Boarding day

Muggzi

What is good to do right after boarding? Are there any restaurants open?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Depends on the ship you are on. In my experience buffets have been open on all ships. But, for example, Magic, has an Italian restaurant on the floor above Lido, lunch is included, dinner has a fee. It used to be not crowded on debarkation day. But, now that it has been posted over and over on this site, it is not the quiet spot it used to be. Plenty of food available, you won't go hungry.:)

What is good to do right after boarding? Are there any restaurants open?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Is this your first cruise? It is so exciting the first time! what ship are you sailing on and we can be more specific? There are always many places open to eat when you board.

Buffet will be open - if the ship has Guy's burgers, it will be open as well. There is also a dining venue on the deck above the buffet - varies depending on the ship - some have fish n chips, some have Italian. We typically drop off our luggage in our cabin if it is ready and grab a bite to eat. Then off to explore the ship until time for the safety drill. Back up to Lido deck for the sail away party.

Last February was our first cruise. I remember just taking in the sights and sounds upon entering the main lobby/atrium. Not rushing to this or that but just feeling our way around the ship. Getting an initial orientation and seeking out expected "favorite" spots. i.e. where is our dining room, where are the different dining alternatives, where is customer service ... where can I get a cold beer:)

DH and I grab a drink of the day and head to the serenity area hot tubs right after boarding (The hot tubs get really crowded later in the cruise). Almost always, we get them to ourselves for a couple hours until people discover the area. Once they start filling up, we head to the buffet for a later lunch (make sure you have a good breakfast before boarding) and then maybe a nap before safety briefing.

There is the Tandoor and the Mongolian Wok. I love 24 hr Pizza Pirate. They have this 4 cheese pizza that is so good. It is thin but not really crunchy and no red sauce. Not the normal cheese pizza you get for kids. I will getting a piece when I board! They have the burrito bar on the dream but I am not sure when it's open.

There is the Tandoor and the Mongolian Wok. I love 24 hr Pizza Pirate. They have this 4 cheese pizza that is so good. It is thin but not really crunchy and no red sauce. Not the normal cheese pizza you get for kids. I will getting a piece when I board! They have the burrito bar on the dream but I am not sure when it's open.

Didnt remember Dream had the Tandoor. Looking forward to it on our next cruise:)

Use Carnival to find out the Lunch options for your ship. Everything but the MDR should be open on Embarkation Day.

Figure out in advance what you want to eat, and b-line for it. Maybe had a 2nd and 3rd choice, just in case. The more out of the way it is, the less likely it is to have a line.

Check your cabin. Even if it is not ready, ask if you can drop off your stuff (put the bags in the closet, out of the Cabin Steward's way).

Explore the ship. Each level, top to bottom, front to back. Just so you know where everything is.

All of the Lido self-serve eateries are open. We grab a bite to eat and enjoy sitting over lunch for awhile. Then drop off our carryon's and explore our cabin and the ship. Sometimes our luggage is delivered early - we work on unpacking until muster drill. Then find a good spot and a cold beverage to enjoy sail away!

Call me crazy, but I've always taken a nap as soon as my room is ready. Between the travel, the waiting in lines and the crowds I always end up pooped! I usually wake up refreshed when the steward bangs on the door for muster drill.

If you're travelling with kids, either have them wear or bring in your carry on their swimsuits. On the first day before the cabins are available, you will most likely be passing through the pool areas and they tend to be empty. Its the best time to have a go at the pools, hot tubs and waterslides (if they are open) because few people remember or choose to have their swimsuits with them in their carry ons.