On the Gem now, if there are any questions

Kingmaker_inc

So, a few quick points arising from things I've read here before I boarded:

Both DH & I are Platinum Latitudes Members. We received two Dinners for 2 and two coupons for Free Laundry automatically. No issue with both of us getting our perk.

We had a great turn out of Members at the CC M&G - thanks to the organizers!! There was also a large turn-out of senior Officers, including the Captain.

Any questions... ask and I will try to answer or find answers...

Can you find out if there is a coffee maker in the balcony rooms and, if so, what kind of coffee to bring? Thanks!!!

Thank you for the clarification. That makes more sense, although it is disappointing to hear that the water in San Juan is contaminated. I wonder if they all went to the same place together and perhaps it is just a local contamination versus more widespread in San Juan.

For someone to say...yes even if that someone is the captain...that the illness was caused by contaminated water without having scientific proof is irresponsible. Short of having a qualified lab test the water how can he possibly make that statement? As I said in an earlier post, Puerto Rico has been like a second home for us for more than 40 years. Puerto Rico's water has to meet the same standards as the water supply in the 50 states and DC. Can something happen to cause a problem with a water supply? Of course, but if there were a widespread problem why wouldn't there be a higher incidence of illness on the ship? Wouldn't there be press reports of widespread illness in residents of Puerto Rico? It's every bit as likely that the problem was caused by an ill passenger. Maybe some food served on the ship was contaminated. Who knows? When norovirus strikes it spreads like wildfire. In the past few weeks two colleges in the Philadelphia area had to be closed for several days because of noro. Was it caused by water? Was it caused by food? Not likely. All it would take is one sick student or staff member at each school for the illness to spread to dozens of people who are living and working in close quarters, just as passengers and crew are living and working in close quarters on a cruise ship.

It has definitely cast a pall over the cruise. When the captain announced we are precleared for Tortola assuming things don't worsen it really brightened people up.

Do you know what your cousin did on shore ? Did your cousin eat or drink while ashore.

They didn't eat or drink, just shop and return to ship to drink for free. Her cabinmate has been just fine even though they've been quarantined for I believe 2 days now. This is the case with another couple I met also now in quarantine.

I remain somewhat disappointed in the cleanliness of the Gem. I personally have been served in at least 3 obviously dirty glasses and one broken glass. There are no washy-washy people posted in the Magenta or Grand Pacific dining rooms, just the lone sanitizer dispenser. I would like to see some sanitizers near the elevators. This has led to speculation among some passengers that it could actually be food borne on ship. I don't know enough about Noro to have an opinion either way.

The staff seems very overworked right now and food service is quite slow. I haven't visited the buffet since Day 3 or so, but understand they have someone posted at each location so perhaps that's why they seem spread so thin. I will say they are working very hard with positive attitudes and are earning their tips.

The staff seems very overworked right now and food service is quite slow. I haven't visited the buffet since Day 3 or so, but understand they have someone posted at each location so perhaps that's why they seem spread so thin. I will say they are working very hard with positive attitudes and are earning their tips.

The Captain said "it looks like" when describing the cause, based on the common experience reported by those who first succumbed to illness.

I am going to have to disagree about the cleanliness of the ship - from what I have seen and experienced - it is exemplary. The cleaning routine at the Garden Cafe at night is like a military operation.

There are hand sanitizers at the entry and exit of every restaurant, so some of them are within 10 ft of the elevators.

There is no food sitting out in the Haven, like normal days. I presume this is a cautionary measure as well.

Staff who do not regularly serve food - each staff member - is asked to put in one hour in the buffet assisting in safe food service. So, the acupuncturist was handing out cutlery; the Kids Club people were pouring and handing out drinks... one extra hour each. It was an "all hands on deck" sort of arrangement.

FYI, we are in port at Tortola... and seems like it will be a normal port day.

Edited by Kingmaker_inc

I want to thank you so so much for keeping us informed. We are on the Gem Tuesday with 20 people. I hope they will allow us to get on Keep the postings coming.

You will definitely be boarding on Tuesday (along with Captain Lars... who is hilarious!). Your boarding time *might* be a little later than normal, as I imagine there will be a top to bottom sanitizing.

Hi

Can someone tell me what pier number the Gem docks at in NY?

I apologize if this a thread hijack.

Most of the time, Pier 88. Occasionally if the Breakaway and/or some other ships are there, the Gem may use Pier 90.....

Today he added more information about the transmission after the first instances - some people who were under quarantine opted to leave their cabins and visited the Garden Cafe... thus giving the opportunity for the virus to be spread. The Captain was not impressed with that decision making... and no wonder.

Are you serious? Some passengers willfully violated quarantine? They should be thrown in the 'brig' for that, and fined big time, and banned from cruising forever.

There must be some big civil penalty for that......:mad:

Uhhh...doncha think if it was the water we would have heard about outbreaks on other cruise ships that were docked at the same time?

Also people seem to have a false sense of security....i understand washing your hands is a way to reduce your risk.....however the vomit/diarrhea particles are still in the air from public restrooms or someone vomining near you. Also from what i understand hand sanitizers dont work on stomach virus, so im not sure why people think the washy washy people are so important. Washy washy also doesn't help when people cough into their hands/lick their fingers etc then touch tongs.

Also quarantining people for 24-48 hours isnt a way to stop the spread since you still can transmit the virus for 2 weeks after sympoms end.

Uhhh...doncha think if it was the water we would have heard about outbreaks on other cruise ships that were docked at the same time?

Also people seem to have a false sense of security....i understand washing your hands is a way to reduce your risk.....however the vomit/diarrhea particles are still in the air from public restrooms or someone vomining near you. Also from what i understand hand sanitizers dont work on stomach virus, so im not sure why people think the washy washy people are so important. Washy washy also doesn't help when people cough into their hands/lick their fingers etc then touch tongs.

Also quarantining people for 24-48 hours isnt a way to stop the spread since you still can transmit the virus for 2 weeks after sympoms end.

If so, they should remain in quarantine to the end of the cruise, or leave at the next port if they'd rather....

The virus has to play itself out. I believe that it is a contact virus, not an airborne one... but I don't know that for sure. And I don't think the incubation is anywhere near as long as two weeks.

The measures on the ship are to minimize the possibility of contact with the virus. So washing hands and sanitizing reduces the chance of it being on your skin and then you touching your mouth, eyes, nose.

Also at this point on the ship, only staff in gloves are permitted to touch any serving spoons, tongs, pie lifters, etc. There is zero passenger contact with anything other than their individual plate and cutlery.

Are you serious? Some passengers willfully violated quarantine? They should be thrown in the 'brig' for that, and fined big time, and banned from cruising forever.

I am serious. Not only did they leave their cabins, but they apparently attended at the buffet while there was no restriction on using tongs, serving spoons, etc.

- - -

Now consider the economic impact of a ship this size not making a port day. Everyone from the major tour operators to the guy who puts up the umbrellas on the beach; and the tour guides to the taxi drivers; and the high-end shops to the kiosks... everybody loses.

If 2/3rds of people leave the ship and spend on average $100 each on excursions, shopping, food... that is a loss of $200,00 to the economy of a very small island.

OK, so the next day that money gets spent by some other ship... but that isn't the point. Economically, yesterday was a bad day for St. Maarten. Period.

If so, they should remain in quarantine to the end of the cruise, or leave at the next port if they'd rather....

I think you are missing the point...no one said to quarantine for the duration of the cruise....im saying its impossible to get ahead of the situation when they are infiltrating these people back into the cruise population and everyone thinks the washy washy lady at the buffet is the answer to the problem.

The virus has to play itself out. I believe that it is a contact virus, not an airborne one... but I don't know that for sure. And I don't think the incubation is anywhere near as long as two weeks.

The measures on the ship are to minimize the possibility of contact with the virus. So washing hands and sanitizing reduces the chance of it being on your skin and then you touching your mouth, eyes, nose.

Also at this point on the ship, only staff in gloves are permitted to touch any serving spoons, tongs, pie lifters, etc. There is zero passenger contact with anything other than their individual plate and cutlery.

Its not just a contact virus....its also airborne if you are close to someone who vomits or using a pubic bathroom.

You are correct the incubation period generally is 24-48 hours after ingestion, ( such as licking fingers/inhailing vomit particles)...i was talking about how long someone can transmit it via their stool/not washing hands thoroughly after leaving bathrooms, then touching handrails, elevators, tongs etc.

In addition, should you enter your cabin after the previous occupant had the stomach virus and you stewart didnt clean every square inch (and im not too confident there is any cleaning product that kills noro germs that can last up to 7 days on surfaces).

Most of this info can be found on the cdc website http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

I wish I could find the "like" button for this comment Bob Brown...and the Share button!!! You are so right.

I am serious. Not only did they leave their cabins, but they apparently attended at the buffet while there was no restriction on using tongs, serving spoons, etc.

- - -

Now consider the economic impact of a ship this size not making a port day. Everyone from the major tour operators to the guy who puts up the umbrellas on the beach; and the tour guides to the taxi drivers; and the high-end shops to the kiosks... everybody loses.

If 2/3rds of people leave the ship and spend on average $100 each on excursions, shopping, food... that is a loss of $200,00 to the economy of a very small island.

OK, so the next day that money gets spent by some other ship... but that isn't the point. Economically, yesterday was a bad day for St. Maarten. Period.

I am sure this was the St. Maarten authorities and not NCL that did this. In Feb. on Oceania they stopped people from getting off for about 2 hours while they came aboard to check the ship.

I am sure this was the St. Maarten authorities and not NCL that did this. In Feb. on Oceania they stopped people from getting off for about 2 hours while they came aboard to check the ship.

I agree, it was a decision made by the Health Authority of St. Maarten. They did board and conduct some sort of inspection, and concluded that we could not dock.

More of "regular" reporting:

Tonight was Teppanyaki. It is a nice meal, but WHOA - it is loud in there. With all the surface noise it is really hard to hear what the chef is saying (and they seem to like to be chatty with guests), and equally hard for him to hear if you say something like, "Please, no egg in my rice." Unless you are super sure he's heard you - double check or you are getting egg in your rice. :)

We aren't big fans of the green tea ice cream and cake, so we passed on dessert and picked up something sweet in the buffet. It was busy in there and they still have all the safety protocols going. Staff serving at each dish/station.

did anyone do the Baths at Virgin Gorda in Tortola. My husband and five family members in their 60s did and then we read up and my husband is worried he won't be able to do this climbing. He is in great shape. Hmmmmm for a 67 year old but knees sometimes get sore. What do you think. Did you guys have the white party yet. How long were you on the ship until you could enjoy the pools. Did anyone do the murder mystery lunch/dinner

Edited by hitestrn1

I want to thank you so so much for keeping us informed. We are on the Gem Tuesday with 20 people. I hope they will allow us to get on Keep the postings coming.

I will also be boarding Tuesday.

Did u join our roll call??

Its not just a contact virus....its also airborne if you are close to someone who vomits or using a pubic bathroom.

You are correct the incubation period generally is 24-48 hours after ingestion, ( such as licking fingers/inhailing vomit particles)...i was talking about how long someone can transmit it via their stool/not washing hands thoroughly after leaving bathrooms, then touching handrails, elevators, tongs etc.

In addition, should you enter your cabin after the previous occupant had the stomach virus and you stewart didnt clean every square inch (and im not too confident there is any cleaning product that kills noro germs that can last up to 7 days on surfaces).

Most of this info can be found on the cdc website http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

I am already prepared. I bout santizing wipes and Lysol spray for my cabin!

did anyone do the Baths at Virgin Gorda in Tortola. My husband and five family members in their 60s did and then we read up and my husband is worried he won't be able to do this climbing. He is in great shape. Hmmmmm for a 67 year old but knees sometimes get sore. What do you think. Did you guys have the white party yet. How long were you on the ship until you could enjoy the pools. Did anyone do the murder mystery lunch/dinner

I did the baths last year, but the one where you swim to shore. It was a long swim for some. There were a few spots in the Baths where you have to step up or down a farther distance than desirable, but generally there are ropes to hold on to. I have to say that one lady twisted her ankle when she stepped down into water and thought it was deeper than it really was. Also, in the smaller passages, it was very crowded.

White Hot Party is tomorrow night.

No on the murder mystery event.