Booked Alaska cruise, now looking at excursions...

GadgetRick

We've booked Orca Enterprises for a whale watch with Captain Larry in Juneau a number of times and greatly enjoyed it - much better viewing that we usually get on the ship. Love Chilkoot Tours in Skagway, it's our favorite port. If you are a water-baby, try snorkeling in Ketchikan. Remember that Princess has some great special speakers like Libby Riddles in Juneau and one of the Crab-boat captains in Ketchikan which are free on-board presentations. The Alaska excursions ARE very expensive (particularly if you are comparing them with the Caribbean) but we've never had one we didn't enjoy.

Edited by LoriPhil

In Juneau, I second heading to the Mendenhall Glacier -- one that includes entrance into the visitor's center. The tour we took from the ship included it and the one that we took from town did not. We didn't even assume that would have been the case. It was still a great tour but glad our first trip up there included it.

There are quite a few tours offered to Mendenhall Glacier from town that are cheaper than the ship's. They are essentially very similar and include round trip bus transportation that is very flexible.

If you have a U.S. National Park Pass, you can get free access to the visitor's center. Otherwise, it is just a few dollars per person.

(P.S. The National Park Pass is just $10 for a lifetime pass for age 62+. You can get it at any National Park - i.e. Denali - or by mail. Also, if you have one, you can get a partial refund from Princess - if booking one of the Denali tours on their land tour. It's good for up to 4 ppl in a party.)

There are quite a few tours offered to Mendenhall Glacier from town that are cheaper than the ship's. They are essentially very similar and include round trip bus transportation that is very flexible.

If you have a U.S. National Park Pass, you can get free access to the visitor's center. Otherwise, it is just a few dollars per person.

(P.S. The National Park Pass is just $10 for a lifetime pass for age 62+. You can get it at any National Park - i.e. Denali - or by mail. Also, if you have one, you can get a partial refund from Princess - if booking one of the Denali tours on their land tour. It's good for up to 4 ppl in a party.)

Wow great advice! We don't have the park pass but plan on getting one soon. How do you get the partial refund from Princess if you have one?

Wow great advice! We don't have the park pass but plan on getting one soon. How do you get the partial refund from Princess if you have one?

We went to the main desk at the Princess Denali Lodge with our National Park Pass and they gave the partial refund to us there. (We had upgraded to the Tundra Wilderness Tour before our cruisetour - which we would highly recommend.)

Cruise Raider, you walk to the Alaska Brewing Company store in town, 5-10 min walk from the ship, and then sign up for their factory shuttle. I thinnnnnk it's around $10 pp each way now. The factory tour doesn't really take you through the factory, but it does give you a lot of interesting brewery info and history. When done, you get to choose around 6 samples. DH and I really enjoyed it, and DH and his dad went back another time, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much...you're the best!! Unfortunately, we will be tendering in as there are 5 other cruise ships in town the same day as we are there. So, trying to find something that is a little off the beaten path....this sounds like just the ticket. My brother and his wife are going to Alaska for their first (and probably only) time so think we will still do the Mendenhall, but hopefully, early so we still have time to hit the brewery. My brother brews his own beer and my DH loves a good IPA so think this is right up their alley.

Need a passport for that? I mean, I keep it with me anyway but didn't know I'd need it for that one.

Skagway is in Alaska, USA. You'll need your passport if you cross into the Yukon Canada. leave your passport in your stateroom safe at all other times. No need to have it with you all the time when you cruise.

I can't provide a review as of yet as we don't go until July but my husband and I are also looking for different and uniquely Alaska things to do. While reading a ton of wonderful information on this board, we learned about the Ketchikan Kayak company tours. So far I have had such wonderful responses from them in answer to some questions and funny too! Based on these emails alone this tour is the only one so far that I have booked and paid for. Check out reviews on trip advisor to get more information.

Cruise Raider, you're most welcome! The brewery is about 10 minutes outside of town, and I definitely think you can accomplish Mendenhall Glacier and the brewery in 1 day. Have fun!

I'll secodn that and add that you can get to the Red Dog Saloon as well. Do everything and enjoy!

Cruise Raider, you're most welcome! The brewery is about 10 minutes outside of town, and I definitely think you can accomplish Mendenhall Glacier and the brewery in 1 day. Have fun!

I do believe we can .... we are there until midnight so maybe even a trip over to the Red Dog. I am not a believer in packing in too much stuff in one day but none of these are over the top so don't think it would be a stretch to figure out a schedule. It is too bad that it will be so crowded that day with so many ships in town at the same time. Usually when we have to tender into port, we stay onboard but this is my brother and SIL's first time up there so don't want them to miss out on anything.

http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/

In Juneau, take a helicopter out to a glacier and explore/walk on it. Hands down the most amazing experience. You simply cannot grasp how huge they actually are unless you see from this perspective. EXPENSIVE, but worth every penny!! Coastal Helicopters is a professional and fantastic outfit, which picks you up at dock and returns you. No stress. Can't say enough good about it. We have done many things on our Alaska cruises but this was the best and most remarkable. I went direct with Coastal and do always avoid booking excurions through the cuise ship. I do believe if you have internet skills you can always save some coin.

Best wishes and enjoy Alaska!! It is beautiful! :)

(Note my Signature Photo below)!

Second or is it third the recommendation for Harv & Marv in Juneau if you want to go whale watching. Like others have said, loads of whales and nice small boats, 6 of us on our boat. Trip included a stop at Mendenhall on the way back to the ship.

Would also recommend Chilkoot Charters in Skagway for the Yukon rail & bus tour. Same itinerary as cruise tour, except there were only 20 of us in a mini van rather than a big tour bus, which meant we could stop places a tour bus couldn't (stopped to take photos of a bear eating dandelions on the side of the road - apparently dandelions ferment and bears get 'drunk' on them). We also had our own car on the train so we were able to move around and pretty much everyone was able to have a window seat. Although I spent most of the trip outside with my camera.

Both tours still allowed us time to do some independent sightseeing in the towns and both companies guarantee to get you back to the ship on time (both have policies in place if they don't - though both say it's never happened).

Enjoy you trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i would also suggest Chilkoot Charters, I enjoyed it so much I'm going again in September

I am also planning on whale watching with Harv and Marv

any suggestions for Ketichan?

i would also suggest Chilkoot Charters, I enjoyed it so much I'm going again in September

I am also planning on whale watching with Harv and Marv

any suggestions for Ketichan?

One of the major items in Ketchikan is the Misti fjords, typically via float plane.

We have also gone to the Totem Parks ($1 each way via the local bus).

On our last trip, we booked a private tour with Ketchikan Taxi cab Tours. They took us wherever we wanted to go including looking for bears. I really enjoyed the personal service and getting out of the city. He also stops at the Totem poles but since we had been prior, he took us sightseeing around the countryside.

If you like to fish do the salmon fishing in Ketchikan we've done it twice and have had a blast ,my wife out fished everyone both times, and you can have your fish shipped home either have it smoked or in filets

What time of year did you do this? We will be there in July and I'd like to do it, but fear we won't catch anything. Thanks!

We were there both times in mid July caught a lot of salmon not big fish but we had 2-3 on at a time most of the time, we caught a few koho and a lot of pinks, the boats usually have up to 6 people on board fishing, like I said they weren't big but they kept you busy all the time

Another thing to do in/at Ketchikan is the Allutian Ballard boat of the Deadliest Catch fame. It's a bit hokey but all in all an interesting half day.

Edited by Treven