Falmouth Heritage Walking Tour

rkkunk

For those of you that may have done this tour, how did you like it? Did you feel it was worth the money paid? Did you feel safe?

ETA: Did you book on the ship?

Edited by rkkunk

We will be in Falmouth April 23 on the RCL Grandeur of the Seas. I first toyed with the idea of doing a Bob Marley tour. But when I checked out youtube videos, it seems that there really isn't much to that tour -- unless one hopes to score some weed. I like my reefer (which I can get at home), so I'm not going to pay for a tour.

By contrast, the Falmouth culinary walking tour is perfect. I want to see some of the town's old wooden architecture anyway. My wife has memory issues but as long as there is food she is game.

We have been in Jamaica (Montego Bay) on a previous cruise. As long as we are there it would be mindless to stay on board and not going beyond the RCL compound of trinket shops.

I first toyed with the idea of doing a Bob Marley tour. But when I checked out youtube videos, it seems that there really isn't much to that tour -- unless one hopes to score some weed. I like my reefer (which I can get at home), so I'm not going to pay for a tour.

No tour needed for that anyway... just walk through the gates out of the sanitized compound area, and you will have a gazillion opportunities to score as much as you want. My 16yo son was amazed at how many people were offering to sell him weed! :eek:

I have to be careful in the wording of the following in order not to incriminate myself.

Years ago we were on a cruise in Ocho Rios. My wife had the bright idea of having her hair braided, so I had time to kill. So I went to a bar next door and was immediately attacked by a bevy of prostitutes, all sky high, who made indecent offers. When I said no, their men came to offer weed.

We then went to a beach and walked back to the ship. At the gate we were greeted by two grinning Jamaican policewomen. Word apparently traveled fast and they went through everything we had. Almost. Couldn't find a thing. But back on the ship I told my wife what had happened and she went through the roof. So I got no pleasure out of it. It wasn't even good weed.

Wouldn't try again. Don't have to.

I posted this because we truly wanted to know about this tour.

We have absolutely NO interest in "scoring weed".

We don't want to do Dunn's River Falls because it just looks like one big tourist trap. We thought since we were just going to stay in the port area we would like to show our son how the locals live and get some history of the town.

If anyone has actually done this tour and can give some information, that would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

• 5 weeks later...

My husband and I did the Heritage Walking Tour last year through RCI. We loved it. Very informative, tons of historical buildings, and a stop at a private school, which was closed, but still a lot to see. There were some neighborhood boys playing soccer on the playground with their mom sitting close by with her baby. The boys immediately came over and talked with us. One of the boys begged us to take him to the U.S. With him. We also saw a very old Anglican Church, but it too was not open.

Our guides were two local young ladies who were trained and certified to be tour guides. They were in uniforms, and were very proud of their town and its history. They easily answered our many questions.

The ladies split up, one lead the way and narrated, the other brought up the rear, and supplied bottled water throughout the tour. They were very aware of the surroundings, and the locals seemed to know them. There were a few sketchy people who yelled at us from a distance, and both ladies responded to them and "put them in their place" quickly.

You should be aware IT WAS SCALDING HOT! The guides stopped in the shade frequently, but everyone was sweating. Half way through, they gave folks the option of taking a taxi back to the port (at their expense). Only one family left, notably, they had kids with them. I will note that I am very overweight, which contributed to my beet red face. I literally poured water over my head to try to cool down. I am also a diabetic, but I had taken medicine and snacks with me, so I was able to make it until the end. Just be prepared for the heat.

The second part of the tour we walked through the residential areas. I've been to India, and some areas were very similar. The poverty is rampant. But, all of the people in this area were friendly, and greeted us as we walked past them. It was a chance to see how so many people in the world live/exist.

I would do it again, but I would be more prepared with some cooling towels, and my own ice water.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by 63galaxie

Here is a link to my extensive review of their culinary tour excursion. We were aboard the MSC Divina. Loved this! I booked it privately via Jamaica Culinary Tours and it is a partnership with the Falmouth Heritage Group. Same uniformed locals as discussed above. Very safe and fun.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039057&highlight=divina+reviews&page=3

Edited by Mrs. Squirrel