Empress confirmed to Cuba from January 2017

I am Cuban-American, and I am anxious for the day when major cruises will be able to depart from Miami and dock in Havana.

I hate having to get political on these forums, and not wish to argue with anyone regarding politics, but I must express my opinion and knowledge as a cruise-lover and Cuban-American.

To do this firstly the embargo must be lifted, and Cuba must be willing to open it's doors to ALL American citizens, and not exclude Cuban-American citizens like they will supposedly be doing with the fathom.

I have studied the embargo deeply and know of the deep damage it has done to the people of Cuba, but you cannot ignore the fact that the US is Cuba's largest food and medicine supplier since 2007, and fifth largest trading partner.

The Cuban government is welcome to trade with the US and is allowed to purchase good for it's citizens, however they must pay for everything with CASH.

The Cuban Government has claimed that the US has hurt cubans with the embargo (which is partially true), but the only reason the Cuban govt wants the embargo lifted is not for the welfare of they're citizens but so they can purchase even more goods from the US and default on the debt after.

It's politics.

Anyways, can't wait for RCCL to actually sail to Cuba soon, it will be very emotional for my family and I, but a great step forward.

I am Cuban-American, and I am anxious for the day when major cruises will be able to depart from Miami and dock in Havana.

I hate having to get political on these forums, and not wish to argue with anyone regarding politics, but I must express my opinion and knowledge as a cruise-lover and Cuban-American.

To do this firstly the embargo must be lifted, and Cuba must be willing to open it's doors to ALL American citizens, and not exclude Cuban-American citizens like they will supposedly be doing with the fathom.

I have studied the embargo deeply and know of the deep damage it has done to the people of Cuba, but you cannot ignore the fact that the US is Cuba's largest food and medicine supplier since 2007, and fifth largest trading partner.

The Cuban government is welcome to trade with the US and is allowed to purchase good for it's citizens, however they must pay for everything with CASH.

The Cuban Government has claimed that the US has hurt cubans with the embargo (which is partially true), but the only reason the Cuban govt wants the embargo lifted is not for the welfare of they're citizens but so they can purchase even more goods from the US and default on the debt after.

It's politics.

Anyways, can't wait for RCCL to actually sail to Cuba soon, it will be very emotional for my family and I, but a great step forward.

You bring to the discussion valid points. American businesses want the embargo lifted so more goods can be sold to Cuba. However, defaulting on the debt afterwards, is not going to be a positive move forward. A company gets defaulted on, and they won't return to do more business with them. Opening up other options for the payment of goods with Cuba is necessary.

Finding ways to funnel more of the revenue earned by more travel/tourism to Cuba into the hands of the people would be good. But as long as the government controls that dispersement (like it is done in other countries in S. America) on personal income, it will be a POLITICAL process, like it or not.

It needs to be a small step, but a step indeed. The last 50 years haven't provided a path to a change in Cuban government, lets see what the future might hold.

Sorry but your information is a bit off. Everything in Cuba is at least partially owned by the Cuban government - that's the problem. They can't afford the parts because they don't have the money, not because home depot won't send them a faucet. Most have to rely on black market earnings to get by after they are done essentially putting in a hard days work for their government.

Not taking anything away from the beauty of the country, I'm sure it's amazing.

You are absolutely correct. There is essentially no private property in Cuba. The government and military own everything. However, Fidel Castro's net worth was 900 million dollars the last time I read about it in Forbes.

I find it interesting that the last line of the article states: "Carnival said it has asked the communist country to change its policy."

Like in all GOOD business negotiations, you need some leverage.....the time to have asked (even insisted to have the cruise line consider sailing to Cuba) the Cuban government to change the policy was BEFORE the Carnival Cruise Line committed to sail to Cuba. Cuba knows that there will be plenty of people who will pay the fare (in my personal view the fares I have seen for FATHOM are exorbitant). They could care less what passengers fill the ship as long as Cuba gets the money they will earn from CCL, and as long as Cuba has a reason to deny Cuban born American citizens from travelling by ship, they will. It probably will take lifting the Embargo to do it, and OUR Congress is not very likely in the near future to do that. They won't do anything that President Obama wants done.

You are absolutely correct. There is essentially no private property in Cuba. The government and military own everything. However, Fidel Castro's net worth was 900 million dollars the last time I read about it in Forbes.

Things are changing!! http://www.wola.org/commentary/now_cubans_can_own_and_sell_their_own_homes

Sort of, but not really. First, they can only own 2 homes and 2nd, they have to prove substantial legitimate income in order to purchase the homes. And like we've already explained - majority of their income comes from black market revenue - they make about $20/month legitimately. Go try to explain how you could afford a home off a $20/month income. And they still have no running water. Or, they have a relative who can send them money from the U.S.

Look if you want to go, go but some of us won't put money into a dictator run country.

If this is the test of whether to visit a country or not, some destinations would be off the list that people already go to.

It's not a test, it's personal choice. But saying that Cuba is an opportunistic nation is simply false. Not trying to make the conversation anything it isn't... I'm sure it's a beautiful country that can be enjoyed.

It's not a test, it's personal choice. But saying that Cuba is an opportunistic nation is simply false. Not trying to make the conversation anything it isn't... I'm sure it's a beautiful country that can be enjoyed.

You can make your personal choice based on any quality, just make it across the board, or find a different reason to justify not wanting to cruise to a port in Cuba....or give no specific reason, which is fine also.

But when you give a reason and the litmus test you use may not hold water in other situations, don't be surprised if people point that out.

But when you give a reason and the litmus test you use may not hold water in other situations, don't be surprised if people point that out.

The problem with that argument is that there really are no other countries that are just like Cuba. Similar? Yes, but not the same. There are very real concerns about Cuba-USA relations that are not at all exactly like relations between any other two nations. There are many who have attempted to draw parallels, but fail because the situation is entirely different.

You can make your personal choice based on any quality, just make it across the board, or find a different reason to justify not wanting to cruise to a port in Cuba....or give no specific reason, which is fine also.

Go or don't go - doesn't matter to me. If you don't see the difference between Cuba and other countries/islands, then fine. I'm not here to write a dissertation and quantify everything I say. Take it, or leave it.

Have a good day.

Politics aside, I just want to be on Empress on 4/12/17, which is the anniversary of the day I met my husband on the Empress and the day we got married a year later. Period. Hoping the political situation improves by then.

It won't improve in a year. But that in no way, shape, or form should or will have any impact on your special vacation. Enjoy!!

• 1 month later...
I know my point will be ridiculed, mocked and flamed but I am concerned that my $$$ will go to prop up a regime that suppresses the freedoms of speech and the press, jails people for speaking out against the government and shelters a cop killer not to mention fostering an economic system that has led to poverty for its people.

Nope. I support your feelings 100%. That, and the fact that the same regime pointed nuclear missiles toward us....however, I hold no ill will against the impoverished and silenced people of Cuba.....the CASTRO regime must go...until then, I do not support visits to Cuba. I would support cruises and visits there the day the Castros leave power, and ONLY if policy changes occur and the people are free.

Interesting take... uh, I mean, more commie claptrap!

What 59% of Americans Get Wrong About Cuba

My aversion to going to Cuba the way the FATHOM cruises are going is much simpler.....I don't want to be 'submerged' in a weeklong cruise to the country of Cuba. I want a one day port stop, maybe two days on a 7/8 day itinerary. I want beach access to their gorgeous beaches for my enjoyment.....I don't want a 'people to people -- cultural exchange visit for my vacation'.

I have gone to other countries on land excursions and dealt with the bathrooms with limited to none toilet paper and poor facilities....I am not living there, just passing through. I can make sure I have what I need and manage.

I am not afraid of communism, there leaflets or propaganda talk from their guides will not impact my personal beliefs.

Port schedules now confirm that the Empress of the Seas will offer sailings to Havana, Cuba from the 7th of January of 2017.

RCI have booked Empress at Key West all the way through April of 2019 at this time indicating a long term deployment.

The ship will sail every other Saturday from Miami, with a Sunday stop at Key West and continue on to Havana from Key West.

The ship also sails with some frequency on Mondays from Miami, with Tuesday calls at Key West and then on to Havana from there.

It is unclear if there is a third alternating itinerary that does not call on Key West.

Empress should continue with shorter sailings from Miami up until that week in January 2017. The ship calls every 14 days on Grand Cayman through the end of November 2016.

This is incredible!