Getting to Mendenhall and around Juneau

AAAG

I would like someone's opinion about our best transportation options. We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children). We would like to visit Mendenhall Glacier as well as the Salmon Hatchery, preferably on our own and not on a set tour. Possibly go to the salmon bake too.

I know there are shuttles to Mendenhall, and I have read that the Blue Bus is $20 per person. it seems as though the White Bus is now $30 per person starting this year (which makes me think the Blue Bus may raise it's prices too).

Does anyone know if children pay the same rate? Or are they free?

If the fee is indeed per person, then we are looking at $80-$120 just to get to Mendenhall, plus however much a cab would be to get to the Salmon Hatchery. I'm trying to decide if we should just rent a car ($94 from Avis in downtown Juneau) and have more freedom for roughly the same price? Or just take taxis or a combo of taxis and public transportation?

Any thoughts?

Did the Blue Bus last year with friends and it worked well! This year, I'm doing a cruise arranged tour for simplicity cause I'm doing both things that you want to do! It's just my mother and I, so it's different for us. Since you have the whole family, the cost average on the car may be good for you, especially if you want to go on your timeframe. Either way good luck and have fun :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

With you wanting to go to both Mendenhall and the Hatchery- then rent a car, simple solution. ;) there is no easy way to get between the two, without a tour. And a tour, has the disadvantage of being a fixed time at Mendenhall, and many are not there long enough for the very popular- Nugget Falls trail. When are you going?

Avis at the Rivergold, is walkable from the docks.

Edited by Budget Queen

Avis is at the Goldbelt Hotel. The distance depends on where your ship docks. If it is at the furthest dock- there will be taxis available. And I think they have shuttles to the downtown area.

A car will give you the best felxablity and if you have small children- don't miss letting them get off steam at the park at Salmon Creek- very close to the Hatchery-

Avis is at the Goldbelt Hotel. The distance depends on where your ship docks. If it is at the furthest dock- there will be taxis available. And I think they have shuttles to the downtown area.

A car will give you the best felxablity and if you have small children- don't miss letting them get off steam at the park at Salmon Creek- very close to the Hatchery-

Being you are in Juneau- wasn't the Goldbelt sold and is now the Rivergold?

There are shuttle buses from the AJ dock, to the tram parking lot.

So am I right to assume you can get a shuttle from the ship to the Mendenhall Glacier center? And if so, is there a set time you set up to come back, or do they run often? We have an excursion in the morning, and I just want to go to the center after lunch.

It looks like the Blue bus and the White bus are both going to be $30 this year going out to Mendenhall Glacier http://www.mmtoursofjuneau.com/#!land-tours/c20rm White bus web site is here http://www.juneautours.com/shuttle-mendenhall-glacier/ they leave every 30 minutes. If you’re over 62 be sure to bring your National Parks Senior Pass, it’ll get you into the visitor center at no charge.

So am I right to assume you can get a shuttle from the ship to the Mendenhall Glacier center? And if so, is there a set time you set up to come back, or do they run often? We have an excursion in the morning, and I just want to go to the center after lunch.

The shuttle is from the tram parking lot. There is only one ship that has this "dock". The Aj, you take a shuttle to this parking lot, the other 2 you'd walk.

At peak the Mendenhall shuttles, run about every 1/2 hour, there is more than one company. They do stop running around 6pm. IF you want to stay past then , then have cab numbers to call, about 1/2 hour prior to needing it. There is no cab line there.

We are planning a trip to Alaska in June 2017 with 6 Adults. When we travel to the Caribbean and Europe very often there are private guides at the port attempting to take you on their tours.

Does anyone know if there are private guides at Ketchikan, Juneau or Skagway ports trying to sell their tours to you?

Does anyone know if there are private guides at Ketchikan, Juneau or Skagway ports trying to sell their tours to you?

In Ketchikan there is a tour center on the main dock and smaller groups at the others. Skagway they are located at the end of the pier with more outlets along the main street in town. Juneau they are centered around the Mt Roberts Tram and near the Red Dog Saloon.

Once you're off the pier it would be hard to not see a vendor after walking less than 100 feet lol

Enjoy Alaska

In Ketchikan there is a tour center on the main dock and smaller groups at the others. Skagway they are located at the end of the pier with more outlets along the main street in town. Juneau they are centered around the Mt Roberts Tram and near the Red Dog Saloon.

Once you're off the pier it would be hard to not see a vendor after walking less than 100 feet lol

Enjoy Alaska

Thank you so much for your quick response. We have over a year, but starting to due preliminary planning now.

We are planning a trip to Alaska in June 2017 with 6 Adults. When we travel to the Caribbean and Europe very often there are private guides at the port attempting to take you on their tours.

Overall, Alaska is not that type of touring. It isn't a place, you jump in a cab and "see sighting". That is a very limited type of Alaska tour.

Instead, Alaska, is loaded with ACTIVITY tours, numerous, sight seeing tours- can be very vendor dependent as well. I find it is a lacking plan to not have all your plans and reservations in place before you get there- unless your "plan" is those walk up, basic, taxi type. time is short in port, I also think it's a poor choice, running around trying to find something to do. :)

First step, is to take a look at your ship shore excursion list, then determine- where your interests are and greatly narrow down the list. Post, specifics, if you want more/alternative information.

With over a year- believe me, your ideas are change multiple times, allowing this, will bring you to your perfect choice, just don't jump into reservations before this process. You have plenty of time.

If you’re over 62 be sure to bring your National Parks Senior Pass, it’ll get you into the visitor center at no charge.

I'm not sure if my parents have the NP Senior Pass. They have visited NPs before but we were not with them so don't know if they purchased the pass or just paid admission each time. They are out of the country, so I can't ask them right now.

My family will have the America the Beautiful Pass. Will that work for Mendenhall admission? If not, do they sell the NP Senior Pass at Mendenhall?

Thanks.