World Cruise Insurance

sjn911

Do World Cruisers tend to by separate insurance, or at this level on Premium and Luxury Lines...do they find coverage adequate for needing to part early or cancel for any reason...the premiums are quite substantial I felt just looking at Queen Victoria World Cruise 2017 lowest Queen's Grill level. Of course I will discuss this with the client looking..but thought I might ask and get a feel of amount and how folks have felt about their coverage versus a private shop and compare at another entity.

There are some perks for booking my Feb. 29th I see and this may just be what this soul needs...for 2017.:) Thank you. I am not a TA..but a supporter of this friend.

Edited by sjn911

The Cunard insurance looks like a good deal until you read the policy terms. There's also a little trick where they don't take payment for the insurance until final payment time, so in the intervening period anything that arises becomes a preexisting condition.

Unless you have health insurance that covers you outside your country, the Cunard insurance is not a good deal. When I was booking for the 2014 World Voyage it only gave you $20,000 for accident/illness and $50,000 for emergency evacuation/repatriation. I was able to get insurance through Travel Guard that gave me $100,000 for accident/illness and $1,000,000 for evacuation/repatriation. It was the same price as the Cunard insurance.

We have an annual policy, renewed each year, which covers us very well for all travel locally and internationally. The premium seems substantial until you look at who and what it covers: 2 people insured; we don't have to worry about any gaps, i.e. we're covered from the moment the deposit is paid until we arrive back at our door. We're covered for up to 3 months world-wide (but can arrange for extension, though not needed yet); no need to pay extra for any car rental excess; all our luggage and goods are included - whether items are lost or stolen at the local supermarket or across the world. I've tested the medical component - luckily no repatriation needed, but what I required was there. So, depending on your lifestyle and travel frequency, this might work for you.

Edited by Runaways

If you are somewhat risk tolerant, there is a very reasonable alternative. First off Cunard offers excellent on-board medical care for many issues. Beyond that they make every effort to get you to the nearest shore where with the next step, you can be evaced home.

It is called belonging to the international dive association for around $100 a year. You do not have to be a diver to belong and the one main benefit is membership comes with evac insurance.

We too have annual travel insurance but for the World Cruise this was not sufficient because of the length of time away and for the amount that needed to be covered against cancellation, both deposit and after final payment. So we took out a one off policy just for that trip.

Also to be aware of, in the UK at least, is whether the insurance actually covers cruises. Most of the larger companies now have special additions for different types of holiday, skiing,watersports etc and cruises is one of them.

And when you come to try and claim these days instead of being covered for x and y unless there is an exclusion that applies, it seems you are only covered if the type incident is specified. We wanted to claim for loss of show tickets for a missed port and as it wasn't an "excursion" and we missed the port rather than having to cancel because we were ill... no claim!

Thank you very very much jo-b, Lakesregion, Runaways, Scrapnana, and Underwatr, I will pass this on pronto. If she makes this quick decision for 29th deals....she must call another independent insurer and verify her medical etc, separately. I know nothing at this level...but seems the same as mainstream shorter cruises with a different chosen ins. often being far better. I appreciate your prompt helpful replies!!!

And varied opinions/options and historical experienced outcomes are so helpful as well.

If she goes with the cost of this at upper level... well it is her call...it is a lot of money to not be insured for no per-existing to me.

Edited by sjn911