Celebrity exchange rate or Canadian credit card company?

CathSmith

I've seen this on the boards before but I can't find it now. For the Express Pass; is it better to check "have Celebrity do the rate conversion" or check "have your credit card company do the conversion"?

Celebrity doesn't do the conversion, but farms it out to Global Card Services, and you can be assured that they take a bite of the action. If your financial institution charges you a transaction fee, though, there may not be much of a difference, but if your financial institution charges no conversion transaction fee, definitely opt to have them do it. We use a Chase Canada card when travelling because of the lack of a transaction fee.

I forgot to check the box on my online forms and Celebrity did the exchange. My friends on the same cruise did check the box and their visa card was charged the American prices and did the exchange.

When we got our visa bills we checked, the rates were both the same.

Oh, we were on a 6 to 13 Feb cruise on the Reflection

Never let Celebrity do the conversion. Their rates can be exhorbitant.

I agree about having a credit card that doesn't charge exchange rates. I got one especially for cruising and use it when travelling to Europe and the US. It makes a big difference

I've seen this on the boards before but I can't find it now. For the Express Pass; is it better to check "have Celebrity do the rate conversion" or check "have your credit card company do the conversion"?

Have your card charged in US dollars . You'll get a better exchange rate than with their service.

To reduce the bill in the end . Why not buy some Onboard Credit (OBC) in advance of your cruise ?

I didn't see this option when I checked in for my cruise. Where on My Celebrity can I find it?

Thanks!

I didn't see this option when I checked in for my cruise. Where on My Celebrity can I find it?

Thanks!

It's on your Xpress Pass once you print it. It may vary with your particular Xpress Pass, but on mine for an upcoming cruise it was on the bottom half of the first page.