June 2nd in Rome

T.O.cruisers

We will be in Rome after our cruise for 2 days, June 1st and 2nd. The 2nd is a public holiday with a parade and such. Can anyone tell me what the city is like on this holiday and what we can expect regarding our visits to the Vatican and the Colosseum? What is open and closed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Most sites are open, but traffic in the Centro Storico will likely be very bad as some areas will be closed off for the parade route and some may be open only to pedestrians. This is especially likely around the Colosseum, so get there early if you need to meet a tour.

The metro should be running and there is a stop right at Colosseo. Depending on where your hotel is, this may be about the easiest way to get there. A taxi would probably have to drop you quite a distance away.

About the Vatican, I have no idea. It could be less crowded if most people are out celebrating and watching the parade.

I would expect that many restaurants will still be open although a few might close.

Edited by cruisemom42

Was there last year on this public holiday. No big deal. Yes some roads are closed for the parade and that area will be very crowded.

We had not problems getting around on foot and everything that we saw and passed by was indeed open.

No worries.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

June will be busy at Vatican I've seen lines wrap around the building during summer months and it's hot. Tough to say what it'll be like for sure just be prepared for crowds and traffic that way if it's light it will be nice surprise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app