Something new on Seabourn

jocar3

We are on the Sojourn. Tonight in the Herald was something entitled LGBT get together. We didn't know what that meant so we googled it. This is what we found-Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender. Wow! Things are a changing.

We are on the Sojourn. Tonight in the Herald was something entitled LGBT get together. We didn't know what that meant so we googled it. This is what we found-Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender. Wow! Things are a changing.

They always had these kinds of 'get togethers' (Friends of Dorothy). Seabourn has always attracted gay couples.

The Friends of Dorothy get togethers are nothing new... they are perhaps just showing signs of progress in that they no longer fear offending the old guard (and this using a sly euphemism).

Seabourn has also been no stranger to the LGBT community... I'm aware of a couple of full charters by the Atlantis organization. The LGBT community definitely drops serious coin on travel and Seabourn would be silly not to be accommodating.

Back on track I think you get to know most people on Seabourn cruises so group gatherings are possibly less important that they are on larger ships where you might not see some people all cruise.

Singles gatherings help break the ice, not everyone finds it easy to wander in on their own and strike up a conversation. One of the great joys of Seabourn for me is the inclusive nature on board. You meet all sorts from all walks of life including some very colourful characters. Everyone has a story to tell and it's not always the one you might think from reading the cover.

Henry :)

Yes, they are a changing. When I went on my first cruise back in 1980 on RCI never in my wildest dreams would they have offered a GLBT get-together. Even in the 90's I don't ever recall a GLBT get-together. This is only maybe offered in the last 10-15 years on most of major lines.

Here is a great article about GLBT/FOD parties in Cruisecritic. This gives more specifics and history about GLBT/FOD gatherings:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=188

once a lady on board thought the meetings Friends of Bill W was a gathering of "masons"

I was once at a shared table and innocently commented - my, what good friends Bill must have, they all came to sail with him - my tablemates tried to conceal chuckles, and I never knew why. I'm glad everybody's comfortable now.

On our first ever cruise we assumed Bill W was on a cruise with his large extended family and they were meeting up.

On our second cruise I commented that Bill W was on board again and we must find out who he is assuming him to be some legendary regular on Royal Caribbean.

We were soon informed by fellow guests !

I am disappointed that a handful of my fellow passengers are posting comments that they must think are comical, but are in fact insensitive. Think before you post. Thank goodness you posters are the minority of the actual passengers. I am thankful too that other posters here could care less one way or the other. If you like a fellow passeneger, you do not care about their race, religion, national origin, sexual identity, sexual preference, etc. is.

Edited by Hobar

I am disappointed that a handful of my fellow passengers are posting comments that they must think are comical, but are in fact insensitive. Think before you post. Thank goodness you posters are the minority of the actual passengers. I am thankful too that other posters here could care less one way or the other. If you like a fellow passeneger, you do not care about their race, religion, national origin, sexual identity, sexual preference, etc. is.

Again as usual?....there will be someone to find a comment as distasteful to be viewed as the sensitivity officer:rolleyes:

I saw nothing and the LGBT groups will always be the first to make comics of their own selves! Have been on Crystal and Azamara with this "said" group and my husband and I had a ball!!!

I would much rather sail wth an LGBT group than a political or religious group...these last 2 are no fun to have to be stuck with:o

Well, yeah we are fabulous, if I might say so. And Dorothy has always been around on all cruises, although she might have been too busy taking care of Toto, the Scarecrow and the Tin Man to make her presence, and the presence of her friends, known.

Hey, come on. Surely true acceptance of someone is the ability to break bread and share humour. Treading on egg shells will never pull down barriers.

I happily share my table with all based on the person.

Hey, come on. Surely true acceptance of someone is the ability to break bread and share humour. Treading on egg shells will never pull down barriers.

I happily share my table with all based on the person.

You couldn't be more right! :D

Yeah, okay. The hate is deafening, isn't it?