Booking flights with Celebrity?

stitchcreek

I'm looking out at around June 2017 for flights to go with an Alaska cruisetour and there's no availability coming up (I guess coz it's too early for flights).

I thought there was a way to book flights in general, with specifics then confirmed once schedules have been confirmed - is this not the case anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old cruise air system has been abandoned by most of the large cruise lines. Viking and many of the of the river lines still employ a system where you can get air through them and they make the decisions about flights and airlines as well as give you a set price.

If you use Choice Air, when flights are available, you will be able to get a short list of flights that work with your itinerary. You can then choose from that list and pay the cost for that flight. The price will vary since X is acting more like a travel agent. The system is opaque in that you do not know the fare rules or restrictions that apply to the ticket that you purchase. Just know that there are restrictions which might include things such as being unable to change routing or airline if things go pear shaped.

Thanks for this. So I won't be able to book any flights at this stage - I just need to keep an eye on it?

How does booking airport transfers work?

And if we need to arrive the day before, how does booking a pre-night at a hotel work?

Can I do all of this online still, or will I need to call?

Thanks again!

Edited by stitchcreek

Booking flights for your cruise: you have lots of options including ChoiceAir. My view is that ChoiceAir has been competitive with regard to seat pricing compared to other consolidators who book flights as well as the airlines themselves.

But you have to shop the prices. Here are some thoughts on that:

Generally, seats go on sale 12-14 months before the fly date. You'll get a decently discounted fare when the schedule is first published. You'll also have more options with regard to routing and seat selection by buying early.

You can wait for a lower price. Sometimes you'll get one sometimes you won't. Airlines start managing passenger load about 90d out for international flights. At this point you have to watch carefully for deals as they will appear for a short period, maybe hours or days, then disappear. When you do this, keep in mind, the airline is trying to sell unsold seats which are not usually the best ones.

A big advantage of booking with Choice/Air is that Celebrity will get you to the ship regardless of delays or cancellations that occur on your booking. It's like free trip insurance. I've also found the booking agents with ChoiceAir have gotten quite good at finding low fares with good connections.

Just know that there are restrictions which might include things such as being unable to change routing or airline if things go pear shaped.

If you live in UK, it is close to a 'package,' as transport and a day room in a hotel can be included.

But be aware that certain flights cannot be cancelled.

We booked through Celebrity UK and the flight price was quoted, which was less than the single fare to LHR from Miami. Our flights were Manchester to Rome on Jet2 and Miami to LHR and then on to MAN via BA. The transatlantic flight (single ) would have been more than the total package if we had tried to book it ourselves.

When I booked, I was told that the outward flight to Rome was on Jet2, as it was more convenient than a BA flight to LHR and then on to Rome. AT NO TIME WAS I TOLD THAT THERE WAS A PENALTY IF WE CANCELLED THIS FLIGHT.

We had to cancel the cruise, but were told we had to pay for the MAN to Rome flight(£450 for 2 passengers) We contested this, as nowhere were we given Terms and Conditions in writing. The brochure just states that there is a fee of £35 for flight changes. It took us 3 months to get our money back.

Edited by upwarduk

For our upcoming Baltics cruise, I checked ChoiceAir. It wasn't less expensive than what I was seeing by booking myself and a lot of their available flights were rather restrictive...had us connecting in New York. I wanted a connection in Europe and the choices they listed didn't give that connection option. I'd suggest booking on your own you might see more choices overall.

The major benefit in using Choice Air, for us, has been in one way transport to and from Europe. However, in recently talking with Choice Air, we have been told that they will meet nearly all flights, companies and prices that you can find. In nearly every case, the tickets are non-refundable.

We always use Choice when we take a Transatlantic. A couple years ago, our flight leaving Amsterdam was grounded, as the landing gear was not working. Choice/Delta put everyone up for the night in a couple different hotels, provided dinner and breakfast the next day and at no cost to any passengers.

We have always found that the flight schedules are usually available about 12 months out.

If you're booking in UK (which I'm sure you are from previous posts), it's totally different to the ChoiceAir program many posters are quoting. You book as part of a package with included flights and transfers etc., or a cruise only option. Best to ring X and see what they are offering. European flights can be cheaper to book independently, as stated above, and I just laughed at an X advisor when he quoted £1000pp for economy flights to FL a couple of years ago. Remember, too, that they will choose the flight route (as upwarduk quoted above) - if you want to deviate or choose particular airlines, it will possibly cost you more.

You need to cost out the difference between booking all elements totally independently against X pricing (like for like). We tend to book our own flights separately and arrive at least a day to two before the cruise begins (we are doing this even for HK later in the year ;)). The only cruise where I booked flights with the deal was for Alaska, mainly because, at the time (2009), I couldn't obtain better pricing for the whole package i.e. flights, overnight hotel, transfers to ship etc. On that occasion, I booked in the UK. However, my preference is to book our cruises in the States because I prefer the flexibility ;).

Edited by villauk

We usually book our air independently, as well as any hotels for before or after stays and usually find this substantially cheaper. The exception to this is when we want a one way ticket between Europe and Canada. Then ChoiceAir can be much more reasonable. As an example we just booked London Gatwick to Toronto for $320CAD even though we are staying in UK for two weeks after our cruise and the entire trip was booked only four weeks ahead of travelling.

We make sure we have researched flights extensively, then check ChoiceAir and book with whichever gives the best price.

I don't know about from the UK, but when I looked at flights from Orlando to Rome using ChoiceAir, and then looked on my own, I found flights on Norwegian that were about $300 pp less than on any other airline, and Celebrity doesn't seem to use this airline. I would definitely fly in at least a day before your cruise departs, and compare booking air on your own to using the cruise line, and I would be almost certain that you could get a hotel for less money if you booked it yourself.

Does Celebrity include transfers?

We'd need to get from airport to hotel to port - so I'll have to check this pricing too...

If you're booking in UK (which I'm sure you are from previous posts), it's totally different to the ChoiceAir program many posters are quoting. You book as part of a package with included flights and transfers etc., or a cruise only option. Best to ring X and see what they are offering.

Yes, they will also allocate you a hotel, as you will have to fly in a day early. They will transport you to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port the following day. If there are any delays, they guarantee to get you to the ship. All you have to is to get yourself to airport initially.

Edited by upwarduk

If you use Choice Air, when flights are available, you will be able to get a short list of flights that work with your itinerary. You can then choose from that list and pay the cost for that flight.

Althought the Choice Air search will show a limited number of flight options, if you do your research (using ITA Matrix or Google Flight) they can book you on any airline/routing that you choose. The last time I used Choice Air my preferred routing was not listed but by providing them with the details they were able to provide a quote on those exact flights for me.

I'm tempted to go with Celeb for ease - however, any thoughts on whether to add their flights now at the set price, or add when the actual schedules have been released and perhaps the pricing would be altered accordingly?

(Anyone had experiences with it being either cheaper or more expensive by waiting until this point?)

Stitchcreek,

You must remember that most of the posts on this thread are not relevant to your situation if you book in the UK ;). US and Canadian cruisers have a totally different system for flights than the one operated in the UK. As Upwarduk stated above, it's a 'package' in the UK - all elements are included in the cost i.e. flights, over night accommodation, transfers etc., or alternatively a cruise only price. You, or your TA, really need to ring X to obtain exact costings ;).

See what X are offering and then do a little research to see if it's much different than sorting yourself. If it's minimal, go with X for the convenience.

Edited by villauk