Kona Snorkeling.....location

cc cruiser

We plan on snorkeling in Kona. We have researched Zodiac, Bodyglove, Wahine and FairWinds. I thought we had decided on Wahine because it is a small boat, gets great reviews and goes to Capt. Cook monument. It also has shade & toilet. However, it is a $20 taxi fare ...each way...to their office.

We will be tendering into port. Are all of the snorkeling operations "offsite?"

We plan on snorkeling in Kona. We have researched Zodiac, Bodyglove, Wahine and FairWinds. I thought we had decided on Wahine because it is a small boat, gets great reviews and goes to Capt. Cook monument. It also has shade & toilet. However, it is a $20 taxi fare ...each way...to their office.

We used Fair Winds which went to the bay by Captain Cook. Probably out of the same area. We also had a taxi ride, probably about 20 minutes. Taxi fare probably similar, I don't recall what we paid. We were very happy with the tour operator and the location. Beautiful water, the crew was great, especially the Captain who really entertained the kids on the way back, letting them "drive" the boat. Lunch cooked on board.

I believe Bodyglove is the operator NCL uses, and I think it is in Kona near the pier. You could check their website for address for meeting spot. I think we nixed Bodyglove because it did not go to the bay by Capt Cook, can't think of the name, Kealakekua? Don't know about the others mentioned.

The first time we were in Kona - we snorkeled at Kahaluu Beach Park and it was great. You can rent equipment in Kona and take a short (5-10 min) cab ride to the park.

The last time we were there we left from Keauhou Bay with Sequest (to Captain Cook). It was great - but the boat was small with no services.

The first time we were in Kona - we snorkeled at Kahaluu Beach Park and it was great. You can rent equipment in Kona and take a short (5-10 min) cab ride to the park.

The last time we were there we left from Keauhou Bay with Sequest (to Captain Cook). It was great - but the boat was small with no services.

Thanks for jogging the memory. Keauhou Bay is where we met our FairWinds snorkel tour as well.

So it sounds like Body Glove is the only one at the port we tender in to.....is that correct? It looks like a big "fun boat" .....and would be filled with lots of people, since it is used by other cruise lines (we are on RCCL).

So my thoughts are...should I go for the convenience (and save $40) or take a taxi & get a smaller boat......

So it sounds like Body Glove is the only one at the port we tender in to.....is that correct? It looks like a big "fun boat" .....and would be filled with lots of people, since it is used by other cruise lines (we are on RCCL).

So my thoughts are...should I go for the convenience (and save $40) or take a taxi & get a smaller boat......

Their website says they are a 5 min walk from the pier and leave from Kailua harbor. Are you in port the same day as another ship? If not, then no competition. I believe NCL is there on Wednesdays. NCLers would do the 8:00 am vs the 1:00 pm due to port time. Don't know if your schedule would accommodate a 1:00. Looks to be about the same size as the Four Winds and we did not think it was overly crowded at all.

Deciding factor for me would be price ( I saw $132 on the website ) length of tour and where it goes.

We booked Body Glove last month as a last minute excursion through NCL. Our kids had so much fun snorkeling at Molikini, they wanted more.

Our thoughts on Body Glove

For us they were right next to the tender.

Boat looked new, very clean.

Second floor offered shade in the center.

Crew was very nice.

We rented a Go-Pro on board

Did a good job pointing out whales and dolphins one the way to the snorkeling and on the way back, but did not linger near the marine mammals

fresh water shower available

Boat offered slide or elevated platform to get into water from the second deck

prescription masks available for no extra fee on board

grilled lunch was good

For our particular trip, the boat did not seem crowded at all. plenty of space to move around. Don't know if that is the case every trip or not.

They offered an upgrade to resort course scuba diving. We did not do that.

I don't think Body Glove ever goes to Captain Cooks to snorkel. We had 1 snorkel site.

We had done Molikini with Pacific Whale Foundation. PWF seemed extremely safety conscious. Body Glove not to the same extent. PWF would have multiple crew members count every passenger before we left the dock and again before we left each dive site. Body Glove called out a roll call, that was a little chaotic, with the 2 levels. After lunch on Body Glove, myself and 2 of my teens went back out to snorkel. We are decent swimmers, but not the most experienced snorkelers. I was surprised to look around and see that there was no crew in the water on the kayaks at the time. I don't think that would happen at PWF.

Thank you all for your helpful information! Due to time restraints, it looks like Body Glove or Zodiac (thru the ship excursion) may be our only options. We could still go Kahaluu Beach Park by bus and save about $200.... But we would miss beautiful Kahaluu Beach Park. Decisions, decisions!

Thank you all for your helpful information! Due to time restraints, it looks like Body Glove or Zodiac (thru the ship excursion) may be our only options. We could still go Kahaluu Beach Park by bus and save about $200.... But we would miss beautiful Kahaluu Beach Park. Decisions, decisions!

Do want to go to Kahaluu Beach. Name the bus service, cost, pick up times to and from, please.

This is a great alternative to renting a car or taking the shuttle to get to 2 Step. And I like that it includes a little bit of an Island tour also. Unfortunately, they aren't available the day we will be in port, April 23.

When looking at the port on Google earth there is a large hotel with a beach right next to the tender pier. Has anyone tried snorkeling at that beach - from the view it looks like there is a reef just off the beach and it is a protected area. Any thoughts?

We did Zodiac when we went a few years ago and had a BLAST!!! The "boat" was a bit scary at first (it's just a rubber raft) and you sit on the edge. But the crew was great and our boys had a blast. The snorkeling was beautiful. I wouldn't hesitate to book with Zodiac again.

When looking at the port on Google earth there is a large hotel with a beach right next to the tender pier. Has anyone tried snorkeling at that beach - from the view it looks like there is a reef just off the beach and it is a protected area. Any thoughts?

The hotel is a Marriott Courtyard and, yes, it has a beach, but it's very small and packed on days when ships are in port. It would be OK if you just want to get wet, but don't count on seeing much there. If you venture out of the little protected beach area, there are lots of boats coming and going, so it can be dangerous for a snorkeler. I'd take the little trolley that picks up at the pier (somewhere around $2/pp each way last I heard) and heads south along Alii Drive. You can get off at Kahalu'u Beach Park about 4 miles south of town for great snorkeling. Just make sure to get a schedule from the driver for the return trip and allow plenty of time to get back to the ship. The trolleys can be crowded late in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of the snorkel tour operators, have an underwater photographer? My wife and I went snorkeling off Bonaire (Dutch Antilles); the tour operator divided us up into groups, and had the photographer swim among the groups, taking underwater photos. Got a photo CD for $25, was happy with that price!

Surely something like that is offered at Kona?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on many of the snorkel tours...can definitely say that the Body Glove (which leaves from Kailua pier where the tenders bring you ashore) and the Fair Wind II (which leaves from Keauhou Bay near the Sheraton) are both big, comfortable boats with great crews, good food, easy to use toilets, and plenty of shade. If someone in your group doesn't want to snorkel, they will be comfortable staying aboard and watching.

I'm a big fan of the Kamanu, a true sailing catamaran, that carries fewer passengers and leaves out of Honokohau harbor. Call ahead, they can provide transfers to and from the Kailua pier. This is the same harbor where many fishing charters and other snorkel/dive boats depart.