? Re: Shuttle to airport for AK cruise tour pax

mlbcruiser

Trying to decide whether to get our own transportation to the airport in Anchorage the morning of our departure for home or to go w/the Princess airport transfers. The reason? Our last night will be spent in an Anchorage hotel. We have a 10 a.m. flight and I am wondering if we will be causing ourselves to rush even more that morning due to having to be ready earlier for the Princess shuttle than if we took a cab ourselves. Plus I see there is a transfer fee on our cruise tour invoice that I can have removed before final pymt. if we don't use their transfer (and we won't on the front end for sure).

(Yes, I do understand it's wise to get to the airport in plenty of time, etc. etc.) So here are some questions for anyone who has had experience with such a transfer in AK.

Did you have to place your bags outside your hotel room door the night before (as on a ship), did they load everyone's bags right before departure for the airport?

Since everyone's flight would not be at the same time, do they make multiple runs and use small shuttle vans or large buses? I would think a large bus might require a certain amount of "hurry up and wait" time for it to be loaded with bags and passsengers.

Since we've never done this, I would really appreciate hearing how Princess handles these transfers. I know it's been months since anyone has done a Princess cruise tour in AK, but hoping someone with a good memory can answer! Thanks for any info!

We placed our bags outside the hotel room door by 7am which was OK as we were already up. We met in the lobby and were directed to the bus where we identified our luggage before it was put on the bus. The luggage is sorted by airline in the bins under the bus. When we arrived at the terminal, we stayed on the bus until the luggage was taken out, then took it and went into the terminal.

This is the same procedure I've experienced using Princess hotels in the past at a variety of ports. Yes, it takes longer than grabbing a cab but it is overall, pretty convenient.

Edited by Pam in CA

We stayed in the Captain Cook hotel on our last night and had Princess transfers. Luggage was stored in three meeting rooms and the hotel folks had full-time people handling just cruisetour luggage. Our flight was 10 PM and we were expecting a bus, but we had a small van and we were the only passengers. You certainly can do this on your own, but the Princess handling was really first class. Since we had a late departure we actually took our luggage down to the rooms and checked them in for the day. Other folks departing earlier had luggage picked up in their rooms. See the cruisetour guide for more information.