San Juan Departure

Soupergirl

Crowded, on a weekend? I was not prepared for the situation when we were there in March. It was disorganization at best and more like a zoo.

I can't imagine that you would make a 10am flight under any circumstances. I would see about changing asap. Stress levels are high enough with the mass of people disembarking, customs, etc

Mike.

Our flight out of SJU is @10am on Dec. 24th, has anyone gotten off the ship EARLY to catch an early flight out, and did you have any problems, was it as crowded as they say? I'm very nervous...

soupergirl

you should be nervous we flew out of sju dec 25 2004 along with a couple who had a 1130am flight and our flight left at 645pm. they had one hell of a time getting that flight the air lines was us air. not sure how much extra they had to pay but they were sure upset about it.

Unfortunately, you should be very nervous. :( Chances are between slim and none that you'd make a 10AM flight (even at FLL where the airport is only 15 minutes away). Even though the ship gets in early, there is a lot that needs to be set up on shore and the ship has to be cleared by the Port Authorities and U.S. Immigration before ANYONE is allowed to disembark. This can take quite a while, depending on how many ships are in port and most particularly, whether everyone has filled out their immigration forms and turned them in which is almost never the case. Then, you (and hundreds of your fellow passengers at a time) have to disembark, go through Immigration and have your documents double-checked, go through Customs, walk out the terminal, find transportation to the airport, check in and get to your gate. Princess recommends flights no earlier than 12:30PM and there's a reason for that. If there's any delay in the start of disembarkation (I've had it start at 9:30AM in FLL), there's nothing you can do about getting off the ship to make your flight.

Like the others have said, I very strongly suggest that you book a later flight.

I think I saw this question in another thread as well and may have already answered..but I agree with all of the above posters. It is slightly possible you will make the flight, but very very unlikely. Change your flight--pay whatever fee you have to now, because it will be much more expensive to do it the day of the flight.

I agree!! The SJU airport is one of the worst (and most crowded) airports I've ever flown out of! Lines and confusion. Lines and confusion. (Keep repeating this). The reason you got a 10:00 a.m. departure time is because it was a lot cheaper than the later departure times. (And the airlines know this...which is why this time is cheaper, because cruise passengers can't make it!) I've flown out of there a number of times after cruises, and all I can say is...big mess! Dec. 24/weekend - I hate to say it, but a 10:00 a.m. departure time is just not going to work! I really hope you consider changing your departure time! Just my thoughts.

I called Princess to specifically ask what time we could book a flight for departure. The young lady on the phone told me that since San Juan wasn't considered an international flight we could go as early as 1000!. Since then, reading these boards, we chose not to book the 1100 flight out but chose the 1:30 pm flight. I hope we haven't made a mistake with that one either.

I called Princess to specifically ask what time we could book a flight for departure. The young lady on the phone told me that since San Juan wasn't considered an international flight we could go as early as 1000! Since then, reading these boards, we chose not to book the 1100 flight out but chose the 1:30 pm flight. I hope we haven't made a mistake with that one either.
You have not made a mistake. It doesn't matter WHAT airport you're flying out of, unless the ship docks at 4AM and disembarkation is scheduled to start by 6AM (which it does in some foreign ports), there is no way anyone will make a 10AM flight, whether it's FLL, NYC, LAX, or wherever. An 11AM flight is possibly do-able in FLL but then everything would have to go right. Anywhere else, it isn't. The earliest flight I've ever booked was an 11:20AM flight out of FLL and the plane was loading when I got to the gate (the ship didn't start disembarkation until after 9:30AM due to people not turning in their immigration forms). The Princess rep gave you incorrect information. All of their literature recommends booking flights after Noon. There are too many things that could be delayed and you could miss your flight. Why put yourself in that much stress after a great vacation?

We booked custom air thru RCL. They assured us a 10:45 flight would work.

Lets just say we ate $200.00 in non refundable fees by cancelling our air with them and booking our own.....

at 3:09 pm.... Whew :o But I feel much better knowing I will not end my glorious cruise running for an airplane or worse - missing one

• 2 weeks later...
We booked custom air thru RCL. They assured us a 10:45 flight would work.

Lets just say we ate $200.00 in non refundable fees by cancelling our air with them and booking our own.....

at 3:09 pm.... Whew :o But I feel much better knowing I will not end my glorious cruise running for an airplane or worse - missing one

:confused: WHY!! you had a flight thru RCL and cancle :confused:

when they sechule you a early flight they get you off the ship before the others and thru customs,and get you to the airport.

they make the request of taking a flight after noon is for the pass. who makes thier own flight booking.

paul

SJU is a zoo even on a weekday! It is much better if you do the self checkin. We had tipped a porter at the ag station and he walked us over to the self checkin line at AA and stayed with us till our bags were checked, so it did seem to go pretty fast. The line snakes forever!. It is amazing what a 10.00 tip will get you!:D

Had an 11:30 AM flight out of SJU in September. SJU is the worst airport I have ever been through. It is chaotic. I got through the lines and confusion just as my flight was boarding.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Upcoming cruise, I took a 2:00PM flight. I don't care if I have to sit around the airport and wait the heart stopping rush is not worth it.

We Are On The Golden Princess January14th 2006 To January21st 2006

We Leave San Juan @4:10 Pm To Atlanta

We All The Time In The World

From Past Exp At Least Fly Home Afternoon

I Would Change My Flight If Posiable 10:00am Is To Early

Back in Feb 2003 we had booked the air / cruise through Carnival and they had us getting off the Destiny to make a SJU flight home at 09:30! Everyone on this BB said there was no way we'd make it.

Well, not only did we make it, Carnival saw to it that we were the first off the ship, and I mean the first. In a strange way, it was the easiest (though early) disembarkation we ever had. And we were not alone. There was another couple on the same plane we were (they’d taken the air through carnival, and two other groups who had booked early flights on their own.

We are Canadian and had to clear customs too (in SJU you do it off the ship) and I am telling you, we were all alone. Cleared through, took a cab to SJU and had an hour to kill

It can be done, just make sure that Princess will VIP you off the ship.

Soupergirl,

You CAN make it IF......

1. Get the VIP departure off the ship and be the first to leave. The taxi to the airport should take about 20 minutes at most. (I travel to PR about twice a month and have a great deal of experience with SJU)

2. Print your boaring pass out BEFORE you leave the ship.

3. If you are checking luggage, give it to the porter to get it through the x-ray machines outside on the curb. They will bring it to the head of the line.

4. RUN....RUN.....RUN!

just a note, if you are flying on american they have a check in at the pier where they take your luggage and print your boarding pass...it made things sooooo much easier and we just got a cab to the airport and didn't have to worry about checkin lines....

there have been so many times where i had an early flight and made it with time to spare but you really don't want to chance it if you can help it....

Wish we COULD change our flight back...I tried! ALL flight are full both the 24th AND 25th of December!! We may be stuck in SJU alittle longer than we plan, and will miss Christmas with our family in Oregon!:(

Soupergirl

check with the AA web site res.schulde there is openings for out going flights with conecting flights to pdx. on the 24th. also with AA flights changes you might be inc. and on a later flight that is what happen to us had a late afternoon flight and has been change twice to a 7pm departure now. as we live in the D.C. area this does not hurt us .

my mother lives in Eugene and asked me to help anyone from or.

paul

My husband & I flew home out of San Juan Dec 19th last year after sailing on the Golden. I have never encountered a more crowded, disorganized airport in all the years that we've traveled. It was a complete mess. We had a 1:45pm flight to Newark, NJ, & got to the airport via taxi about 11:00. The lines were so long, that we barely made our flight. Luckily they were calling flights out, & pulling people out of line to get them checked in & thru security so you get to the flight ontime. Also, don't know if it was because it was the weekend, & the airport being so busy, but our suitcases were broken into & several items stolen. I would strongly suggest a much later flight home, nothing earlier than say 1:00pm, that way you don't have to rush getting off the ship & can be assured of getting to the airport & being able to catch your flight without running around like crazy.

I am staying one night post cruise in March ( spring break ). We have an 8:20 am flight out of San Juan. What time should we be at the airport to check in? Is the airport busy this early in the morning?

Depends on what day of the week in March. If it's a Sunday, you are (as they say) SOL. If it's a Monday, you need to be at the airport at least two hours before flight time. Spring Break - one of the busiest airport times of the year!

Archived