1st time Southern Carib. Help with time zone differences

weebo

I'm confused about the time differences in the Southern Caribbean (our ports: Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Martin, St. Thomas) vs the ship's time. I assumed the ship would change their clocks to reflect the different time zones they travel in, but now I'm not sure.

Have any of you sailed this itinerary before?

We booked a tour with a St. Martin operator and below is the statement he sent me in his confirmation email

<<Check in and return times are quoted in LOCAL time. Please check well in advance with your ship to know the difference, if any, between our local time (Atlantic Standard Time) and the ship time. St. Martin is on Atlantic Standard Time and we are one hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time. Your ship may be on either Eastern Standard Time or Atlantic Standard Time.>>

How far in advance should I check to know the difference?

How do I check with the ship if I want to check, say, a month ahead of sail date?

Our ship docks in St. Martin at 8am. Thanks for your help.

The ship will change to "Atlantic Time Zone" after first night and remain ontil the final night. In other words the ship time and local time match throughout the cruise. (Just off the 2/21 Eclipse cruise)[/quote

Howvwr, as of today, Atlantic and Eastern time are the same due to the US Daylight Savings, which the Caribbean (in the main) does not practice. So, Eastern time has "caught up" to Atlantic, no time changes needed for those islands... At least not until fall, when US "falls back" to standard time...

The ship will change to "Atlantic Time Zone" after first night and remain ontil the final night. In other words the ship time and local time match throughout the cruise. (Just off the 2/21 Eclipse cruise)

That's true for February, but not during that part of the year when daylight savings time is observed. While some Caribbean islands observe DST, most don't, including the islands to be visited by the OP. If Weebo's cruise is during the period from today through November 6, 2016, these islands will be on the same time as Florida.

EDIT: Reedprincess, you clearly type faster than I do! :)

Edited by Fouremco

The ship will change to "Atlantic Time Zone" after first night and remain until the final night. In other words the ship time and local time match throughout the cruise. (Just off the 2/21 Eclipse cruise)

Howvwr, as of today, Atlantic and Eastern time are the same due to the US Daylight Savings, which the Caribbean (in the main) does not practice. So, Eastern time has "caught up" to Atlantic, no time changes needed for those islands... At least not until fall, when US "falls back" to standard time...

So, that means when I cruise in December, my ship will be on daylight savings time and the islands won't be??? Sorry, I think I am still confused.:rolleyes:

But some of you seem to be saying the ship will change to Atlantic time and stay there...

Edited by weebo

So, that means when I cruise in December, my ship will be on daylight savings time and the islands won't be??? Sorry, I think I am still confused.:rolleyes:

But some of you seem to be saying the ship will change to Atlantic time and stay there...

No, if your cruise is in December, DST will be finished. Consequently, the ship will operate on Atlantic Time (AT), which will be one hour earlier than Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). If departing from Florida, the ship will switch its time from EDT to AT and back during the cruise, and you'll be advised when to do so.

As San Juan operates on AT year round, you will need to adjust your watch upon arrival there and will not need to make any further adjustment on the ship.

Edited by Fouremco

OK , one more time - you're sailing on Summit from San Juan in December, San Juan and all of Puerto Rico is in the ATLANTIC TIME ZONE, all the island you are visiting are in the ATLANTIC TIME ZONE. Change your time keeping device to Atlantic time ( 1 hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time since DST is over by then) and you'll have it right everywhere you go.

OK - I got it. :)

Thank you to everyone who replied.

I will just have DH set his watch to Atlantic Standard time while we're waiting for our plane to take off for Puerto Rico! Can't wait!

Edited by weebo

Just returned from the Silhouette March 6 sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan, St. Kitts and St. Maarten. The ship did NOT change time. We had a private tour in St. Maarten and had to go by local island time not ship's time. We had to rush right off to make the meeting time. It also meant that we had a little extra time when we got back - the schedule on return would only have given us 30 minutes to be back on board.