Cocktails?

bradtarga34

Id guess itll start on the Sojourn as that was the first to have the equipment and has staff joining it that went through the training. When it rolls out theyll be making their own fresh mixers, expanding the included liquors, making their own ice cubes of varying sizes as well as their own tonic water. No idea on an actual rollout timeline as it was supposed to have been "soon" back in February.

We were on Odyssey in February when they did a soft opening of the cocktail menu. They did the tasting by passengers after Sydney, Emperor Norton which is a shame as I would have liked your viewpoint. Extra staff come on board from Sojourn to cover the Odyssey bar staff while they did the extra training.

They are serving these new cocktails in some specific cocktail glasses i.e. The Moscow Mule is served in it's little copper cup. They have a cocktail bar menu with these drinks listed and the ingredients.

Claudio practised his new bar skills on myself and some of my friends. My favourite was the Mojito. I have had good and bad at various bars but this was excellent........fresh and minty. The Cosmopolitan had a bit of theatre to flame the orange peel to get the essence but it was a bit sweet for my tastes. My friends had their own favourites but I can't recall what they were called.

You had to be a bit patient as they are just learning these new techniques, as with all new things it will take practice for them to get quicker. Not all of the bar staff have learnt these skills as yet and they will need to get more of the staff skilled up.

They have a different Bar Menu in the Observation Bar to The Club. I was told that people can still have their favourite drink in either venue even if not on that areas menu.

I am not sure how this is going since I got off in Fiji and whether anything has changed.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

Claudio practised his new bar skills on myself and some of my friends.

Great update Julie... thank you!

How are the staff liking the changes? Claudio already mixed a great monitor before any adaptations.

I'm looking forward to testing how the Quest is doing. Speaking of, any recent sailors who can comment on who is manning the bars?

Interesting that somehow they now need a menu for cocktails, I have never had a problem getting whatever I asked for. (And when I ask for something unusual the bartender always figures it out, sometimes it takes a few iterations but they get it right.) And my wife often asks for the bartender to make her something "different", maybe now they will simplify give her the menu?

I certainly will appreciate it if the mixers will be freshly made and the liquor upgraded, although other than the pitiful Tequila and bourbon choices (not discussing the champagne which I do not like) I am fine with the current selection of vodka, etc.

Interesting that somehow they now need a menu for cocktails, I have never had a problem getting whatever I asked for.

I suspect that this is marketing trained toward the younger demographic where artisan cocktails (i.e. whatever signature drink the mixologist has created for a particular establishment) are the norm.

All sounds very interesting and nice to know they are pushing the boat out so to speak! Making their own tonic sounds interesting, we have a very good tonic here called Fever Tree, makes a very noticeable difference to the taste of drinks compared to the run of the mill tonics such as Canada Dry. One of my favour drinks is a Hendricks and tonic with a slice of cucumber but tastes so different without fever tree it puts me off somewhat. Noticed British airways premium cabins now stock Fever tree so very happy with that, would be good if Seabourn could try it given they are upping their anti, don't underestimate the difference a good quality mixer makes.

Great update Julie... thank you!

How are the staff liking the changes? Claudio already mixed a great monitor before any adaptations.

I'm looking forward to testing how the Quest is doing. Speaking of, any recent sailors who can comment on who is manning the bars?

jenidallas when I left and after 10 days of implementing it Claudio said he liked the chance to gain more skills. His brother Sandro was there from the Sojourn to help cover while the Odyssey staff were getting the training. Sandro was very happy to have this extra skill.

Claudio told me he will be on Sojourn when we get on in July so I will be able to find out how he feels after implementing it for a few months. I must admit I didn't try a Mojito from Claudio before.........I'm not really a big cocktail drinker, though I do like a good dirty martini. That's something I remember now, they are using the bigger, juicier olives now.

Julie

We were on Odyssey in February when they did a soft opening of the cocktail menu. They did the tasting by passengers after Sydney, Emperor Norton which is a shame as I would have liked your viewpoint. Extra staff come on board from Sojourn to cover the Odyssey bar staff while they did the extra training.

They are serving these new cocktails in some specific cocktail glasses i.e. The Moscow Mule is served in it's little copper cup. They have a cocktail bar menu with these drinks listed and the ingredients.

Claudio practised his new bar skills on myself and some of my friends. My favourite was the Mojito. I have had good and bad at various bars but this was excellent........fresh and minty. The Cosmopolitan had a bit of theatre to flame the orange peel to get the essence but it was a bit sweet for my tastes. My friends had their own favourites but I can't recall what they were called.

You had to be a bit patient as they are just learning these new techniques, as with all new things it will take practice for them to get quicker. Not all of the bar staff have learnt these skills as yet and they will need to get more of the staff skilled up.

They have a different Bar Menu in the Observation Bar to The Club. I was told that people can still have their favourite drink in either venue even if not on that areas menu.

I am not sure how this is going since I got off in Fiji and whether anything has changed.

Julie

I tried when I was on to be the lab rab for their classes:D I do look forward to these changes, but I wish both TK and the guy for the bar changes had to implement their own changes in hurricane force winds in the middle of Drakes passage before handing down what can be very unreasonable standards. I was very happy when Sandro and Sonja came over from Sojourn.

Edited by Emperor Norton