Oasis - not my favorite, here are some tips!!!

kabux

I'm on Oasis right now.

TIP #1: Really, reserve all the shows ahead of time, no matter what.

The comedy location holds 120 people. Only. We did wait on standby and were incredibly lucky to get in twice as most people did not get in on standby. Now, twice was too much apparently because the two comics (who were great!) repeated their show from 3 nights before, which I found surprising.

So, you got in to see the SAME SHOW twice, and then were disappointed that it was the SAME SHOW??? :rolleyes:

The comedy club is small, but it's the same show all week long, and it's offered twice per night, and it's adults-only. By the time you deduct the children and the people who don't care for "adult" humor, that significantly reduces the number of people going to the show. And you even said that you didn't make a reservation, and yet you STILL got in to see the show TWICE... what on earth is there to complain about here??? :confused:

Also, I've been to the skating show and the aqua show now and there were empty seats at each. In both cases, I walked up about three minutes before the show was scheduled to start.

TIP #2: Take advantage of the other options besides the Windjammer for meals.

There are so many other options, not even including the extra cost ones. The windjammer area also seemed to be the same size as other ships I've been on that accommodated half the number of people as Oasis. Thus, Oasis windjammer is always crowded and difficult to find a seat. Nice, though, that the food is not in one big line but in 4-5 round sections so you can just take what you want and not have to wait behind everyone for just one thing. They also frequently announced requests to move along so others could have a seat, so felt a bit rushed.

Solarium Bistro was great for breakfast - not a giant selection but the basics and quite good, nice and quiet and always got a seat! We also tried Park Cafe for breakfast and again, fewer options but great to sit in the peace of Central Park and eat without a crowd.

I've only eaten in the WJ twice now, but didn't have any problem finding a seat. But yes, people SHOULD take advantage of the various free eateries offered, because that's the whole point of them being here.

TIP #3: Soda package was great but...

there are only 2 areas with the soda machines: two machines on each side entrance of the Windjammer (which wasn't open all the time) and 2 next to Sorrento's on the Promenade. This means that if you want to drink something other than what you can get from a bartender, you have to make a trek to a machine. I prefer Sprite Zero, which was hit or miss at the bars, so I often mapped out my route to the next location past the Promenade to fill my cup. Worked out fine but would've been nice if there were more locations around the ship to refill.

There's actually a Freestyle machine just inside the arcade, too... and the arcade is open 24/7.

TIP #4: Go ahead and get to port early

We arrived at the port about 10:30am and went right through the check in line to the seating area. Seating was VERY well organized and they made sure that the ones who were there first, got onto the ship first. Seating was comfortable and we were boarding about 12:00. Went directly to Windjammer and were lucky to get a seat (see above).

We arrived around 12:30, lines moved very efficiently, and we never had to sit down at all. I didn't time it, but I don't think it was even half an hour from arrival to stepping foot on the ship.

As in all things, your mileage may vary. That's the beauty of cruising -- there are lots of different options available to suit lots of different preferences.

...I just found it odd that such a big ship has such a small, tiny useless buffet for so many people, what was RCL thinking when they build that floating monster? And they did not try to improve when building the other sister ships, yea good job!
There are at least ten no-added-cost venues to grab breakfast in addition to Windjammer: MDR (with both served and buffet options), Wipeout Cafe, Solarium Bistro, Johnny Rockets, Park Cafe, room service and if in a suite Coastal Kitchen; and lighter fare at Promenade Cafe, Sorrento's and if Diamond in the Diamond Lounge), and comparable choices at lunch. With eleven places to grab breakfast (nine open to any passenger on the ship), my assumption is that RCI thought (and thinks) that people would quickly figure out that they don't have to continue jamming themselves into "a small, tiny useless buffet"; perhaps RCI underestimated the number of times someone would continue to go to something they have deemed useless.

...when they were first designing the first freedom class ship it was called large voyager or something along those lines. Sorry I probably totally am off on the name but you get the point. They are similar to each other in every way other than Freedom class is a tad bigger.
Very close: Freedom class design name was Ultra-Voyager. Stretched 92 feet with some added bells and whistles, but still the same basic deck plans.

There are at least ten no-added-cost venues to grab breakfast in addition to Windjammer: MDR (with both served and buffet options), Wipeout Cafe, Solarium Bistro, Johnny Rockets, Park Cafe, room service and if in a suite Coastal Kitchen; and lighter fare at Promenade Cafe, Sorrento's and if Diamond in the Diamond Lounge), and comparable choices at lunch. With eleven places to grab breakfast (nine open to any passenger on the ship), my assumption is that RCI thought (and thinks) that people would quickly figure out that they don't have to continue jamming themselves into "a small, tiny useless buffet"; perhaps RCI underestimated the number of times someone would continue to go to something they have deemed useless.

ASSumptions......;)

Who said anything about not trying anything different?:rolleyes: I was simply making the point that the Peoplejammer was just too small, no need to get so worked up, calm down it is all good!

Good tips. Yeah, Oasis class isn't our favorite either. We've done Freedom class otherwise and much prefer it. Similar food quality, still plenty to do, and what felt like far less people. For us, the Oasis suffered in the fitness center, busy promenade, and disconnected feeling from the ocean as well. I can't wait to try the next smaller class with the Navigator in a month. Appears to be much more similar to Freedom class than Oasis class.

Dan

The only difference that I experienced between Freedom class and Voyager class is the flow rider. Otherwise, the ships seem identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The only difference that I experienced between Freedom class and Voyager class is the flow rider. Otherwise, the ships seem identical.

I think the cantilever hot tubs on Freedom class give the Solarium on those ships more area for loungers.