Evening Chic

Grajogil

Just back from cruise on Solstice and very pleased to see that there was still a good number of people dressed formally, ie Tuxedos.

Just as a matter of interest, which part of the world was your cruise?

Just as a matter of interest, which part of the world was your cruise?

I would imagine Australia/NZ area as the Solstice is the S-class exclusive down there.

Edited by pugdad1

They can call it formal night, evening chic or anything else...

I will continue to wear my tux until they pry my cummerbund from my cold, dead fingers... :D

Love it ! My thoughts exactly :)

Of course, everyone else can wear whatever they like, I'm no clothes snob..

I feel it is not very often that you get the chance to dress up so why not do so. Pity Celebrity changed the dress code is sounds like an 'anything goes'

Going away in November will be anxious to find out what everyone is doing by then.

I feel it is not very often that you get the chance to dress up so why not do so. Pity Celebrity changed the dress code is sounds like an 'anything goes'

Going away in November will be anxious to find out what everyone is doing by then.

Hear Hear! Dressing up for the evenings has always been something we have looked forward to and like about cruising. Whilst it's not the "be all and end all", it has been a differentiating factor from beach hotel holidays.

I originally asked where the Solstice was as I believe that there are parts of the world where the majority of passengers will dictate how formal or informal people will dress.

For example, if a cruise is predominantly Brits it will inevitably be "dressier" than a cruise where the majority are American..........just a fact, please don't shout at me :eek:

Hear Hear! Dressing up for the evenings has always been something we have looked forward to and like about cruising. Whilst it's not the "be all and end all", it has been a differentiating factor from beach hotel holidays.

I originally asked where the Solstice was as I believe that there are parts of the world where the majority of passengers will dictate how formal or informal people will dress.

For example, if a cruise is predominantly Brits it will inevitably be "dressier" than a cruise where the majority are American..........just a fact, please don't shout at me :eek:

You have a right to your opinion.

As many don't like to hear this, it is true.

Will be traveling on the Silhouette in a few weeks and was glad to see that Celebrity finally did away with 'Formal Night'. I always stick by the rules. As long as a Suit or Jacket was required I always dressed properly. But now I can get by with no tie, no jacket...less to pack for me...YIPPIE...NO MORE JACKETS AND TIES!!!!! Thank you Celebrity, I hope RCCL follows your lead.

Will be traveling on the Silhouette in a few weeks and was glad to see that Celebrity finally did away with 'Formal Night'. I always stick by the rules. As long as a Suit or Jacket was required I always dressed properly. But now I can get by with no tie, no jacket...less to pack for me...YIPPIE...NO MORE JACKETS AND TIES!!!!! Thank you Celebrity, I hope RCCL follows your lead.

As I wear a suit and tie every day, all day, I was pleased to hear about the "evening chic", most especially since we are on a Caribbean itinerary.

I will not pack a suit for this trip. It will be resort wear for me the entire cruise. My wife also plan on leaving the sequined gowns at home for this trip.

For those who do not wear formal attire every day, or who like to dress for dinner, I am pleased that they still have that option.

We are considering a Northwest Passage cruise with Crystal Cruises. We will surely pack our most formal wear for that trip. My wife can also bring her furs, which I am sure she would need for that itinerary.

For us, the destination really determines how we pack. It's not that we do not like to wear formal attire, but we really would like to spend as little time as possible in our cabins. We want to enjoy the ship and the islands.

Don't know if this is a rule but if you want to eat in the Speciality restaurants, wait until a few days into your cruise as when we were on board they eventually were doing 2 for 1, which made a difference as the cover charge is quite expensive.

glad about that, we are going on the 26th April and i asked the question on roll call if any were taking their DJs and only 1 said yes.Did you enjoy your time on the Solstice and do you have any tips ?

Don't know if this is a rule but if you want to eat in the Speciality restaurants, wait until a few days into your cruise as when we were on board they eventually were doing 2 for 1, which made a difference as the cover charge is quite expensive.

Since travelling with a friend who has his own idea of style, I chuckle when I see dress code descriptions. They always talk about

tie/no tie or

jacket/no jacket.

Nothing is ever said about the necessity to wear a shirt or not. My friend likes to wear a suit with a scarf - no shirt. Is that permissible under the new rules? ;) :D

That's great to hear, as I would love to try the specialty restaurants but they are just too expensive on top of the price of the cruise. Is the 2 for 1 widely advertised, or do you have to really look out for it, or go and ask?

That's great to hear, as I would love to try the specialty restaurants but they are just too expensive on top of the price of the cruise. Is the 2 for 1 widely advertised, or do you have to really look out for it, or go and ask?

Staff stood outside the Oceanview Café (which is the buffet) informing people that there was a 2 for 1 offer on speciality restaurants. I suppose this will only happen if they are not getting enough bookings at the beginning of the cruise. But if you get the chance take it as the restaurants are well worth a visit.

Staff stood outside the Oceanview Café (which is the buffet) informing people that there was a 2 for 1 offer on speciality restaurants. I suppose this will only happen if they are not getting enough bookings at the beginning of the cruise. But if you get the chance take it as the restaurants are well worth a visit.

I'll definitely look out for that. I'd love to try any or all of them!

Glad to hear people are still dressing up for Evening Chic. Husband has always brought a tux -- but relieved to know he need only bring a jacket and tie for Evening Chic. After all, many do not own or want to rent a tux.

My problem with this new Evening Chic ---- and, please, I am not a dress snob --- are the following words included in the description of Evening Chic:

"women: a cocktail dress, skirt, trousers, or designer/smart jeans with an elegant top

and

men: trousers or designer/smart jeans

Why oh why do they include "designer/smart jeans" in evening chic and do not include jeans in Smart Casual????

My Calvin Klein jeans look like jeans -- Levi could be considered smart to many. WHY allow jeans at all on evening chic???? Surely folks can put on a pair of khakis or dockers or trousers....and not jeans??? Shouldn't Evening Chic be Smart Casual or above???

I fear this "opens the gate" and we will see many folks in jeans. I understand some people don't want "stuffy" formal nights....but hey....trousers??

So -- we will enjoy our evening chic night, dress up and save jeans for our excursions since they are not even included in Smart Casual! And hope that many many other folks dress up a bit for dinner. The main dining room is beautiful -- wait staff are handsomely attired. No jeans please!

Glad to hear people are still dressing up for Evening Chic. Husband has always brought a tux -- but relieved to know he need only bring a jacket and tie for Evening Chic. After all, many do not own or want to rent a tux.

My problem with this new Evening Chic ---- and, please, I am not a dress snob --- are the following words included in the description of Evening Chic:

"women: a cocktail dress, skirt, trousers, or designer/smart jeans with an elegant top

and

men: trousers or designer/smart jeans

Why oh why do they include "designer/smart jeans" in evening chic and do not include jeans in Smart Casual????

My Calvin Klein jeans look like jeans -- Levi could be considered smart to many. WHY allow jeans at all on evening chic???? Surely folks can put on a pair of khakis or dockers or trousers....and not jeans??? Shouldn't Evening Chic be Smart Casual or above???

I fear this "opens the gate" and we will see many folks in jeans. I understand some people don't want "stuffy" formal nights....but hey....trousers??

So -- we will enjoy our evening chic night, dress up and save jeans for our excursions since they are not even included in Smart Casual! And hope that many many other folks dress up a bit for dinner. The main dining room is beautiful -- wait staff are handsomely attired. No jeans please!

I think that this subject has been beaten to death over the last number of months. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I for one have never taken and will never take a pair of jeans on a cruise, but there are many with a contrary opinion, including the powers that be at Celebrity.

FYI, jeans ARE included in the Smart Casual dress list, but they don't have to be designer jeans:

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves