Gelato

Dorset Cruiser

Is gelato available on all Princess ships now? Have been told that it is now on Ruby, Caribbean and Emerald. Thought it was just on the Royal and Regal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was able to gelato on the Ruby Princess November 2015. You get three scoops for $1.50 and you can mix-and-match the flavors. I really enjoyed it.You get this at the international café

Julie

I was able to gelato on the Ruby Princess November 2015. You get three scoops for $1.50 and you can mix-and-match the flavors. I really enjoyed it.You get this at the international café

Julie

I saw the same thing on the Emerald. They wouldn't take coffee card punches like the Royal did but that was a different set up. On the Emerald gelato was on the side of the sandwich/salad case by the coffee bar and easy to miss. On the Royal, it was a separate area across from the coffee bar.

I saw the same thing on the Emerald. They wouldn't take coffee card punches like the Royal did but that was a different set up. On the Emerald gelato was on the side of the sandwich/salad case by the coffee bar and easy to miss. On the Royal, it was a separate area across from the coffee bar.

Just off the Emerald and they do indeed have the gelato and did take the coffee card when we purchased it:confused:

Gelato is available on the Ruby/Crown/Emerald/Royal/Regal/.

This is because the IC/(Gelato Ice Cream Venue on Royal/Regal) was built when the ship was built.

It is not available on the Caribbean/Golden/Star/Grand/Sapphire/Diamond/Coral/Island.

The reason being when the IC was added to the ships after the fact there was no additional room for the Gelato machine.

Its only the Regal/Royal that take punches (coffee card for gelato).

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Just off the Emerald and they do indeed have the gelato and did take the coffee card when we purchased it:confused:

Good to know. On my Transatlantic cruise on Emerald in October they said they could not use coffee card punch(Es) for gelato. Had to be charged to your onboard folio.

Hopefully this will become consistent across the ships that have gelato. I know, I know, lol!

Edited by bigenna

And if you have the all inclusive beverage package, is gelato included since a coffee card punch can be used?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No its not.

However I think there was mention that it was on the Royal/Regal only?

The Emerald took coffee card punches for gelato on our cruise 2/27-3/5/17 cruise;)

Julie

On the Emerald the coffee card could be used but the price was 1 punch for 1 "small" scoop. On the other ships (Ruby and Royal) as I can remember it was 1 punch for 3 scoops. It seems that the Emerald is setting their prices apart from the other ships.

btw- I didn't think it was all that good compared to any gelato I've had on land.

You can also get gelato in the DR on some evenings at no extra cost.

On the ships with gelato in the International Cafe (which are Crown, Emerald and Ruby; no gelato on Caribbean) the cash price of a scoop or even three is less than the discounted value of one punch on the Coffee Card. If it were me I would save any extra punches for my next cruise rather than give Princess back the difference in value. Though I guess some would prefer to use all their punches up if they don't expect to sail Princess again soon--or know they would never remember where they put the old card when packing for their next cruise.

And a few years ago on Grand Princess (which has no gelato stand) there was gelato on the MDR menu for dessert one night. But what the waiter brought me was the consistency of the soft serve on deck--with even less flavor; I think it was supposed to be Vanilla/Mascarpone? If Princess tried to charge for something that quality the Gelato stands wouldn't last a week.

Edited by fishywood

On the Emerald the coffee card could be used but the price was 1 punch for 1 "small" scoop. On the other ships (Ruby and Royal) as I can remember it was 1 punch for 3 scoops. It seems that the Emerald is setting their prices apart from the other ships.

That was not our experience when we were on the Emerald the end of February, we got 3 scoops for 1 punch on the coffee card;).

That was not our experience when we were on the Emerald the end of February, we got 3 scoops for 1 punch on the coffee card;).

There must have been one confused person serving the gelato. We were on the same trip & when I heard the price as 1 punch for one one scoop I explicitly asked him why. I told him that the other ships had it as 3 scoops for 1 punch & he was adamant about the 1 scoop. Evidently his boss must have straightened him out.

There must have been one confused person serving the gelato. We were on the same trip & when I heard the price as 1 punch for one one scoop I explicitly asked him why. I told him that the other ships had it as 3 scoops for 1 punch & he was adamant about the 1 scoop. Evidently his boss must have straightened him out.

Are you sure he didn't "know" you?

Word of warning if you are on the CB..... They have absolutely the cutest young gal (she looks about 15) working the pools and Horizon court early afternoons wearing a paper "gelato hat" and pushing a cart with a fresh can of Coffee gelato. She impossible to say no to. It also takes TWO punches one for the gelato and one for the bottled espresso that goes on top. She must work on commission because she found me very single day no matter where my wife had me hidden...................

We had the gelato on Royal Princess during our Grand Med cruise.

It did not compare to the gelato we were enjoying in Italy. It almost seemed too rich.

Any cruise since, we never bother to have any on board.

It was tasty, but it just wasn't what we expected.

Bernadette

We had the gelato on Royal Princess during our Grand Med cruise.

It did not compare to the gelato we were enjoying in Italy. It almost seemed too rich.

Any cruise since, we never bother to have any on board.

It was tasty, but it just wasn't what we expected.

Bernadette

Princess would have you believe that their gelato is comparable to that of the gelato served in Italy, but it's not even close. What they serve at the gelato bar is equivalent to just the regular ice cream in the dining room. Not that it isn't tasty but it's not like the real gelato anywhere we've had it.

It's no wonder they throw away most of the left over gelato in the case each night.