Epic. Shuttle to port gates or further

Trickster999

Marseilles - There is a shuttle bus to the city centre (about 20 minutes drive I think). When I last docked there on the Epic they wanted about $12 for it.

Livorno - There is a shuttle bus to the town centre. Again, it's chargeable and about $5 rings a bell. Sometimes they also offer one to the train station which costs more but is handy if you are going to Pisa or Florence by yourself.

Naples - No need for shuttle buses. The city is right in front of you.

Thanks Keith

Marsaille... Is that 12$ return?

Napels..... What's the city like?

Yes, $12 return, but that was in 2013 I think. The Epic hasn't been going there for the past couple of years.

Naples, hmmm, how can I put this.

There are lots of really interesting places in the area (Pompeii, Sorento, Herculaneum, Capri etc), so it is a great port to visit. The city itself has some things of interest as well, and I'm sure people will be along to defend it soon. However, in my opinion it is a dump, by far the most run down and neglected port that I have ever visited.

It's an interesting place, with some things to see and some good restaurants (the pizza is apparently great), but as a place to wander around, I can't think of anywhere worse to be honest, unless you have a thing for dilapidated buildings, graffiti and laundry hanging from windows. :)

Sorry I can't be more positive. I'm sure someone will be along soon with a more upbeat assessment.

Keith,

Do you know anything about the shuttle from Barcelona port into Barcelona? I know it goes to the Columbus monument. But, I but don't know where to find it once off the ship or when it begins to run and if it runs throughout the day in case people want to return early.

I'm trying to decide if I should take the shuttle to the Columbus monument and then find a taxi to take me to Sagrada Familia or if I should just take a taxi directly there from the port. I'm concerned that cabs won't want to go into town when the majority of the people will go to the airport. I want to buy advance tickets to Sagrada Familia and trying to figure out the specific timed entrance to purchase.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Mary Jon

Thanks again.

Napels... We will probably take the ( very expensive) ncl excursion to Pompelli ( wife is nervous about doing it on our own or using a non ncl company for fear of missing the sailing ).

In my opinion, the Pompeii excursion is extremely overpriced at over 100 E pp for a 4 hour tour. Some of the others are even more overpriced. It is very very easy to do on your own for just a few Euros, and not a big risk. One train. No changes, confusion. Cab to train, take train a few stops (about 30 minutes); Train is a short walk from entrance to Pompeii. Might take a bit to get a cab to take you to train because they are looking for long hauls, but not that hard.

Even if something bad happened, i.e., you got there and trains went on strike in middle of the day, it would still be materially cheaper to take a cab back to port than the price of the NCL excursion. And since it is only about 30 minutes by train, and the Epic gets into Naples at 7AM and doesn't leave port until 7PM, it is in my opinion one of the easiest least risky ports to do on your own because the ship leaves port so late. Just go early in the morning. You will be more than ready to come back mid-afternoon. We have done the train twice I think, once going to Sorrento also and training back.

Last time we took a Cant be Missed Tours tour to Pompeii and Sorrento, and are doing it again in April this year. It was 70 E per person. Took ship shuttle to town square, and then tour bus right from there. The entire bus was filed with folks from the Epic, and we got back in plenty of time.

Terry

Keith,

Do you know anything about the shuttle from Barcelona port into Barcelona? I know it goes to the Columbus monument. But, I but don't know where to find it once off the ship or when it begins to run and if it runs throughout the day in case people want to return early.

I'm trying to decide if I should take the shuttle to the Columbus monument and then find a taxi to take me to Sagrada Familia or if I should just take a taxi directly there from the port. I'm concerned that cabs won't want to go into town when the majority of the people will go to the airport. I want to buy advance tickets to Sagrada Familia and trying to figure out the specific timed entrance to purchase.

Mary Jon

Sorry, I can't help much as I've always boarded in Barcelona. I've only ever gone to or from the port in a taxi.

I would say that unless there happen to be loads of ships in port then getting a taxi from there should be fairly easy (maybe 5-10 minutes wait). I doubt whether they will have any problem with the short journey as they can turn back and get another fare quite quickly.

Its probably easier to get a taxi from the port than from Columbus. If I was using the shuttle then I'd probably plan on using the metro aft that rather than a taxi. It's pretty good in Barcelona.

You see quite a few people walking. Some on he suggest not to, but it doesn't look too bad to me.

Sorry I can't be more help. You are right, by the way, to buy your tickets for Sagrada Familia in advance.

In my opinion, the Pompeii excursion is extremely overpriced at over 100 E pp for a 4 hour tour. Some of the others are even more overpriced. It is very very easy to do on your own for just a few Euros, and not a big risk. One train. No changes, confusion. Cab to train, take train a few stops (about 30 minutes); Train is a short walk from entrance to Pompeii. Might take a bit to get a cab to take you to train because they are looking for long hauls, but not that hard.

Even if something bad happened, i.e., you got there and trains went on strike in middle of the day, it would still be materially cheaper to take a cab back to port than the price of the NCL excursion. And since it is only about 30 minutes by train, and the Epic gets into Naples at 7AM and doesn't leave port until 7PM, it is in my opinion one of the easiest least risky ports to do on your own because the ship leaves port so late. Just go early in the morning. You will be more than ready to come back mid-afternoon. We have done the train twice I think, once going to Sorrento also and training back.

Last time we took a Cant be Missed Tours tour to Pompeii and Sorrento, and are doing it again in April this year. It was 70 E per person. Took ship shuttle to town square, and then tour bus right from there. The entire bus was filed with folks from the Epic, and we got back in plenty of time.

Terry

This is true. In fact, you don't even need t get a taxi to the station as there is a metro station just in front of the port. The Naples metro is pretty new and efficient. It's quite out of character for Naples.

However, on the other hand, whilst the transport is quite easy and there is plenty of time to get back to the ship, I thought that train out towards Pompeii was particularly crowded and uncomfortable. Also, the OP says they aren't planning on using tours, so as a one off which is more comfortable than doing it yourself then it may not be a bad idea to just go with NCL, especially if there are concerned about travelling too far whilst DIYing.

Do ncl provide a free shuttle from the ship to the port gates or further in

1 Marsailles

2 Livrono

3 Napels

Thanks.

( this is a repost of one I did earlier which I hope will end up linked to the page that only shows epic posts)

1. Current NCL prices (January 2016 on Epic) are normally $15 return for shuttles so I would expect this to be the case in Marseilles.

2. $15 return for NCL shuttle to train station. €5 return for local shuttle to Livorno town centre (not run by NCL but departs from the quay next to the NCL shuttle).

3. Not needed.

This is true. In fact, you don't even need t get a taxi to the station as there is a metro station just in front of the port. The Naples metro is pretty new and efficient. It's quite out of character for Naples.

Sorry for the stupid question, but is the Metro a train, bus or tram? We are only going as far as Ercolano as I'm much more interested in Herculaneum than Pompeii. I know its smaller but I believe everything is better preserved.

Sorry for the stupid question, but is the Metro a train, bus or tram? We are only going as far as Ercolano as I'm much more interested in Herculaneum than Pompeii. I know its smaller but I believe everything is better preserved.

It's an underground train.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naples_Metro

As you get off the ship. Head straight ahead, over the main road and Municipio station is towards the far right corner of the big square ahead of you which closely resembles a building site. The fare is quite cheap and from memory you need to go to Garibaldi station where you can then get on the Circusvesuviana train that goes to Ercolano, Pompeii and Sorrento.

Make sure you get off at Ercolano Scavi station and then head down the hill (i'm pretty sure there are signs), towards Ercolano. About a 10 minute walk from memory.

Ercolano is the bit which is in a slightly worse state of repair than the occupied areas surrounding it. :)

I think you are making a good decision by the way. Ercolano is a lot smaller than Pompeii which means that you can take it all in. There are some bits that it is missing compared to Pompeii, but I think I preferred it.

Keith,

Mary Jon

Inside the Barcelona terminal you will see a small stand selling bus transfers to downtown for EU5 round trip. It actually drops off and picks up in the plaza leading to the World Trade Center just south of the Columbus Monument. From there it is a short walk North to the Drassanes Metro Station. The Metro may have a few pickpockets, but is very clean and safe. You can get single tickets or a shareable T-10 (10 trip) ticket for less than EU10 at easy to use machines. Take the L3 line North to Diagonal station, transfer to L5 line East and get off right at Sagrada. Cost for two, EU12. Purchase Sagrada tickets online ahead of time if you want to go in. From port to Sagrada by bus and Metro will take less than an hour. I saw plenty of cabs around the lower end of Las Rambles, near the Drassanes Metro station and they are fairly cheap, just not necessary. We took L3 further North to Vallcarca station first to visit Park Guell, if you like Gaudi architecture, then you can walk from Diagonal back South down Passieg de Gracia and Las Rambles which have many examples of Gaudi and his contemporaries nearby.

Edited by Boschmann

If you exit the terminal in Barcelona you will usually see the blue "T3 Portbus" waiting for passengers. You can buy tickets on the bus, currently 2 euros one way, 3 euros round-trip on the same day.

I am not aware of a 5 euro shuttle, but if it also only takes you to the bottom of the Ramblas, the T3 bus is better value.

If you are in a rush, a taxi to Sagrada Família would be the fastest option (from the ship to the church is a fine fare for them, don't worry about that).

I'm not sure who operated the bus, but it was blue. Where does this T3 portbus go? They had a stand inside the terminal, but some payed as they got on. The bus loaded right outside the terminal. The cab line was pretty long that morning.

I'm not sure who operated the bus, but it was blue. Where does this T3 portbus go? They had a stand inside the terminal, but some payed as they got on. The bus loaded right outside the terminal.
I think we're talking about the same shuttle, but I hope you didn't pay 5 €. Here is their not-so-useful website. This page has better information. Edited by hawkeyetlse

Thanks Boschmann & Hawkeyetlse for your insight about the Barcelona port bus. I like the idea of taking the metro to go to Sagrada Familia instead of a cab. I have no sense of direction, so I'll have my husband figure it out. He mastered NY City subways, so I think he can handle this. Besides, I'm doing all the other planning so he needs to get involved.

Thanks again!

Mary Jon

Thanks Boschmann & Hawkeyetlse for your insight about the Barcelona port bus. I like the idea of taking the metro to go to Sagrada Familia instead of a cab. I have no sense of direction, so I'll have my husband figure it out. He mastered NY City subways, so I think he can handle this. Besides, I'm doing all the other planning so he needs to get involved.

Thanks again!

Mary Jon

One note about Barcelona (and most other) Metro system. Rather than directions such as North or South they use the end station as direction. So, for the L3 (green line) it uses Zona Universitaria as the Southeastern direction and Trinitat Nova as the Northwestaward direction. So you would get on in Drassanes heading in the Trinitat Nova direction, getting off at Diagonal, walk over (about 100yds) to the Blue L5 line and head in the Val d'Hebron direction to Sagrada Familia stop. There are plenty of maps if needed. If you go with the T-10 pass you can use it for yourself then pass it back to your partner for them to use, perfectly acceptable and counts as two trips.

• 3 weeks later...
1. Current NCL prices (January 2016 on Epic) are normally $15 return for shuttles so I would expect this to be the case in Marseilles.

2. $15 return for NCL shuttle to train station. €5 return for local shuttle to Livorno town centre (not run by NCL but departs from the quay next to the NCL shuttle).

3. Not needed.

May I ask....is the NCL shuttle into Marseille only book able on board or can it be booked head of time?

May I ask....is the NCL shuttle into Marseille only book able on board or can it be booked head of time?

You generally pay for the ship's shuttles on the pier before boarding the shuttle bus. I'd read a thread about being able to buy the Livorno shuttle tickets the night before at the shore excursions desk and sure enough I was able to do that (it wasn't advertised anywhere on board).

I'm pretty sure that you can't book shuttles before boarding. Most lines don't give out much information about shuttles until the night before arrival. This is probably because they think it will affect excursion sales.

Thanks Keith

Marsaille... Is that 12$ return?

Napels..... What's the city like?

I can recommend visiting the Opera House in Naples. Really nice guided tours available. Once you go a few streets back from the port in Naples it's actually a decent place. The port area, I agree isn't nice.

You generally pay for the ship's shuttles on the pier before boarding the shuttle bus. I'd read a thread about being able to buy the Livorno shuttle tickets the night before at the shore excursions desk and sure enough I was able to do that (it wasn't advertised anywhere on board).

I'm pretty sure that you can't book shuttles before boarding. Most lines don't give out much information about shuttles until the night before arrival. This is probably because they think it will affect excursion sales.

Thanks Clive, that makes sense why they wouldn't advertise the shuttles.

Appreciate your feedback.