Al fresco dining

janecambridge

RJB, we have discussed the pros vs. cons regarding the GDR with passengers on board as well as here at CC. And obviously we all have a right to our opinions. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change his or her mind!

We like the GBR -- have ever since Renaissance days -- because we like the variety of choice and changing menus. ALSO because we've generally had excellent meals, although I won't claim that we never had a lemon there. But we've had lemons in the other restaurants as well.

(One benefit of Terrace is that if you get a lemon, you can always get something else. Of course, that is true in any of the restaurants. If you don't like what you received, you ask the waiter to bring you something else!)

Cruise well ...

Mura

We usually find the food and service better in the other restaurants, but maybe it is just us. When we want a change of menus we go to a different restaurant. Find GDR also too big. Oceania is great because of all the different choices we have. Something for everyone.

This discussion is taking an interesting turn, for some of you may recall I have a real interest in the use of words. The phrase "hop up & down to get my own food" sums up what I meant by self service. For me the terms self service and buffet are not synonymous. In the UK, from whence the OP and I both hail, when I think of self service I think of going to a counter and collecting my food. At a buffet I would go to a large table and select my own food. I'm sorry if I'm confusing everyone.

I think maybe I should have used the phrase "cafeteria style" but I'd hesitate to describe any venue on O as a cafe :D! However, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, is it not the case that O describes the venue as "The Terrace Cafe"? In which case they are describing it most accurately. :).

I'd love an outdoor full service venue.

The problem with buffets,is eating at the same time as your companion...!

We had outdoor full service in Regent a year ago in the Caribbean,facing a beautiful night sky and full moon,with cool evening breezes.Although only 8 tables,we always managed to get one.It was so lovely and romantic!

Would love other ships we sail with,to have the same...

This discussion is taking an interesting turn, for some of you may recall I have a real interest in the use of words. The phrase "hop up & down to get my own food" sums up what I meant by self service. For me the terms self service and buffet are not synonymous. In the UK, from whence the OP and I both hail, when I think of self service I think of going to a counter and collecting my food. At a buffet I would go to a large table and select my own food. I'm sorry if I'm confusing everyone.

I think maybe I should have used the phrase "cafeteria style" but I'd hesitate to describe any venue on O as a cafe :D! However, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, is it not the case that O describes the venue as "The Terrace Cafe"? In which case they are describing it most accurately. :).

I'd love an outdoor full service venue.

I guess it is confusing different Countries different wording

I guess I would say it is like a cafeteria where you go down the food line choose what you like & the servers plate it for you

Better food that an cafeteria on Oceania though ;)

If you only want to make one trip just pile the plate high with your choices

I prefer to get one course then go back for the next course (hop up & down)

If you want to eat with spouse at the same time, same course it can be a challenge usually one stays at the table so someone does not come along & take your place if both are gone to forage at the same time (yes it happens)

I prefer the GDR ;)