How long must we wait for the Anthem to leave New JERSEY.

A lot of posters to this thread were not on board the Anthem when the Captain took them right into the Super Storm. A lot of trauma ensued as a result and many passengers will be taking a different approach for future cruises.

Our Captain in January was NOT the same Captain that took over and went through the much publicized Super Storm.

We were on board in January and only had one eventful evening and part of a day. Interior damage was done to the hull, one stabilizer was not working, some windows blew out and made for a very uncomfortable ride. And as I stated before the return from St. Kitts back to Bayonne, we added 286 more miles to the voyage and one more free day at sea as we hugged more of the coastline so as to not get in the path of Super Storm Jonah.

There's no doubt in our minds that this WOULD have happened to any class of ship, size doesn't really matter in times like this. ALTHOUGH being the narrowest new ship class (Quantum) with 16 decks they are more prone to getting tossed more than a wider ship would.

Bottom line we'll be back with 19 of us family and friends in mid July.

The Cargo ship (El Faro) went down because it had cargo on it that more than likely broke free and shifted which made the ship tip over farther than it could handle. That doesn't/won't happen on a cruise ship as there isn't the issue of cargo weight. This has been discussed on other Anthem threads by an experienced merchant and cruise sailor (chengkp75). You do know that stabilizers are only for the passenger's comfort and have nothing to do with safety, right? To the Captain who is an experienced sailor, it was just weather.

And the El Faro went down because it lost power and therefore did not have steerage. There is a reason the expression is "dead in the water".

And the El Faro went down because it lost power and therefore did not have steerage. There is a reason the expression is "dead in the water".

And cruise ships if they lose power in a storm would give an uncomfortable ride, but they wouldn't go down because of it.

BTW, my DH is a retired US Navy Captain so I know what "dead in the water" means and he's experienced much worse seas on an 8000 ton ship.

El Faro also went down in between the Bahamas and FL so using it in an argument about why we shouldn't cruise out of NJ makes zero sense, but whatever.

Edited by BND

And cruise ships if they lose power in a storm would give an uncomfortable ride, but they wouldn't go down because of it.

BTW, my DH is a retired US Navy Captain so I know what "dead in the water" means and he's experienced much worse seas on an 8000 ton ship.

El Faro also went down in between the Bahamas and FL so using it in an argument about why we shouldn't cruise out of NJ makes zero sense, but whatever.

My DH is also a retired Navy Captain, but he is an engineer, not a deckie. The El Faro was a tragedy and sorrow to those of us in Maine as many lost were Maine Maritime grads. However, the loss of the El Faro, because of the size and type of ship as well as the cargo, was very different than the problems and potential issues experienced by the Anthem. There is no basis for comparison.