Northern lights are gray...

bobbisailsolo

Franski,

the person who led the Astronomy Cruise told us that in all his years of this itinerary that only on 3 cruises that they didn’t see the lights. He does multiple cruises a year for over 10 years. It is weather and clouds that make the difference. We had a lot of clouds, very rainy, but through the clouds the lights were seen. Enjoy it.

Thanks, Elka…  Given the Hurtigruten "Northern Lights promise" (free 6 or 7 day cruise if you don't see them....) I thought the chance was pretty high  that they would be visible at some point in our cruise.   But, as mentioned above, not a crushing blow to the trip if they don't appear.   Looking forward to seeing the coastline, and the fjords - whatever the weather!!  

We did look at the Astronomy Cruise  - but the price point was quite a bit higher.  We might have jumped, but already are booked for a trip to Peru in March - so much of our travel budget already committed.  It will be fun to cross both the equator, and the Arctic Circle in the same year!!

Fran

9 minutes ago, franski said:

Thanks, Elka…  Given the Hurtigruten "Northern Lights promise" (free 6 or 7 day cruise if you don't see them....) I thought the chance was pretty high  that they would be visible at some point in our cruise.   But, as mentioned above, not a crushing blow to the trip if they don't appear.   Looking forward to seeing the coastline, and the fjords - whatever the weather!!  

We did look at the Astronomy Cruise  - but the price point was quite a bit higher.  We might have jumped, but already are booked for a trip to Peru in March - so much of our travel budget already committed.  It will be fun to cross both the equator, and the Arctic Circle in the same year!!

Fran

For a grand slam, add in Antarctica before the end of the year, say, Nov/Dec? 

:classic_biggrin:

GC

5 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

For a grand slam, add in Antarctica before the end of the year, say, Nov/Dec? 

:classic_biggrin:

Only if I win a lottery....  Jackpot is 60 million this coming Friday - guess I better buy a ticket!!💰🍀

2 minutes ago, franski said:

Think we are both OK...  my lottery is in Canada...  Looks like you are in the US!!

Yup.

So we can travel together!  All set... we just each need the checks to arrive so we can cash them, right?

:classic_smile:

We are trying to plan an Antarctic trip, but they are *so* expensive.

I was surprised about that, but it's reality.

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

So we can travel together!  All set... we just each need the checks to arrive so we can cash them, right?

If I win the 60 million, the trip is on me...   👍

We have friends that are trying to talk us into doing the Antarctic with them...  Need to see how rough the Arctic is 1st. 

I figure we should have pretty smooth sailing on the Amazon... That is our next cruise.  Although, I doubt I will have any issues with mosquitos in Norway in October!!

Fran