MITSUGIRLY'S birthday cruise on the JADE review/pictorial

mitsugirly

Another nurse who doesn't drink coffee and dislikes water and loves her soda.

I was a big Pepsi drinker for 20 years then somehow switched to Coke Zero.

That said I AM trying to cut back!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Woo Hoo another one. :D I was raised on Coke and then Switched to Pepsi after becoming an adult. These days, I'll drink either without a problem. Either diet Pepsi, Pepsi One, diet Coke or Coke Zero. I like them all. (Which is a good thing since that means I can always get my pop on sale). :p

First of all the mermaid outfit is super cool! She is quite the talented little "fish"!

Second of all, I am glad you took a selfie! What a great picture! It is nice to put a face to all of this reading. I know you were in a dinner picture earlier, but I love outdoors pictures so much more! And from one mom to another (I too hate being in pictures), we have to remember that the kids want to see us in pictures...no matter how we feel about our smile, our belly, our hair, our ______...they all see their mom, and they love that! :) It is one of the best gifts we can give them. I force myself to get into pictures for this very reason.

She loves that mermaid outfit. After Christmas, I think she wore it every waking hour during winter break. She's quite good and scooting around on dry land with it too...and even up steps. LOL

Yea, I do make sure I always get in a few. But I'm usually the one with the camera taking all of the pictures so it usually don't work out that way. All of my reviews have me in them (and just not from the professional photographer on board). I just still don't like having it taken though, although I will. I do force myself in them for her sake.

Just wanted to say I LOVE reading your reviews! We went to Coki Beach in St. Thomas on our last cruise thanks to you:D Loved it and didn't want to leave!

Your daughter is adorable:) If you ever get to the Bronx Zoo here in NY, the peacocks walk around "free" and come right up to you. My boys always get a kick out of that.

Hoping to get to try a NCL cruise one day soon after reading all your wonderful reviews. Thanks for all the work you put into these!

Oh and btw, the video from the snorkel mask is really great quality in my opinion. Pretty awesome!

I did not see any concierge office after the guest services desk or that hallway.

Quite honestly, we never waited at any of the venues, whether it be the MDR or specialty. Very seldom have I ever waited on either of those, so really no need to make reservations. So really no need for concierge. We have done the priority tender tickets before and on this one and all we had to do was just walk down to the tender on our own and show the person standing there our key cards showing we are platinum. No need for a concierge for that. We never ever want to be the first group off the ship if we can help it. We usually don't even get up until 8am on the last day and get a leisurely breakfast and take our time getting off. They give us the priority yellow tickets the night before, which allows us to walk off right after they call the self disembark people or we can leave at any time after that. So that's usually what we do. I really have found no need for a concierge. To me, it's just a waste of tip money for something I can totally do on my own. Just my thoughts. :)

Thanks for the explanation on the grapes and wine. That's pretty cool. I think I'll stick to the pink from now on. I hate red.

Thanks for the shuffleboard link. That helps explain it. I thought Judy was going to win it!!! LOL I hadn't pictured the people being on the same side. I thought it was played like most games...one person on one side and the other person on the other. Thanks for clarifying. Got it now. :D

We get interior rooms often, so I think they all come down about the same distance over the bed below. I always have the hubby sleep under it...I tell him it's his "man cave" area. You definitely can't sit up or anything when in bed and it's down. The table was just in an odd place but it is supposed to be there. That's where the tv and a few shelves are and they have outlets there for you to use. I just think the bed should have been moved over a little. It's the first time I have ever noticed the bed being so close that you had to squeeze between the two.

My observations from our two trips on the Jade is the concierge is up in the Star Bar part of Cagney's that is next to the suite guest dining room at breakfast and sometimes at lunch and then after that, she goes to this tiny little closet of an office that is behind the reception area. I don't believe the door is marked and in fact, my impression originally was that it was the door to get behind the guest relations desk, but it's not. There used to be a concierge lounge on deck15 - that was later converted to the Deluxe Owner's Suite - which was already there the first time we sailed on Jade. So this ship doesn't really have a concierge lounge at all, or even a proper office, IMO. The little office (which might have previously been a closet as it is so tiny) I believe is on deck 7. It might not even be labeled. But I went looking for the concierge to tip her after a 13 day Med cruise and the butler told me to go to deck 7 and then the people at the guest services desk pointed out this tiny office. I tipped her $50 and we chatted a few minutes and she gave me info on when and where to meet her for early self-disembarkation for suite guests the next day. She must have really appreciated the tip because the next morning, she actually spontaneously grabbed my large rolling suitcase and pulled it for me all the way off the ship to the taxi stand. It was really kind of her, most unexpected and sincerely appreciated. I'm pretty low maintenance and when someone bends over backwards like that for me, it really makes a good impression.

I checked out some other videos of inside cabins on the Jade and sure enough that table is there in those cabins as well. But it does look out of place in the room. I was thinking, would it have not made more sense to make it a square table with a diagonal split down the middle so you could drop 1/2 of the table surface - thus making it easier to get around the cabin when the table as a whole is not in use and the two beds are together? I just thought this was NOT the right design for this cabin.

We took a picture of us, since it doesn't happen often and I honestly hate having my picture taken.

P2220501%20copy-M.jpg

Love your review and so glad to see pictures of you - you did all this work and its great to see the smile on your face! Thanks again for a wonderful review!

I just want to say Sakari is absolutely adorable in her mermaid tail! Does she have a mermaid name yet? That is a very important part of being a mermaid and will keep her safe from pirates! They will never know that secretly Sakari is a mermaid if she has a secret mermaid name that she is only called when wearing her tail:

This link actually produces the species of mermaid and there are many:

http://mermaid.namegeneratorfun.com

Then this link lists ideas for Mermaid "given" names:

http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/28999

and some other mermaids discussing given names here:

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4239-Favorite-Mermaid-Names

Sakari is developing a great skill set that could make her money in the future. She could work as a mermaid at Weeki Watchee for example or various tourist destinations:

http://priceonomics.com/life-as-a-professional-mermaid/?curator=MediaREDEF

If nothing else, being a mermaid is a great hobby and helps to develop excellent core, leg and arm strength and breathing techniques with conditioning. Many women who do this can hold their breath for several minutes at a time.

Your stories are too much fun, as are your pictures. I love that you're raising an adventurous girl!

However, if it eases her mind, I am friends with a rather large number of pirates (side effect of going to renaissance faires) and she can rest assured that most pirates run the other way when they see mermaids. Because when pirates pick fights with mermaids, the mermaids usually win! The mermaids have the sea on their side, after all.

And if we hear of a cruise passenger trying to smuggle a peacock on board in their carry-on luggage, we will all know who it is!

Just wanted to say I LOVE reading your reviews! We went to Coki Beach in St. Thomas on our last cruise thanks to you:D Loved it and didn't want to leave!

Your daughter is adorable:) If you ever get to the Bronx Zoo here in NY, the peacocks walk around "free" and come right up to you. My boys always get a kick out of that.

Hoping to get to try a NCL cruise one day soon after reading all your wonderful reviews. Thanks for all the work you put into these!

Oh and btw, the video from the snorkel mask is really great quality in my opinion. Pretty awesome!

Aww thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed Coki Beach. That place was just amazing to me with all the coral and fish.

We do have peacocks at our Columbus Zoo too that walk around freely. They wont let you get too near to them though. (At least they wouldn't back when she was young and we'd go all the time in the summer).

I checked out some other videos of inside cabins on the Jade and sure enough that table is there in those cabins as well. But it does look out of place in the room. I was thinking, would it have not made more sense to make it a square table with a diagonal split down the middle so you could drop 1/2 of the table surface - thus making it easier to get around the cabin when the table as a whole is not in use and the two beds are together? I just thought this was NOT the right design for this cabin.

Yea, you can tell it's suppose to be there and wasn't just our room. It is definitely in a weird spot though. You have an excellent idea with the drop down part. That would be cool.

Love your review and so glad to see pictures of you - you did all this work and its great to see the smile on your face! Thanks again for a wonderful review!

Aww thanks. I was definitely smiling all the time...well, unless I was face to face with Rasfah. :D

Great review as always. We're sailing the Breeze in January and are really excited... looking forward to your review of that ship as well :)

Thanks and I can't wait to do the Breeze review. :)

AHH!! You had me all excited for a second there that you were going to review Paradise Beach, but total disappointment. We are headed out on the Dawn on the 20th and thinking of Paradise Beach or Mr. Sanchos and I was so looking forward to seeing you review it since I had read yours of Mr. Sanchos. Ah well, next time!

I just want to say Sakari is absolutely adorable in her mermaid tail! Does she have a mermaid name yet? That is a very important part of being a mermaid and will keep her safe from pirates! They will never know that secretly Sakari is a mermaid if she has a secret mermaid name that she is only called when wearing her tail:

This link actually produces the species of mermaid and there are many:

http://mermaid.namegeneratorfun.com

Then this link lists ideas for Mermaid "given" names:

http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/28999

and some other mermaids discussing given names here:

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4239-Favorite-Mermaid-Names

Sakari is developing a great skill set that could make her money in the future. She could work as a mermaid at Weeki Watchee for example or various tourist destinations:

http://priceonomics.com/life-as-a-professional-mermaid/?curator=MediaREDEF

If nothing else, being a mermaid is a great hobby and helps to develop excellent core, leg and arm strength and breathing techniques with conditioning. Many women who do this can hold their breath for several minutes at a time.

Oh wow, those are some great links. We did ask her what her Mermaid name was and she said she loves her name because there isn't anyone out there with her name so she's keeping it. LOL But good point about the pirates not knowing her real name. I'll have to tell her that.

Her name according the generator on the link: Mottled Common Stinger :eek::cool: Not too fond of that. I have a feeling if I convinced her to go with a name that's not hers, she'd say Shakira (since that's what the kids club called her for the entire cruise once before and it kinda stuck with her. She has actually told people they can call her that if they can't remember her name :p)

Months before Christmas and we had decided to go ahead and get her a mermaid tail, I was doing some research on them. There was someone that had posted a video on the social media site of their child that had a pool in the back yard and had just gotten a mermaid tail. The mother was standing beside her in the pool. The girl must have been at least over 10 I would think...maybe, I can't remember. But that girl went under water and couldn't get back up or stand up. The mother pulled her up. I was so afraid of something like this happening, which is why it took me so long to buy one. At first I told her it was only to be used to play with and in the bath tub...no swimming. The thought just freaked me out. But, she's been practicing swimming like that for 2 summers now.

So anyhow...I was online trying to find additional information that may pertain to children almost drowning using them and so on. I came across some very interesting things and videos (one of them was the mermaid forum that you linked). I had no idea this was such a big thing. There's mermaid swim classes, parties and so on. I didn't really find much about issues with children using them (other than the link on social media that went viral) but did find plenty of videos of children that had pools in the back yard that had these same fins and they did well. So that eased my mind.

When I was young, I went to one of those weeki shows. It was amazing to watch them under water. I would love to take Sakari to that some day. I didn't realize they still did that.

Wow, what a great story! Oh to be a kid again. I agree with Suitetraveler, Sakari needs a mermaid name to protect her from the pirates.

I think we will see more mermaids on ships because of Sakari.

I would not allow her to wear her mermaid tail on the ship. I have a really hard time trusting others in the pools on the ship. There's just too many people in them, too many kids, and I'm afraid someone would hit her or drag her under. I also figured maybe that it wouldn't be allowed and would throw a red flag with the staff. So, I told her only at the beach. :)

Love all your reviews....there is so much detail about anything and everything that it makes a planner like me giddy!!

I will be sailing on the Breakaway in early May for Bermuda and was just re-reading your Bermuda review as I'm pretty sure I'm going to borrow a lot of ideas from your itineraries. Just wondering if you had a soft copy of your review saved down that you'd be willing to send. That thread is now 62 pages long... :)

Your stories are too much fun, as are your pictures. I love that you're raising an adventurous girl!

However, if it eases her mind, I am friends with a rather large number of pirates (side effect of going to renaissance faires) and she can rest assured that most pirates run the other way when they see mermaids. Because when pirates pick fights with mermaids, the mermaids usually win! The mermaids have the sea on their side, after all.

And if we hear of a cruise passenger trying to smuggle a peacock on board in their carry-on luggage, we will all know who it is!

Well that will ease her mind. I will have to tell her that pirates are scared of mermaids for the most part and will run the other way. We'll see what she says about that.

If she could smuggle a peacock, I'm sure she would. :D

Kim,

What hosting site do you use for your pictures on the boards here?

Thanks in advance!

I use Smugmug.

AHH!! You had me all excited for a second there that you were going to review Paradise Beach, but total disappointment. We are headed out on the Dawn on the 20th and thinking of Paradise Beach or Mr. Sanchos and I was so looking forward to seeing you review it since I had read yours of Mr. Sanchos. Ah well, next time!

Aww, I'm sorry. Last minute cruise, last minute decision. You go and let me know and review it for me. :D

Love all your reviews....there is so much detail about anything and everything that it makes a planner like me giddy!!

I will be sailing on the Breakaway in early May for Bermuda and was just re-reading your Bermuda review as I'm pretty sure I'm going to borrow a lot of ideas from your itineraries. Just wondering if you had a soft copy of your review saved down that you'd be willing to send. That thread is now 62 pages long... :)

Lucky you. Bermuda is amazing. I would love to go back. I might see what's available this summer since I haven't picked a summer vacation yet.

No sorry, no copies of it. I haven't done that with any of them. I should though. It was once suggested that I download copies of them, print them out and put them in with my scrapbooks I make for each cruise so that when Sakari gets older, and I'm no longer here, she can look back on them. Some day I plan on doing this. I just don't have the time.

Lucky you. Bermuda is amazing. I would love to go back. I might see what's available this summer since I haven't picked a summer vacation yet.

No sorry, no copies of it. I haven't done that with any of them. I should though. It was once suggested that I download copies of them, print them out and put them in with my scrapbooks I make for each cruise so that when Sakari gets older, and I'm no longer here, she can look back on them. Some day I plan on doing this. I just don't have the time.

You should for sure download them for Future Sakari! That way she re-lives all the good times regardless if you are here or not!!!

I can't wait for the cruise. Though I question my logic in booking it for early May. I'm not sure the water will be warm enough to thoroughly enjoy. I'm going to go through the review and copy and paste your itineraries. :) It will for sure be helpful...

Of all the beaches you went to there, which would be the ones your run back to first?

Hi, Kim, I'm finally all caught up! How nice to see another review from you before your Breeze cruise! You know I am waiting for that one and hoping you enjoy Breeze as much as I did. :D Once again, your pictures are great and I love seeing your "Little Mermaid"; how cute is she?!:)

I hope if you do another behind the scenes tour you get to see more action in the kitchen area. I did one on Pearl and we had someone explaining things to us and cooks were actually preparing things for lunch. I don't remember what now, but it was German day at the buffet and later we saw food we recognized. :cool: We also saw where the liquor is locked up and were able to go in the freezer and the fruit and vegetable storage areas. I was also fascinated by those laundry machines.

Heather

Just wondering if you had a soft copy of your review saved down that you'd be willing to send. That thread is now 62 pages long... :)

You can choose to view the thread under "Thread Tools" near the top of the page to "Show Printable Version". This takes the majority of the formatting and full size photos, which are replaced by website links, out and replaces with an easier format for reading. You could then probably copy and paste into either Excel as text or Word and then get rid of anything you don't want.:)

Edited by cml4958

You can choose to view the thread under "Thread Tools" near the top of the page to "Show Printable Version". This takes the majority of the formatting and full size photos, which are replaced by website links, out and replaces with an easier format for reading. You could then probably copy and paste into either Excel as text or Word and then get rid of anything you don't want.:)

My mind is blown!!!! Woo hoo!! Thanks so much!! :)

Holy cow that is so helpful!! I have copied and pasted parts of reviews to a word document for research purposes and it was so time consuming. Thank you so much, I am making a note of it for the future.