Carnival Pride or RC Freedom OTS?

my1stcruise

I've been going back and forth for months. I know they are so very different. It will be me, my husband, and my kids who are 11,9, and 5. Anyone been on both ships that might want to weigh in on the pros/cons?

I've been on the Carnival Spirit, which is identical to the Pride and I've been on Freedom OTS a few times. I think both ships are great, albeit for different reasons.

The Spirit Class Carnival ships IMO are a great size and layout. Not too big, not too little and seem to flow very well as they don't have the split dining room layout like the other ships in the fleet. They've got a nice two story nightclub, and I also like their pool deck layout.

Freedom is obviously much bigger, and as such has more amenities and activities (that could be a big factor if you think that your kids would enjoy them). She has the Flowrider surf machine, rock wall and ice skating. People either love or hate the Royal Promenade setup that Royal uses. If you're unfamiliar, the main thoroughfare of shops, eateries and bars runs down the middle of the ship with rooms on each side that look down onto it (resembling a city street, or less kindly, a shopping mall). But love or hate it, it's an impressive design.

I've been going back and forth for months. I know they are so very different. It will be me, my husband, and my kids who are 11,9, and 5. Anyone been on both ships that might want to weigh in on the pros/cons?

We have sailed both, Pride 3 times. We like both but they are very different. Freedom will offer much more and more choices. However, there is a lot to be said for the short drive to Baltimore to sail Pride.

My1stcruise, Out of curiosity, do you mind my asking why FotS, and not GotS? Grandeur, like Pride, sails out of Baltimore, and is a much more similar ship design to Pride than is FotS.

I've sailed Carnival Pride 6 times, with my 7th booked, and Grandeur once so far, but will be booking another cruise on her within this next year. But I have never sailed FotS So far, I prefer RCI, but still enjoy my Carnival cruises.

For me, the first thing I consider when cruising is Embarkation Port - I LOVE cruising out of Baltimore. I love being able to drive to the port from my house in 2 hours. I've gotten kinda spoiled actually, and really don't want to fly to a cruise anymore. So my advice would be skewed that way.:o

For young children, I think that the Freedom of the Seas is a great choice. It's a much larger ship with many more amenities for young children, including the dedicated water park as well as the Dreamworks experience with characters from movies like Shrel, Kung Fu Panda, and Madagascar. The kids program, Adventure Ocean, is phenomenal, and they even have a dedicated in stateroom tv channel with 24 hour programming.

As others mentioned before, I'm curious why you're looking at the Pride vs the Freedom since the Grandeur OTS out of Baltimore is a more direct competitor to the Pride and the Magic out of Port Canaveral is a more direct competitor to the Freedom OTS.

Edited by Tapi

We have cruised on both. Since we don't have children, it is hard to say which ship is better for children. Both have activities that children of all ages can participate in. Our granddaughter has been on both also. The last time she was on the FOS, she was about 14 or 15. She went to the kids club for her age and had a blast.

She has been on the Pride, but she is older so not involved in the kids club anymore. I know the kids seem to like the new renovations that have been done to the Pride.

We cruise on the Pride every year, mainly because we our so close. Of course we cruise on the GOS also for the same reason.

Cost wise, the Pride would be cheaper and closer than going on the FOS out of Fla. Either ship would be great. Sorry I was not able to give clearer response to your question.

My1stcruise, Out of curiosity, do you mind my asking why FotS, and not GotS? Grandeur, like Pride, sails out of Baltimore, and is a much more similar ship design to Pride than is FotS.:o

I'll try not to write a book here, but yes I should have included the backstory in such a strange comparison. I had originally wanted a big ship with all the bells and whistles, so I booked the Carnival Magic. However, the airfare for the week I had chosen was just outrageous. So, after much consideration, I changed my reservation to the Pride for the same week at the same cost. We can drive to Baltimore in just over an hour.

Then when RC started a new promotion, I started looking again at options. The Grandeur OTS was out of our price range. (We are limited to summer months to travel.) But I was shocked to find out that I could reserve FOS for a little less than my Pride reservation. The connecting balcony cabins I wanted were almost sold out, so I put down a deposit. After looking into airfare - The FOS is about 2 weeks later than the Pride - I found that airfare is not too bad! Of course, it's more than free, which essentially driving to Baltimore will be. But I never thought I'd be able to cruise on the FOS for the same price as the Pride (just because I thought RCI was more expensive usually).

So there we have it. Deposits on both and I need to cancel one soon. My instinct is the go with the FOS for all the fun stuff for the kids. But, then again my 5 year old will not be tall enough for rock climbing or the flow rider and probably won't enjoy ice skating. The Pride's water slides might beat all from his perspective. Thanks for all the advice so far!

I'll try not to write a book here, but yes I should have included the backstory in such a strange comparison. I had originally wanted a big ship with all the bells and whistles, so I booked the Carnival Magic. However, the airfare for the week I had chosen was just outrageous. So, after much consideration, I changed my reservation to the Pride for the same week at the same cost. We can drive to Baltimore in just over an hour.

Then when RC started a new promotion, I started looking again at options. The Grandeur OTS was out of our price range. (We are limited to summer months to travel.) But I was shocked to find out that I could reserve FOS for a little less than my Pride reservation. The connecting balcony cabins I wanted were almost sold out, so I put down a deposit. After looking into airfare - The FOS is about 2 weeks later than the Pride - I found that airfare is not too bad! Of course, it's more than free, which essentially driving to Baltimore will be. But I never thought I'd be able to cruise on the FOS for the same price as the Pride (just because I thought RCI was more expensive usually).

So there we have it. Deposits on both and I need to cancel one soon. My instinct is the go with the FOS for all the fun stuff for the kids. But, then again my 5 year old will not be tall enough for rock climbing or the flow rider and probably won't enjoy ice skating. The Pride's water slides might beat all from his perspective. Thanks for all the advice so far!

Thanks for the backstory - it all makes sense now. In your case, I think I'd go with FotS, then. It sounds like a great opportunity for a good fit for your family.:) Try the Pride next time.;)

My vote is for the Freedom OTS, she is my favorite ship. Your youngest will not be able to do as much, but they do have the Dreamworks characters and the parades. Fun for all ages, no I will not admit to stalking Puss all over the ship.