Family pool - NCL Escape

slmorange

Does anyone know if pool noodles/kick boards are allowed in the family pool? My littlest one is a very beginner swimmer and won't be comfortable in 5 foot deep water. He will though with the use of a noodle/kick board. I'd hate to pack/lug around such things if he wouldn't be able to use them. Thanks!

I don't recall seeing anything like that on Getaway. The pools are fairly small so I'm not sure if that would be allowed. I have seen kids with those inflatable floatie things on their arms, maybe those are a better choice?

The pools more detailed rules are posted on the ships, as opposed to on their site. Super helpful, I know. I would think personal flotation devices (eg life jacket, arm floaties, etc) would be okay, but items that could be considered a toy (eg a noodle, raft, etc) would not. The more space the item takes up would likely make it cause for complaint.

From the Breakaway. It's probably the same on all ships. It doesn't say anything about pool noodles or kick boards. If I remember correctly, I did see children with noodles in January and on our cruise in 2014 kids used small blow up tubes.

20160113_114703_zpsvo1jfral.jpg

Thanks for posting the rules. My 13 year old is disappointed he won't be able to go in the adult pool on the Getaway like he could on the Dawn. I am shocked the max load is 26! I wonder if they strictly enforce that? Or is this the rules next to the splash pad? It says only 8 inches deep!

Edited by Mistizoom

Thanks for posting the rules. My 13 year old is disappointed he won't be able to go in the adult pool on the Getaway like he could on the Dawn. I am shocked the max load is 26! I wonder if they strictly enforce that? Or is this the rules next to the splash pad? It says only 8 inches deep!

I think this was next to the splash pad but they are the same at both. I never saw too many people in the children's pool or splash pad area.

I have never seen noodles but personal floatation devices. Arm bands that don't do anything, What the girl in that picture has on, and life vests mostly.

I just ask that Please please please please be in the water with your child if you know they can't touch the bottom and swim back up to the side. There are no lifeguards and no one is watching but you. Sure there are security cameras watching for later review if a accident ever happened but no one can pull your kid out but YOU.

If your cruise is a while a way swim lessons would be a great way to get ready. Most local YMCA's offer water safety swim classes pretty cheap.

Gee JenJer, I hope you didn't assume that I would let my kid swim without me just because I asked if he would be allowed to have a device that makes him comfortable in the pool.

I am also so glad that you recommended swim lessons, because he has been in them for years but is still timid in the water.

I've been on these boards for a while researching our very first cruise, that we are so very excited for. You have given some great and helpful advice/info. But this comment comes off as pretentious and assuming and not at all helpful.

I don't think there was ANYTHING in Jenjer post that would come off as pretenious, assuming or not helpful. I read it as being a caring person, nothing more. I have been on a number of cruises and you would actually be surprised at the number of seemingly unsupervised children there are. I say unassumingly because I am sure there are a good number of parents that are watching their kids like a hawk from close by. I do hope that you enjoy your cruise a lot!

Gee JenJer, I hope you didn't assume that I would let my kid swim without me just because I asked if he would be allowed to have a device that makes him comfortable in the pool.

I am also so glad that you recommended swim lessons, because he has been in them for years but is still timid in the water.

I've been on these boards for a while researching our very first cruise, that we are so very excited for. You have given some great and helpful advice/info. But this comment comes off as pretentious and assuming and not at all helpful.

I don't think her comment was pretentious at all. It's not necessarily about how careful you yourself are, to me it's just a warning that not all parents are as careful and will just let their kids play in there unsupervised.

Two years ago, there was a child that drowned on the Breakaway. I forget where the parents were. But I think it is worth noting that the kids pool is really really deep, and there are TONS of kids in there. It's really easy to lose track of your kid. Two years ago on Getaway my kids were 7 and 5 and I sat about five feet away from the pool and never took my eyes off them. The pool is overcrowded and kids are constantly jumping into it without even looking to see if they are going to land on anyone.

I do think Norwegian should have a lifeguard at the pool considering this is a line that appeals to families. But I guess they don't want the liability so they just say "swim at your own risk".

I did not mean to offend you. You will find that many parents put children in water wings or with a noodle and think they are safe. They are the opposite of safe because it gives the kids a false sense of security. Even a life vest can cause them to slip out if the crotch strap is not used.

I have been involved in multiple water rescues over the years. In every single one of those events (all with positive outcomes) the parents where busy on the phone, getting a drink, going to bathroom ect. Its terrifying to pull a child off the bottom of a pool.

This has never on a cruise ship I was on but I can not sit anyplace near the family pool without being on edge because of so many risky behaviors. That's me that's my experience and time spent around pools.

I agree with you the kids pool should not be 5ft deep, adult pool sure but not the kids pool. I wonder why but guess it has to do with plumbing and water chemistry.

I'm seriously surprised by the lack of lifeguards. You would think at a pool designated a family pool that is as deep as it is, they would put at least one lifeguard.

Maybe Disney spoiled me. They have lifeguards everywhere even in the very shallow Mickey pool.

I'm seriously surprised by the lack of lifeguards. You would think at a pool designated a family pool that is as deep as it is, they would put at least one lifeguard.

Maybe Disney spoiled me. They have lifeguards everywhere even in the very shallow Mickey pool.

Most cruise lines don't - it's swim at your own risk, which I'm sure saves them money on insurance. I don't think DCL had them until after a boy drowned.

Kids can wear those "water wing" things....but toys and floats take up too much space. The pools are quite crowded as it is with only bodies!

It is up to YOU to protect and watch your child.....even at our local pool, the lifeguards are there to enforce the rules, but parents are still required to watch their kids!

Edited by cb at sea

I don't know if they are lifeguards but when we were on the Escape in December there was always an NCL employee on the ship deck outside of the kid's pool. He had a whistle and he was constantly blowing his whistle whenever the adults would bring drinks into the pool area. I don't know if he would take any sort of action if a kid was drowning but there was always someone watching over the pool area.

I don't know if they are lifeguards but when we were on the Escape in December there was always an NCL employee on the ship deck outside of the kid's pool. He had a whistle and he was constantly blowing his whistle whenever the adults would bring drinks into the pool area. I don't know if he would take any sort of action if a kid was drowning but there was always someone watching over the pool area.

I'm no lawyer...

Seems to me if they had an employee to prevent drinks from entering the pool, then they are taking some level of responsibility for behavior at the pool. I would think they would be just as liable as if the person was a lifeguard.

Good catch. Children are warned against using the pool ... Wow

The employees with the whistles are not life guards.they are sports staff members. I have never observed them behave as a trained life guard would. They are mostly watching the outside of the pool area not the body of water.

We just came off the Escape last week and my kids (ages 10,8,and 5) barely used the pool. It's not really a kid friendly pool at all. It's way too deep and with how much the ship moves, it feels like a wave pool :eek:. There were times when the water would shift and even I could barely touch the bottom, and I'm 5'8". The pool decks design on this ship is awful.