Newbie to P and O- a few Britannia questions

bonni99

Hello

we have never sailed P and O but I am tempted by the Britannia ship and wondered if anyone could shed any ligt on a few questions

What is the inroom entertainment like with regarsd to TV? I know so many people say they dont go on a cruise to stay in their cabin but we love relaxing in bed with a good film on! Do the suites offer DVD players at all?

Is there any difference between tv offerings in balcony cabins and suites? Have seen some good prices on suites for a Fjords trip in the summer so am tempted!

Are the suites worth the extra money from a balcony? Its hard to tell how large they are- looking at a B1-B5- any thoughts on the benefits between those?

We have always sailed with Cunard- can anyone comment on any big difference in food quality between the two? we are a little bit tired of the ultra formalness of Cunard and like the idea of some of the new things on offer on the britannia- any thouhts or observations welcome

Thank you!

Hello

we have never sailed P and O but I am tempted by the Britannia ship and wondered if anyone could shed any ligt on a few questions

What is the inroom entertainment like with regarsd to TV? I know so many people say they dont go on a cruise to stay in their cabin but we love relaxing in bed with a good film on! Do the suites offer DVD players at all?

Is there any difference between tv offerings in balcony cabins and suites? Have seen some good prices on suites for a Fjords trip in the summer so am tempted!

Are the suites worth the extra money from a balcony? Its hard to tell how large they are- looking at a B1-B5- any thoughts on the benefits between those?

We have always sailed with Cunard- can anyone comment on any big difference in food quality between the two? we are a little bit tired of the ultra formalness of Cunard and like the idea of some of the new things on offer on the britannia- any thouhts or observations welcome

Thank you!

Hello,

Personally, I thought the in room TV / films etc were very good on our Britannia cruise last May. There is no difference between different types of cabin.

From memory the only suites in the P&O fleet that have DVD's are on board Oceana (but I may be wrong here!) I don't recall there being one in our suite.

Now to try and answer your main question re suites ....

Some will say they're not worth the extra money but it all depends on what you want / expect from your cruise & what you're prepared to pay!!

For us, we love the extra space & the 'perks' that are associated with a suite, although they're not as great as some of the other cruise lines! We also love having our 'own' space to relax & chill out or more importantly to sunbathe ... our own little bit of heaven.

There is a vast difference between the different grade of suites on Britannia as to whether you are in a forward, midship or aft facing suite.

The forward facing suites have a large sloping window & a side balcony. Have a look at this ....

The midship suites are OK, but again you have a very narrow balcony.

We went for an aft corner suite last year on C deck & have booked another one but on B deck this year.

We love the aft suites & much prefer them to the midship ones, however, you do feel a little bit more movement (if in rough seas) & vibration when docking, so if prone to sickness etc you might be better to opt for a midship suite.

If you Google Britannia suites you'll find some You Tube footage of both a B2 (midship) & B4 (aft suite) posted by a travel agent that did a ship visit last year.

Here's my photo album of suite C736 on Britannia to give you some idea.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/waller2011/25Z1TQ

We were lucky enough to look at a suite on F deck & the layout of that & we subsequently found out later, that on D deck as well is different to these. In my opinion they're not quite as nice.

I've also put a link to my photo album of my day visit to Britannia which will give you some idea of the other type of cabins on Britannia.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskaMpBD2

We've only cruised on Cunard once for a short cruise so don't think I can really comment objectively.

I hope this has helped.

Joan

If you are used to going on Cunard in a suite and eating in a grill class restaurant then I think you will be very disappointed with the food on Britannia. The food is the same on all P&O ships from an inside to a suite and think the food and offerings in a suite overall with Cunard are far superior.

Hello

Thank you!

I thought the choice of films and TV programmes on our Christmas Britannia cruise was excellent and a big improvement on Azura 2 years previously. They included Philomena, 12 Years a Slave, Gravity, Belle, Malificent and several others that I would have liked to watch but didn't. There were also on-demand films available.

IIRC the TV programmes included a mix of classic British sitcoms and dramas, plus some US TV series I wasn't familiar with. I watched very little, but I know our son watched pretty much everything he didn't have to pay for when he should have been revising for his mock GCSEs!