What's better? A family suite (sj) or a penthouse (sg)?

Hi! We are considering moving to an sg suite on the star instead of the sj we have booked since our teenage son cannot come along. Does anyone know if the pullout couch in the penthouse would work for our two daughters? They are thirteen and ten, and on the small side for their age. I'm sure they'd prefer the Murphy bed and couch, but we are having a hard time with the lack of balcony for the family suite. It appears the location and size are very similar except you get a balcony instead of the Murphy bed. Thank in advance for your guidance!

We (two couples) have stayed in both SJ and SG family suites on the Star. We really enjoyed both staterooms. We vacation and cruise with our best friends fairly often and trade off who gets the good bed. We got the couch as bed in the SG suite and although we are plus size range had no problem sleeping in it. The balcony is not big enough for four to sit comfortably. Our SG did not have the small dining table and four chairs that we had in the SJ. We missed it because we like to play games but the room is smaller so I'm not sure how well it would fit.

We didn't find the lack of balcony a problem with the SJ. It is a short walk to the pool as you are on the proper deck. We love the full wall of windows. If we were going to pick an ideal SJ for four (no murphy bed in these two) we would choose either 12530 or 12030. The bend in the window wall gives you a wider range of view. They do include the table and chairs.

There are some videos on youtube of both types of family suites.

We have been in SJ's 3 times and have a 4th booked. We don't miss the balcony because of the excellent location near the pool deck. We have looked at upgrading to the SG, but like the previous poster we did not want to lose the dining table. The sofa bed in the SG looks to be the same size as in the SJ. It is big. Stay away from the aft penthouses, where the sofa bed is a single.

There are only 4 SG's on the Star. If one isn't available, check out the 2 bedroom family suites with balcony on deck 11. Each girl would have her own bed and they would have their own bathroom.

Edited by herdingdogmom

My daughter and I have stayed in the SG on the Star and am booked

again in this same suite for our 4/10 cruise. This time my second daughter

will be joining us and using the sleep sofa. We did not use the sleep sofa

on the past cruise, so not sure if it would fit two young girls.

The balcony had 3 chairs and a table.

As stated it doesn't have a table and chairs in the suite. I did miss that, but

the balcony made up for that.

I loved the SG and that's why I booked it again.

Elaine

Thank you all for the input! It sounds like it would certainly be quite doable for the girls to share the pullout. I'll have to think about whether the table is something we would miss. We do have a couple of early morning exits planned so it might be nice to have the table for breakfast. I'm sure we will enjoy whichever room we pick. I like the 2 bedroom, but it's thousands more than the family suite, the sg is very close to the same price. I love that Norwegian has so many options for suites. Appreciate your thoughts!

Have done SJ 4 times and booked again. Love it

. Didn't miss the balcony a bit. Pull out sofa worked well for two grandkids (one on large size) in fact they kept the bed down rather than make into sofa again so they could lay around and look out the huge wall of glass.

Table was a must for us since we had many meals in our room.

we (two couples) have stayed in both sj and sg family suites on the star. We really enjoyed both staterooms. We vacation and cruise with our best friends fairly often and trade off who gets the good bed. We got the couch as bed in the sg suite and although we are plus size range had no problem sleeping in it. The balcony is not big enough for four to sit comfortably. Our sg did not have the small dining table and four chairs that we had in the sj. We missed it because we like to play games but the room is smaller so i'm not sure how well it would fit.

We didn't find the lack of balcony a problem with the sj. It is a short walk to the pool as you are on the proper deck. We love the full wall of windows. If we were going to pick an ideal sj for four (no murphy bed in these two) we would choose either 12530 or 12030. The bend in the window wall gives you a wider range of view. They do include the table and chairs.

There are some videos on youtube of both types of family suites.

I agree with you 100%. If you can't get the above SJ rooms try for the handicapped SJ 12532. It feels bigger. Has a hugh shower but no tub. Cabins are right across from the library. We have had all of them and been happy on the star 4 times with 2 adults and 2 boys in the room. :)