Diamond - Internet discounts

Denversail

Trying to get this straight...We will have our first diamond cruise in may..so that's 2 - 24 hour periods...right?

7 day cruise sunday to sunday.

If we want to use them the last 2 days of the cruise can we set them up to start friday morning to sunday morning? How do you set-up and activate? Can it be arranged earlier in the cruise for those days or will we need to go friday morning? Can they be set up together or will we have to activate 1-24 hour period and then go back and do the next?

Sorry for all the questions but very techy challenged ... :(

I'm not real tech savvy myself, but I'll try. If you each have one free day, I recommend using one sometime earlier in the cruise (say Tuesday noon to Wednesday noon [adjust your timing depending on when you'll be in port and off the ship]) and Friday morning sign up for the unlimited package (this must be purchased through the remainder of the cruise, which at this point will be two days - the value of one free Diamond day is generally equal to two package days, so this should be covered). You now have internet for one device (at a time; the other person can just use that device after you, or you can sign off and they can sign on another device with the SAME sign-on password) for part of Tuesday, part of Wednesday, all of Friday, all of Saturday and until 7am Sunday (nominal shut down for the week). If I got that wrong, someone should follow with corrections.

Thom

I am still confused. Whe we were on Liberty of the Seas last October. My DH and tried signing on near the end of the cruise but even with the discount it wanted us to pay at least $60. I think only two package options came up.

What was I doing wrong?

So we just picked the free 24 hour period.

The internet on Liberty was terrible we could barely get on anyway.

We have a 12 night Anthem cruising coming up and I don't want to be without internet for too long as I would like to check in back home and I don't trust the free wi-fi in any of the ports we are stopping in.

Edited by CruisingChick

I am still confused. Whe we were on Liberty of the Seas last October. My DH and tried signing on near the end of the cruise but even with the discount it wanted us to pay at least $60. I think only two package options came up.

What was I doing wrong? ...

At some point later in the cruise, they stop offering the lowest daily rate on the internet package.

Do you believe this? I sure as heck don't.

+1, no way the whole fleet gets it in the next few months.

I read this on CC so it must be true, right. :D

Also it came from what I consider a very reliable source here so I'll let Bob explain where he got this information.

Royal says all ships will have Voom by May 2016.

from

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=49118241

At some point later in the cruise, they stop offering the lowest daily rate on the internet package.

Okay, so now I'm even more confused, how would I get 2 free days with my Diamond Discount if they packages are more expensive.

I must be misreading something in the posts on this thread:

The package discount gives you two days at no cost for Diamond.
Edited by CruisingChick

Okay, so now I'm even more confused, how would I get 2 free days with my Diamond Discount if they packages are more expensive.

The Diamond discount is either one free 24-hour period or $30/$40 (depending on the ship) off a package.

So, no matter what day it is, you have the option to use the free 24-hour period.

What was I doing wrong?

So we just picked the free 24 hour period.

The internet on Liberty was terrible we could barely get on anyway.

We have a 12 night Anthem cruising coming up and I don't want to be without internet for too long as I would like to check in back home and I don't trust the free wi-fi in any of the ports we are stopping in.

We've done 6 cruises in the last year and we've always have been able to get the last 4 days of internet in a package at no cost using one of our D+ discounts. Our friends who are Diamond like yourselves were able to get the last 2 days at no cost with one of the D credits on the 3 cruises they did with us during that same period.

When ever I log on to do that package at the end of our cruises I always had 3 options, one device, two devices and one device 24 hour consecutive period. We always select the one device option which is at no cost when our D+ internet credit is applied. For our Anthem cruise we did last month a fourth option showed up which was a four device package for $40/day.

One thing I did notice on the first of our B2B Freedom cruise last October is when I went on to set up our one device package on day 4 for the last 4 days of that cruise at about 8am the system wanted us to pay for one day so I waited until around 10am and then set that package up at no cost. Even then the system showed we had a five day package not a four day one we had set up. Since that was the first of the B2B we actually had internet from that package until the morning of day 2 of our next cruise. :confused:

If you like we can get together on Anthem in just over a week to discuss this further.

If you like we can get together on Anthem in just over a week to discuss this further.

Yes, that would be great, because I swear on our Liberty cruise when I logged on it wanted to charge me a ton of money for only 2 days left in the sailing so I just took the free 24 hour options.

We never seen this with ourselves as D+ nor with friends who are D since the packages came out. We always have been able to apply our D and D+ internet credits to get our last 4 days or friend's 2 days single device package at no cost on all the cruises we've been on.

The only time I can see this happening is on the last day as the 24 consecutive hours period is the same as an one day single device package so that package could not be available.

Yes, that would be great, because I swear on our Liberty cruise when I logged on it wanted to charge me a ton of money for only 2 days left in the sailing so I just took the free 24 hour options.

I would have had a discussion with guest services if that had happen to us. :D

We did have a problem with using one of our D+ credits on our B2B2B Navigator cruises in Jan/15. When we used one of our D+ credit for our first 24hour period it was no longer available for the second 24 hour period even we were entitled to two of these as D+. The simple fix was to accept the charge when setting the second period followed by a quick visit to GS which got us the credit and that internet charge removed. We didn't have this problem on the Radiance, Freedom nor Anthem cruises after the Navigator cruises.

Our cabin is listed on the roll call so give me a call once we're onboard or we can meet at the Meet & Mingle.

Edited by robtulipe

If you selected a more expensive internet package, either more days and/or more devices, than your D credit covered you would simply pay the difference left after your D credit was applied.

On your upcoming Anthem cruise if you chose a 8 day single device package on day 5 after using one of your D credit earlier for a 24 hours period your net cost would be $90 when the second of your D credits was applied. Cost of package for 8 days is $120 minus your $30 credit leaves a cost of $90 to pay. ;)

When we were on Adventure last year we used our Diamond discount, but it still charged our account the difference. So, we just went to Guest Services and they quickly removed the charge. We were on a B2B so we had to do it 4 times during the cruise (2 discounts times 2 weeks). It only took a couple of seconds and they said, "We haven't worked out all of the kinks in the system yet!" I wonder how many people just don't know or don't find out or don't bother and, in those cases, RCI just gets the extra $$$.

It is a very confusing system. If you get 2 Free 24 hour time periods, it should just give them too you without a lot of trouble. I sort of miss the days when you just went to the Internet Cafe when you wanted to use your coupon... and handed it to them :)

Tom

If I'm just going to use the 24 hour periods...where/how do I get this? Is there a code or something with my paperwork in the cabin...or do I need to go someplace and sign up?

The C&A internet discount will be attached to your onboard account and any credits should appear automatically when you go into their system to set up those periods. You must enter in the folio number that's on your onboard card along with your name, birth date and cabin # when doing this.

Basically the set up screen after setting up your user name and password should show the cost of the 24 hours period and your credit amount and the net cost which is zero. Just check the agree to this button and it should then take you to the internet.

Again if you use your credit for a package for the last two days onboard if Diamond, 4 days if D+ you will receive twice the amount or days of internet at the end of your May 1st Liberty 7 night cruise. .

Edited by robtulipe

If I'm just going to use the 24 hour periods...where/how do I get this? Is there a code or something with my paperwork in the cabin...or do I need to go someplace and sign up?

Use your own wireless device anywhere on the ship and the folio number from your SeaPass card.

When we were on Adventure last year we used our Diamond discount, but it still charged our account the difference. So, we just went to Guest Services and they quickly removed the charge. We were on a B2B so we had to do it 4 times during the cruise (2 discounts times 2 weeks). It only took a couple of seconds and they said, "We haven't worked out all of the kinks in the system yet!" I wonder how many people just don't know or don't find out or don't bother and, in those cases, RCI just gets the extra $$$.

It is a very confusing system. If you get 2 Free 24 hour time periods, it should just give them too you without a lot of trouble. I sort of miss the days when you just went to the Internet Cafe when you wanted to use your coupon... and handed it to them :)

Tom

I seem to recall guest services saying the same thing when I went there after encountering the problem I mentioned in my post 36 above.

I seem to recall guest services saying the same thing when I went there after encountering the problem I mentioned in my post 36 above.

It's been a common occurrence for us that when we enter our folio number and ID info, we will get a message to the effect that the system could not access our C&A information and could not display our discounts. It would also say something like Guest Services could fix the charges.

We've learned that asking Guest Services to fix the charges can be a very time consuming option. When we see that error message now, we just give up and try a few hours later.

It's been a common occurrence for us that when we enter our folio number and ID info, we will get a message to the effect that the system could not access our C&A information and could not display our discounts. It would also say something like Guest Services could fix the charges.

We've learned that asking Guest Services to fix the charges can be a very time consuming option. When we see that error message now, we just give up and try a few hours later.

We just use one of the ships computers to sign up. Jim's Folio # for his telephone and my Folio # for the laptop. Works like a champ.

We just use one of the ships computers to sign up. Jim's Folio # for his telephone and my Folio # for the laptop. Works like a champ.

Like I said before, when they see your name, everything goes very smoothly.:);)

On the last two cruises I've been on (Explorer and Brilliance, both within the last 4 months), they did not stop offerering the "unlimited internet" all the way up to the second to last day. Don't know about the last day because I did not check. Unlimited was priced at $20/day and each day the price reflected the number of days left. I was able to use my Diamond discount of $40 to buy the last 2 days rather than just a single 24 period in both cases.

I recall doing the same a few times and would only go to guest services if we couldn't get the system to confirm our credits a little while later.

On the last two cruises I've been on (Explorer and Brilliance, both within the last 4 months), they did not stop offerering the "unlimited internet" all the way up to the second to last day. Don't know about the last day because I did not check. Unlimited was priced at $20/day and each day the price reflected the number of days left. I was able to use my Diamond discount of $40 to buy the last 2 days rather than just a single 24 period in both cases.

That's definitely the way to use your C&A internet credit to your best advantage. ;)

On my last cruise, I did not get any error message but there was no C&A discount either, either for my folio or my wife's. I went to the Diamond concierge and he told us to go ahead and sign up and he'd remove the charges. Was much easier dealing with the concierge than with guest services.