Your Time Dining Wait

DebbieMo

Have you had to wait to be seated, if so how long? How many in your party if you did have to wait?

We will be on the Glory in June with a group of about 10. Just wondering if we should switch from early dining to anytime since not everyone has booked yet and not sure if early will still be available when they do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Usually it is just DH and me, occasionally another couple will join us. On those nights, except for "cruise elegant" we have only waited a few minutes. As in stand to the side and literally less than 5 minuets later we were seated. The exception is formal night. Even with only 2-4 we have had to wait up to 30 minutes.

The larger the group the longer the wait. On the Triumph last summer there were 9 of us. Our wait time on formal night was over an hour. Other nights we were either accommodated right away or choose to sit a different tables.

Even though I really really like YTD. Next family cruise we will do assigned. If some can't or do want to join us, we will know and proceed without them. At least we won't spend time waiting......

my husband and I did our 9th cruise on the Carnival Splendor in Jan 2016... usually we always do 8:15 late dining... but this cruise we decided to try the anytime dining... that was a huge mistake... every night we had to wait in a big line up (around 15 min) and then once we got to the reception desk we would be given a buzzer and had to wait again (around 20 min) but the worst was on elegant night we waited in line (around 30 min) and our buzzer didn't go off till (around 50 min) later... so for the two of us we will be back to assigned dining and will never ever do anytime dining again.

We've done YTD on three cruises.

On the Spirit, our wait time was about 0-10 minutes. (2 people)

On the Miracle, our wait time was about 5-15 minutes (5 people)

On the Freedom, our wait time was over 60 minutes some evenings. Usually about 20-30 minutes. (2 people)

We were on the Valor in January with YTD. We always got there between 5:30 and 6 and never had more than a 5 minute wait. There was 7 of us in our party and we actually go the same table and waitstaff every night.

We were on the Valor in January with YTD. We always got there between 5:30 and 6 and never had more than a 5 minute wait. There was 7 of us in our party and we actually go the same table and waitstaff every night.

I suspect your wait time was minimized because you went early. By arriving early you were able to be seated at one of the few tables that would accommodate 7. (likely at an 8 top) For anyone arriving later, say at 6:30, those larger tables would be occupied until your meal was complete around 7 or 7:30.

There really isn't a magic formula with YTD. So much depends on if it is a sea day or a port day and what the departure time from port. Additionally, be they ship planned or group planned events also effect the time cruisers plan their meals.

I know on the first night we usually go early but if it is a premier cruise, because of the welcome party, we tend to go much later. On most port days we are very active and pick earlier times except for Cozumel when we are bums and do nothing but eat, drink and swim. Those evenings we eat much later. So even we are not consistent in our times.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to stick with early dining for my family and everyone else can decide what's best for them. The kids will get cranky with that long wait and will probably fall asleep right at the table after a long day.

We have done YTD on every cruise. Normally just the 2 of us, but occasionally we will meet another couple or have friends on the cruise and it will be 4.

On the Paradise, Elation, Legend - no more than 5 minutes, most of the time 0

On the Breeze (post American Table) - 15-20 minutes every night

On the Imagination (also post American Table) - don't remember waiting at all

Not sure why the Breeze had the waits. I put post American Table because I've seen threads on here blaming that for the waits but idk. Maybe it has more to do with size of the ship??

My experience is that the latter you go, the longer you wait. My wife and I generally eat late at home, but we adjust to eating earlier on the ship so we don't have to wait. Plus then I can eat "second dinner" (room service) later!

Longest wait for our party of 6 was 20 minutes, maybe 30 on formal night. No wait on any other nights - that was on Magic last year. We've done anytime dining for several cruises now and love it.

yes, i was going to say there are some sweet spots where there is hardly EVER a wait. that's around the time we go. people are still coming in from excursions and doing other things. by the time we're mid-dinner, the lines are getting longer and longer.

I sailed on Elation in February and can confirm what a lot of people have been saying about Your Time Dining - the later you go, the longer you wait. We were a group of 7 with 2 young toddlers and so it was important that we eat as early as possible with as little a wait as possible. Otherwise the toddlers would get cranky and my sister would have to leave halfway through dinner!

We did Your Time Dining, getting there every night a minute or two before the doors opened at 5:45. We were literally the first in line every single night and got our pick of tables. Arriving at YTD 5:40 pm, we'd all be sitting at our 8 top table with a great ocean view looking at menus by 5:47. And every night as we left the YTD MDR, usually around 730 or 8, there was a long line at the door waiting to get in. From what I overheard, it sounded like people typically had to wait btwn 15 and 40 minutes at that time. Hope this helps!

This was our same experience on Valor in December. We did get a different dining staff (understandably) the two nights we asked to be seated alone, near a window.

Other than that, same dining staff/section, and some nights even same people at the table.

We never waited more than 2 minutes, not even on formal night.

Edited by BTHodgeman

I sailed on Elation in February and can confirm what a lot of people have been saying about Your Time Dining - the later you go, the longer you wait. We were a group of 7 with 2 young toddlers and so it was important that we eat as early as possible with as little a wait as possible. Otherwise the toddlers would get cranky and my sister would have to leave halfway through dinner!

We did Your Time Dining, getting there every night a minute or two before the doors opened at 5:45. We were literally the first in line every single night and got our pick of tables. Arriving at YTD 5:40 pm, we'd all be sitting at our 8 top table with a great ocean view looking at menus by 5:47. And every night as we left the YTD MDR, usually around 730 or 8, there was a long line at the door waiting to get in. From what I overheard, it sounded like people typically had to wait btwn 15 and 40 minutes at that time. Hope this helps!

It's nice to have the flexibility of YTD but if you have to get there early every night in order not to wait it's probably best to stick with a specific time. I still have time to decide 100% but at this point it looks like sticking with early dining is best. Thanks for adding your input :)

Just wondering why other cruise lines make advance (pre-cruise) reservations available for Any Time Dining but Carnival Can or does not. On my most recent cruise on Celebrity I was able to pre book at times I want (6:45, 7:15) and never had a wait when I went to the MDR. If I chose to dine elsewhere I merely cancelled those reservations, unless it was in a specialty restaurant and then my reservation was over-ridden by the system.

Carnival just announced huge profits, perhaps an enhancement to the dining reservation system is in order.

We always do YTD. Never have had much of a problem. But did notice that the larger ships have a longer service time. And we did have to wait on formal night. We would get to the dinning room by 6pm and the wait wasn't bad at all. Always have the same wait staff. Even when our group was 10 people. We like the flexibility if needed due to shore excursions and such.

Have you had to wait to be seated, if so how long? How many in your party if you did have to wait?

We will be on the Glory in June with a group of about 10. Just wondering if we should switch from early dining to anytime since not everyone has booked yet and not sure if early will still be available when they do.

we have had YTD with party of 5 and 2 on some previous cruises...

WE were always handed the pager and disliked waiting.

15-20 wait easy

Now, we only do early dine. Much better. You get the same table everynight- same waiters. Much better experience for us