QM2 High Balcony vs Sheltered Balcony

BuckGood

Don't think bad things about the sheltered balcony - We had one in December for the Canaries cruise - It was fine for sitting on when the sun was on it, better than the steamers on the promenade deck at the higher latitudes, because it is sheltered - but I wouldn't expect you to be doing a lot of that on a November TA - and the staterooms are exactly the same be it sheltered or glass fronted balcony. For a lot of people getting upgraded from a sheltered balcony to one of the higher ones is not an upgrade they appreciate.

Personal choice … in high summer a glass balcony gives you full view of the sea …. BUT in cold months I prefer a sheltered balcony. No matter how cold it may be,

out on a sheltered balcony early in the morning or late at night I feel close to the water and protected. As well, the ride feels more stable on 4-5-6 decks, less pitch, yaw. It is so sitting out you don't see the sea easily, but the in-hull space can be quite pleasant.

I've seen this info before on another thread, but it's good that you posted it here. Refit schedules tend to be optimistic.:rolleyes:

I love the sheltered balconies for TAs. We choose a south-facing cabin and are able to sit outside much of the time, even when it's chilly or windy. I've had one for a Caribbean cruise, too, and was happy there.

But for our next cruise this summer, we've booked one of the high glass-front balconies. Even though the deck 6 BV/BU cabins are SUPPOSED to be finished by then, there could be work just down the hall. The thought of the smell of carpet glue made me go for the higher grade cabin. When the refit is finished I may go back down to the sheltered balcony.

Yes, I agree that refit schedules tent to be optimistic. So occasionally I check the Cunard page (https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/refit_schedule) to see if there's been any change to the schedule I quoted above. Of course, there is this line at the bottom of that schedule: "Please note that these dates are subject to change".

Then there's this: "Half of Britannia Balcony staterooms to be refurbished during dry-dock refit" quoted from http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/remastered/remastered-britannia-staterooms-qm2/

Seems that booking a high glass fronted balcony is a good plan :)

We had a high balcony on deck 12 last year under the overhang which we used a few times during the Caribbean cruise. The glass balcony was a treat but difficult to see through the tint and the daily deposit of sea salt made it extra difficult as the balcony glass wasn't cleaned much. I'd say we probably got as much use from the sheltered balcony on past cruises but if given the choice a glass balcony is preferable, not sure about the extra cost though.

Edited by robbie_3