Juneau Excursion

spcl4cs_gal

It's been twenty years, but I did this excursion through Princess. We were taken to the base of the Mendenhall Glacier, give waterproof pants and jackets to put over our clothes, then we got in the rubber zodiac rafts. There were probably eight or ten people in each raft, plus the guide. We were given a choice to paddle, or not paddle, as the rapids were less then a Class One. The scenery is beautiful, and we saw some eagles.

As I recall, the tour was a little pricey. If you just want to see the glacier, I would recommend taking the bus that leaves from the pier. I think it's about $18 round trip, per person.

Thanks for the info. Princess has it listed for $144 US and I was intrigued by the excursion description. I have been to the glacier before on another cruise so I guess it would be the rafting part that would hold my interest.

this is a tour, I never recommend, money is FAR better spent elsewhere. You are no where near the "base" of the glacier, like claimed above.

You enter from the west side, and get only a brief, distant view of Mendenhall, you turn off to the river and, rest of trip is trees and back years. Mendenhall is behind you. Just not a good tour, in my opinion.

Far superior is to rent a kayak, and you do get way closer to Mendenhall. There are guided trips with Above and Beyond. Another alternative is the ship contracted, canoe excursion that some offer.

There are WAY better rafting trips in Alaska, this is at the bottom.

I just did this tour in August.

While you do not go to the base of Mendenhall, you do get a good look at it in the beginning of the trip. Partybarbie's is right about what they have you wear. They do have large locked boxes to put your shoes and jackets in to if you want. It was a nice warm day when we went and I left my coat behind and wore a sweatshirt and turtleneck. The choice to paddle or not is up to you. I was in a raft where our guide did all the navigation. I really enjoyed the trip and the "rapids". Our guide was informative and quite funny.

So yes, I would recommend it.

• 2 months later...
I just did this tour in August.

While you do not go to the base of Mendenhall' date=' you do get a good look at it in the beginning of the trip. Partybarbie's is right about what they have you wear. They do have large locked boxes to put your shoes and jackets in to if you want. It was a nice warm day when we went and I left my coat behind and wore a sweatshirt and turtleneck. The choice to paddle or not is up to you. I was in a raft where our guide did all the navigation. I really enjoyed the trip and the "rapids". Our guide was informative and quite funny.

So yes, I would recommend it.[/quote']

Did you have any chance to take some pictures? If so, what did you do with your camera?