Question about Scavi Tour at St Peters

tel2

Hi

I have the scavi tour booked, but am having difficulty parsing the seemingly conflicting directions regarding what must be checked and what may be carried.

In one place it says "The visitors are reminded that they are not allowed bring bulky objects into the excavations (suitcases, backpacks, photography equipment)" and that seems perfectly clear, but in another set of instructions it says "During the visit it is forbidden to carry bulky items (suitcases, bulky envelopes, bags of any size, etc ...), or photographic equipment."

So, are small purses allowed? Are cameras/iphones allowed if not "bulty" and are contained in purse or does one's handbag and phone need to be checked? I am doing the vatican museum tour that morning, so I will certainly have a small (not bulky) camera with me.

Can someone who has recently done the tour tell me what they were permitted to carry?

If you had to check items, how far away from the entrance for the scavi tour was the location where items had to be checked?

Thanks

You can carry a smallish purse and if your camera and/or phone fits in that purse, you will not have any problems.

The quarters in the excavated area are very tight, which is a major reason why large bags are not allowed (they could cause damage brushing up against walls, etc.) Photography is only permitted in a few sections: at the very beginning (before entering the excavations) and at the end, in the area where the popes are buried.

You can carry a smallish purse and if your camera and/or phone fits in that purse, you will not have any problems.

The quarters in the excavated area are very tight, which is a major reason why large bags are not allowed (they could cause damage brushing up against walls, etc.) Photography is only permitted in a few sections: at the very beginning (before entering the excavations) and at the end, in the area where the popes are buried.

My regular travel "purse" is a very small, flat dressy leather daypack sort of thing. Think that would be allowed? When I say small, it barely fits my wallet, phone, keys and a pocket camera. it doesnt even fit a tablet....

My regular travel "purse" is a very small, flat dressy leather daypack sort of thing. Think that would be allowed? When I say small, it barely fits my wallet, phone, keys and a pocket camera. it doesnt even fit a tablet....

Yes, it should be fine BUT I wouldn't wear it as a daypack. (e.g., on your back) because people sometimes are less aware of backpacks/daypacks touching the walls or getting in the way of others.

The quarters ARE fairly tight down there. (Nothing like the Naples Underground tour I took, but still not a lot of extra room for maneuvering....)