Overnight hotel @ Southampton ?

This English chain is the equivalent of a Travelodge. The hotel in Southampton is relatively new and has everything you would need, including a full English breakfast if you like. It's very convenient to the big shopping mall across the street, and it's a very short cab ride to the terminal. The price is very affordable, and I thought this was the perfect hotel for a pre-cruise stay. Good luck with your choice.

It's the Premier Inn West Quay that you want - more conveniently placed. BUT check out this hotel called Pig in the Wall as its getting rave reviews and is part of a new select group in the area. Very conveniently placed too and very good food.

There is also a Holuday Inn on the front which is popular with cruisers.

Here's a list of city centre hotels and a useful thumbnail location map.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

(more info about Southampton, and excellent logistical info about London, on other pages of that website)

On that map, 1, 2 & 3 are across the road from the rail station, they plus 4, 5 & 7 are walkable to the coach station.

5,6, 7 and Pig in the Wall, and even 1,2 & 3, are easily walkable to City cruise terminal - berth 101 on the port's cruise ship schedule

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

All on that map are in or easily walkable to the heart of the city, none are more than a £10 taxi ride to any cruise terminal.

Holiday Inn (7) is at the port gate for City cruise terminal - rooms at the front look down Southampton Water, those at the back look over the terminal & ship. Makes it popular with cruisers, though the building is dated and jaded.

Ibis Budget (3) is usually the cheapest (basic but acceptable), Grand Harbour (7) is probably the most expensive. Premier Inn West Quay (4) is mid-range and probably the best compromise between location, quality & price.

Most Southampton hotels are modern, perhaps a little bland & featureless. For something rather more quirky & historic.............

the Mercure Dolphin (8) is a Southampton icon, a coaching inn in the old main street in old town. Attractive & convenient for the city's few sights and its shops, pubs & restaurants, but with the drawbacks of its age - sloping floors, variable room sizes, rabbit-warren corridors, etc.

Ennio's (6) is a boutique. Housed in an old warehouse on the waterfront, it's more an Italian restaurant with rooms.

Pig in the Wall is a boutique built into the city's old wall. Not shown on the map but it's behind Grand Harbour (7). Another boutique, it's a little expensive but gets excellent reviews. Annoyingly the location on TripAdvisor's map is totally wrong, and has been ever since the hotel opened 2 - 3 years ago. So ignore T/A's map.

White Star Rooms (not shown on that map) is another boutique, this one in Oxford Street.

JB :)

There are a number of extremely well-reviewed guest houses and B&Bs north of the rail station, but they're a little inconvenient & in residential districts.

The city's two Hiltons and two Hol Inn Expresses, and a number of "country house hotels" are all on the edge of town, inconvenient for a one-night stay, especially for those without a car.

Edited by John Bull

You don't say when you are sailing but if it's this summer I suggest you book asap. I booked for 16th July last November as rooms were booking very quickly & prices expensive. We're in the holiday inn which is right next to the port. The price was double what I would usually pay at Holiday inn.

You don't say when you are sailing but if it's this summer I suggest you book asap. I booked for 16th July last November as rooms were booking very quickly & prices expensive. We're in the holiday inn which is right next to the port. The price was double what I would usually pay at Holiday inn.

Actually, I'm looking for the same dates. We're sailing out on the Eclipse on July 17th. I was just sitting down on my computer to look for rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I'm looking for the same dates. We're sailing out on the Eclipse on July 17th. I was just sitting down on my computer to look for rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just had a quick look on Trivago and prices haven't increased much but QM2 & Oriana are both in port on 17th & 3 others arrive on 16th so definitely worth booking soon

Holiday Inn (7) is at the port gate for City cruise terminal - rooms at the front look down Southampton Water, those at the back look over the terminal & ship. Makes it popular with cruisers, though the building is dated and jaded.

They were in the midst of big renovations of the public rooms when I stayed there in February. Supposed to be completed some time this month.

We had a terrible experience with the HI a couple of years ago, and last fall cab drivers told us it hasn't changed much.

We love the Grand Harbour hotel. We've stayed there three years in a row, and we've had great accommodations with a friendly staff and a great great breakfast. The hotel faces the harbor so you can see ships coming and going, and lots of good pubs and restaurants are within walking distance. It's right on the edge of the old town which we enjoyed. There's a shuttle to the docks, too.

ALSO--you will find more information on the British Isles board.

Edited by FritzG

We had a terrible experience with the HI a couple of years ago, and last fall cab drivers told us it hasn't changed much.

We love the Grand Harbour hotel. We've stayed there three years in a row, and we've had great accommodations with a friendly staff and a great great breakfast.

I'm glad to hear that. We always stay at the Holiday Inn and, unlike you, have always been satisfied. But DH has always liked the look of the Grand Harbour so I've booked it for our forthcoming cruise. Since then, I've seen a number of poor reviews, particularly about the rooms, so it's good to see a positive recommendation.

They were in the midst of big renovations of the public rooms when I stayed there in February. Supposed to be completed some time this month.

Hi aquiligia,

Just checked reviews of Hol Inn on TripAdvisor. Yes, virtually all complained about disruption due to renovation works, so now is not a good time to stay there.:(

But a re-vamp is l o n g overdue, so it's got to be good for the long-term. And folk on CC are unlikely to be there until April or May, when it'll all be ship-shape & Bristol-fashion. :)

JB :)

I've stayed at the Ibis a couple of times and thought it was fine, but fairly basic. Main thing is the location very close to the bus terminal and train station. I used the train to head over to Portsmouth and Winchester to wander around for a few days before my cruise. There are several restaurants and a big shopping mall nearby. Its been a few years but it is the first place I would look at on my next visit.

It's been a few years since I stayed at this bed and breakfast but it was a delightful experience. It still seems to get good reviews. If you're looking for something a little smaller and more personal than a chain hotel, I think you might check this one.