SilverSea Price Hike-- Med Voyage

descartes1

We booked and paid for a Med voyage this summer. The cost upon booking many months ago was $4,140. I see now that for out suite category (V2) the cost has now jumped to $6,350.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to have booked at the lower fare. However, I'm wondering why there has been such a significant price increase. (Typically, the price goes down, not up, as you get closer to the sail date as SS tries to fill the ship).

I'm thinking this may have something to do with customers wanting to avoid Istanbul for security reasons, hence increasing the demand for out voyage 9which does not port in Istanbul).

Does anyone know?

I suspect is has more to do with the "all Exclusive Inclusive" meaning the new fare reflects included airfare and in some instances a pre-cruise hotel stay. Guests/agents have the option of booking the segment either way. I am not a travel agent but perhaps someone else confirm my thoughts.

I suspect is has more to do with the "all Exclusive Inclusive" meaning the new fare reflects included airfare and in some instances a pre-cruise hotel stay. Guests/agents have the option of booking the segment either way. I am not a travel agent but perhaps someone else confirm my thoughts.

Well, after the all-inclusive was offered there was a modest fare hike of only a few hundred dollars pp. More recently (and well after the change to all inclusive), however, there was this large hike of more than $2,000 pp. So, I'm thinking that it's some other factor.

Looking further at the itineraries, I see that all the port visits in Turkey have been scraped, which leads me to believe that the fares have been hiked on other ports due to demand and the cost is being passed off to customers. Or, customer demand is simply higher for the non-Turkish port itineraries, which created an opportunity to hike fares.

Edited by descartes1

Looking further at the itineraries, I see that all the port visits in Turkey have been scraped, which leads me to believe that the fares have been hiked on other ports due to demand and the cost is being passed off to customers. Or, customer demand is simply higher for the non-Turkish port itineraries, which created an opportunity to hike fares.

There are still a number of itineraries that include Istanbul, Dikili, and Kusadasi so it would appear that Silversea hasn't completely pulled out of Turkey.

Yes you are right . They are going after Regent as they offer Shore Excursions, WiFi, Airfare and Transfers, Pre-Cruise Hotel

Or if you prefer to make your own plans, book just the cruise and you’ll still enjoy free shore excursions. Less money

We were considering the Wind TA in Nov '17 but I see that has risen in price by £300 to £3150 and the 7 day Western Caribbean sector immediately after has risen by £100 to £1650. And those prices must have risen quite recently - certainly within the past month when last I checked.

Must be the rise in fuel prices.:eek:

Edited by Tothesunset

The new, increased fare does not appear to include airfare, and a hike of about $4,500 seems a bit steep for adding wifi and shore excursions.

Personally, I prefer going a la carte because I prefer to plan my own shore excursions.

Must be the rise in fuel prices.:eek:

Fuel prices very low right now compared to what they were. Plus, I strongly suspect cruise companies, like SilverSea, buy hedging contracts to manage the risk in fluctuations of fuel costs.

Interestingly, Seabourn has employed exactly the opposite pricing strategy. Originally their fares for a nearly identical Med Voyage in August we much more expensive than SilverSea's, but they have now dropped them by thousands of dollars per person.

The base rate for the Seabourn voyage is now only $2,800 compared to the SilverSea base rate of $5,850. Again, this for a nearly identical itinerary. That's a crazy price difference between two similar products, even factoring in free wifi and shore excursions.

Interestingly, Seabourn has employed exactly the opposite pricing strategy. Originally their fares for a nearly identical Med Voyage in August we much more expensive than SilverSea's, but they have now dropped them by thousands of dollars per person.

The base rate for the Seabourn voyage is now only $2,800 compared to the SilverSea base rate of $5,850. Again, this for a nearly identical itinerary. That's a crazy price difference between two similar products, even factoring in free wifi and shore excursions.

I found it how much is your AIRFARE* & TRANSFERS Free-Shore-Excursions and INCLUDED HOTEL

On Seabourn they do not include that

You can get it removed and should be around 400.00 per day

Edited by Stevanb

I found it how much is your AIRFARE* & TRANSFERS Free-Shore-Excursions and INCLUDED HOTEL

On Seabourn they do not include that

You can get it removed and should be around 400.00 per day

I see nothing that says airfare and hotel are included in the SilverSea voyage. Indeed, when you click on the "What's Included" airfare and hotel are not listed.

Edited by descartes1

Here is what's listed as being included per the SilverSea website:

Included in this Cruise

•Spacious suites – over 85% with private verandas

•Personalised service – nearly one crew member for every guest

•Butler service in every suite – all guests are pampered equally

•Open-seating dining options – dine when and with whomever you please

•Diversity of dining venues – casual, romantic, regional delicacies, and gourmet cuisine inspired by Relais & Châteaux

•Beverages in-suite and throughout the ship – select wines, premium spirits, specialty coffees and soft drinks, plus your own tailored mini-bar

•In-suite dining and 24-hour room service – always complimentary, always available

•Sophisticated entertainment from live music to production shows

•Enrichment lecturer and/or destination consultant

•Complimentary transportation into town in most ports

•Gratuities always included in your fare

•Free WiFi throughout the ship; unlimited in select suite categories

•Free Silver Shore Select Excursions

Look at where it says

Exclusive offers

• The Most Exclusive All-Inclusive

If you click on it it will say

All-Inclusive Packages on 2016 Mediterranean, Asia and Africa Voyages Include: Shore Excursions, WiFi, Airfare and Transfers, Pre-Cruise Hotel (or Safari)