bill

Hey Bill! October 25 is my birthday so have a drink for me! ;)

Yeah I'm on that itinerary this July - 1 PM Aruba & next day 8 AM Curacao. Also did this itinerary in 2014 on Liberty. There wasn't a lot to do on either island. Rode the city bus up the beach in Aruba & spent a couple hours there before returning to the spa & pool on board. In Curacao we walked the fort area & went back on board. We take this tour for the extra sea days. :D