port canaveral transportation question

We are flying into orlando 2 days before our cruise and staying at a hotel about 5 miles from the port. We plan to go to the Kennedy space center for the day, the day before our cruise. My question is has anyone ever rented a car there? And if so was there a close place to return it by the port? Or is it just cheaper to grab a taxi. Also are there any shuttle/taxi services you would reccomend? Thanks for any info. We have never cruised from this port before and trying g to plan the best options.

We sailed out of Port Canaveral in early February after flying into Orlando. I rented a car through Budget and picked it up at the airport. Having a car was so handy in the Cocoa Beach area and would be a great way to get to the space center too. I am not sure of the cab rates in that area but my rental was less than 35 dollars for one day. It was easy to return it the following day although the lines were horrible for those picking up cars at that location. Budget offered a free shuttle to the port that left shortly after we dropped off the car. For our post cruise transportation to the airport we used a shuttle service that we had reserved prior to cruising. If my memory is correct it cost about 20 dollars PP.

Hope this helps with your planning. Happy cruising!

Deb

Although you didn't say how you plan to get to the hotel, you may find it worth renting a one-way car from the Orlando Airport and returning it to the Port Canaveral location. Cars are usually less expensive from the airport than in Port Canaveral, but of course do your research. Depending on time of year, I have seen full size cars as low as $15-30 per day. All the major agencies (Budget, Hertz, Avis, National, Dollar, Enterprise, Alamo, etc.) have an outlet in MCO and PC and all of them offer a free shuttle to and from the cruise port. Check over on the Florida Departures board (where this thread will probably be moved anyway) to see many posts about this topic.

Hi we did travel on the same route and i did rent a car at MCO from Hertz, used it for a couple of days and returned to their location close to the port, they provide a free shuttle to the ships every 15 minutes or when demand is higher they try to be as fast as possible :-)

They will drop you right in front of your ship ...

I think we rented form Hertz. Picked up at airport and dropped off near cruise port. they shuttled us to port and picked us up after cruise and we got another rental. Worked out great because part of Coco beach we stayed in did not have many restaurant's close by.

We rented budget at MCO on Friday dropped off at port canaveral sat . Then got again on sat we returned and dropped off at MCO Sunday very smooth . I filled the tank at port canaveral real full and it was still showing full when we got to mco

Flew into MCO and rented from Budget. We stayed at the Radisson at the Port. On the morning of the cruise, brother and I took the car back to the rental place at PC. The shuttle dropped us off at the Radisson on their way to the ship. There, we joined our wives and got our luggage and boarded the Radisson shuttle to the ship.

After the cruise, I boarded the Budget shuttle, brother, SIL and wife boarded the Radisson shuttle. I got a vehicle and headed back to the hotel. The following day, we all headed to MCO and turned the vehicle in at the airport. Just make sure you fill the gas tank before turning it in. They charge an arm and a leg if they have to do it. And don't do it near the airport. Their prices are out of this world.

Flew into MCO and rented from Budget. We stayed at the Radisson at the Port. On the morning of the cruise, brother and I took the car back to the rental place at PC. The shuttle dropped us off at the Radisson on their way to the ship. There, we joined our wives and got our luggage and boarded the Radisson shuttle to the ship.

After the cruise, I boarded the Budget shuttle, brother, SIL and wife boarded the Radisson shuttle. I got a vehicle and headed back to the hotel. The following day, we all headed to MCO and turned the vehicle in at the airport. Just make sure you fill the gas tank before turning it in. They charge an arm and a leg if they have to do it. And don't do it near the airport. Their prices are out of this world.

Thanks for this summary - sounds like exactly what we did several years ago and may book again in Feb 2017... how was the Radisson?? We loved it back in 2006!! You mentioned the port shuttle - so that's good to know that they still have it - do they still have a free breakfast??

Thanks again for the info!

One-Way car rentals between MCO & PC/Cocoa Beach are often suggested. All of the major rental agencies (Avis, Hertz, Etc.) have locations in the area and offer free port shuttles. Shop around for your best deal - sometimes you can find good discount codes for FLA rentals on some of the WDW boards. Good luck! :)