Switching Itinerary because of Zika?

kimstoess

I have a friend that is pregnant and scheduled to go with us on a Caribbean cruise. NCL is saying that if you are pregnant you can switch to another Itinerary. Would they have you pay the fare difference? The only cruises at that time are almost double the cost.

I,m sure she would have to pay the difference as this is her choice and not due to the cruise line. Frankly, I'd skip the cruise if I were pregnant. Peace of mind is worth more than all the money in the world

I have no idea what I would do if I was pregnant. My mind says I would just use caution and mosquito repellant but likely my gut and heart would say differently. That said, I didn't see one mosquito on our recent cruise.

We did Costa Maya, Ocho Rios and GSC...

I would call but they are probably saying you can switch without penalties but would pay any cost difference.

Newest data in small studies from CDC is that 29% of pregnant women who contract Zika before 24 weeks have significant birth defects. I would emphasize that this involved fewer than 100 pregnant women, but the percentage is staggering.

Newest data in small studies from CDC is that 29% of pregnant women who contract Zika before 24 weeks have significant birth defects. I would emphasize that this involved fewer than 100 pregnant women, but the percentage is staggering.

Sometimes it helps to put things into perspective. Most of this info is from the CDC.org website. These are the number of actively transmitted, mosquito-borne cases ( not acquired during travel to another country ) in the following countries.

US Virgin Islands ( St Thomas, St Croix and St John ): 1

British Virgin Islands ( Virgin Gorda, Tortola and Jost Van Dyke ): 0

Bahamas, including Nassau: 0

The vast majority of mosquito-borne cases are in Puerto Rico, Mexico and Central America, Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

So, given the thousands of people who live in the USVI, BVI and Bahamas, and the 10s of thousands who visit, every single week, there is only one case. Those are pretty good odds.

The statistics on Zika and pregnancy are scary, but first you have to be bitten by a mosquito who carries the virus. She should do her research and then make a decision she is comfortable with.

Sometimes it helps to put things into perspective. Most of this info is from the CDC.org website. These are the number of actively transmitted, mosquito-borne cases ( not acquired during travel to another country ) in the following countries.

US Virgin Islands ( St Thomas, St Croix and St John ): 1

British Virgin Islands ( Virgin Gorda, Tortola and Jost Van Dyke ): 0

Bahamas, including Nassau: 0

The vast majority of mosquito-borne cases are in Puerto Rico, Mexico and Central America, Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

So, given the thousands of people who live in the USVI, BVI and Bahamas, and the 10s of thousands who visit, every single week, there is only one case. Those are pretty good odds.

The statistics on Zika and pregnancy are scary, but first you have to be bitten by a mosquito who carries the virus. She should do her research and then make a decision she is comfortable with.

Thank you for pointing this out. The bulk of all the birth defect cases have been in South America, so the risk is extremely low in the Caribbean. I am just glad that I am well past the age of having to worry about this.

Is a NCL cruise that lasts a week really worth even the smallest chance of a birth defect that lasts a lifetime?

Is getting in a car and driving down the highway worth even the smallest chance that a pregnant woman could be in an accident which might injure or kill her fetus? Pretty high odds probably compared to getting Zika in a large geographic area which so far has only one case.

There is risk everywhere in our lives. We measure the risk and do as we feel comfortable. Since Zika could be in our own backyards this summer, who knows, let's hope they get this one figured out quickly.