Is there a shuttle in Venice?

canadarocks

Thanks. How long a walk is it to the People Mover from the pier?

I guess it depends on where the ship docks but when we were there in October on Princess I would say it was a good 20 min walk ... mostly through the dock area. Once out of the dock area, short walk to people mover.

And, yes, price then was 1.5 Euros. There is a machine to get tickets. You tell it how many tickets you want and it gives change.

Thanks. How long a walk is it to the People Mover from the pier?
If you are at the nearest pier (the one nearest 'B' in the picture) it's about 1,300 feet, or a ship length and a half to the center station of the People Mover. If you are docked at the farthest pier, where we were, it's about 3 times that.

There is a machine to get tickets. You tell it how many tickets you want and it gives change.
Cash only, no credit cards, right? I can't remember. :) Edited by jtl513

We got off pretty early to allow for unexpected delays. We were in the berth closest to the people mover and allowed 30 minutes to P. Roma and 15 minutes to purchase bus tickets and board the bus. We chose an earlier bus than necessary just in case. We took our luggage off ourselves, easy.

Our flight out was 12.15 on easyjet to Enngland.

I suggest this: Check the bus schedlue, pick the bus that would get you there 2 hrs ahead of flight time, then plan on 1 bus earlier. Allow 45-minutes to get to the bus from the ship, 60 mins if you are in the farthest berth because it is a long walk to the people mover station from there.

Edited by RMLincoln

We got off pretty early to allow for unexpected delays. We were in the berth closest to the people mover and allowed 30 minutes to P. Roma and 15 minutes to purchase bus tickets and board the bus. We chose an earlier bus than necessary just in case. We took our luggage off ourselves, easy.

I suggest this: Check the bus schedlue, pick the bus that would get you there 2 hrs ahead of flight time, then plan on 1 bus earlier. Allow 45-minutes to get to the bus from the ship, 60 mins if you are in the farthest berth because it is a long walk to the people mover station from there.

Thanks. One thing to our advantage is that we overnight in Venice the night before. So we will know exactly how long a walk it is from where we end up docking.

Thank you both. We have a flight at 12:50pm the day we disembark. If we want to do the People Mover - ATVO Bus route, what time should we be aiming to get off the ship?
To take the bus I would get off as early as possible. I would rather sit in the airport terminal a couple of hours than worry about making it!

If you can't get off early, I would say take a taxi for 45>50 Euro (before tip), a 20>25 min ride to the airport.

Edited by catl331

To take the bus I would get off as early as possible. I would rather sit in the airport terminal a couple of hours than worry about making it!

If you can't get off early, I would say take a taxi for 45>50 Euro (before tip), a 20>25 min ride to the airport.

Since we're overnighting I'm assuming we can get off REALLY early. The itinerary lists it as 6:00am. Are you suggesting that early? :eek:

Since we're overnighting I'm assuming we can get off REALLY early. The itinerary lists it as 6:00am. Are you suggesting that early? :eek:
No, I meant 8:00-ish rather than the last group around 9:30. For a international flight we always plan on being at the airport 2 hours before, and figured at least an hour ship-to-terminal by bus. When we debarked there was no delay getting our luggage or clearing customs, but there could be. Edited by catl331

No, I meant 8:00-ish rather than the last group around 9:30. For a international flight we always plan on being at the airport 2 hours before, and figured at least an hour ship-to-terminal by bus.

We're flying to Paris (:D). Does that make a difference in terms of what time we should disembark?

We're flying to Paris (:D). Does that make a difference in terms of what time we should disembark?
In that case you would need less lead time at the airport - and it would be less of a problem if you missed your flight, presuming that you are not just connecting to another flight.

In that case you would need less lead time at the airport - and it would be less of a problem if you missed your flight, presuming that you are not just connecting to another flight.

No we're spending some time in Paris... but I still don't want to risk missing our flight! ;)

I checked my notes but didn't write down much in the way of times. I notes that we left the ship at 7:15 self disembarkation.... we were way too early for a 12:15 flight. I think we took the 8:20 bus, only 3 of us on it so not crowded! But I'd rather be early than late - we were at the airport before 8am!

I'd probably slip it if I could but my memory was that if we left after 7:15 we couldn't do the self-disembarkation.... and we really benefited from having our luggage overnight to do our final pack in the morning, pajamas, night things etc. and do a final weighing before the strict restrictions on checked weights for our flight.

Of course we had lots of time to do that at the airport but I hate having to lay open luggage in the airport. So, all in all, it was early but worked out ok for us. And for what it's worth, we also overnighted in Venice before disembarking.

A taxi may be easier... there were several when we left at 7:15 but I don't know if there're there at, say, 9:00. Maybe others can speak to that. I guess I didn't want to risk it and get stuck "behind the curve". m--

Wow, you made very good time! :D:D

OOPS. My mistake; taking the 8:20 bus we were there before 9am! No we didn't cross a time zone! It probably felt earlier to me though, ugh,

Then the long wait until we could check our bags in at 10:15, then wait for our gate to be announced.... finally a 12:15 flight. But we didn't miss it and we didn't have to stress, just needed to have something to read in the meantime. m--

No shuttle, but there is a "People Mover". I believe the price is now 1.5 Euro.

attachment.php?attachmentid=309954&d=1397912896

I've seen "people mover" refer to:

A) moving sidewalks

B) those moving bucket things that they have at places like Disneyland (sort of like a ski lift)

C) more of a tram type vehicle

Which do you mean in this case?

I've seen "people mover" refer to:

A) moving sidewalks

B) those moving bucket things that they have at places like Disneyland (sort of like a ski lift)

C) more of a tram type vehicle

Which do you mean in this case?[/QUOTe]Light rail, like Seattle! :) One train (4 cars) starts from Troncetto and one from Piazzale Roma at the same time and they pass where the track splits at the mid-point, Marittima (port) station.

https://www.google.com/search?q=venice+peoplemover&espv=2&biw=1821&bih=857&site=webhp&tbm=isch&imgil=xTTX-7Ij3rF_XM%253A%253Bior1-rfOjL9FAM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.travelsignposts.com%25252FVenice%25252Fgetting-around%25252Fvenice-people-mover&source=iu&pf=m&fir=xTTX-7Ij3rF_XM%253A%252Cior1-rfOjL9FAM%252C_&usg=__KR53NXT4nwQKNEm_165pYEbsG-s%3D&dpr=0.75&ved=0ahUKEwiwkI6XgaPLAhXDWSYKHUsWAY8QyjcIPg&ei=jmPXVrCROMOzmQHLrIT4CA#imgrc=xTTX-7Ij3rF_XM%3A

Edited by jtl513

With a 12:50 Domestic (EU) flight we would want to be at the airport by 10:30 (we tend to be overly cautious). That time of day the ATVO leaves the P. Roma every 30 min at 20 and 50 min past the hour so you would want to make the 9:50. We would probably want to be off the ship (with our luggage) by around 9 or shortly thereafter.

Hank

With a 12:50 Domestic (EU) flight we would want to be at the airport by 10:30 (we tend to be overly cautious). That time of day the ATVO leaves the P. Roma every 30 min at 20 and 50 min past the hour so you would want to make the 9:50. We would probably want to be off the ship (with our luggage) by around 9 or shortly thereafter.

Hank

Perfect. Thank you so much for all of your help with my many questions Hank! :cool: