Enquiry about booking shows

Delbankin

Hi,

Although we have cruised NCL before we haven't cruised on the larger ships but have now booked a cruise on Epic this summer.

I am still mystified on the booking process for shows despite searching through various previous posts and the NCL website.

We looked at booking the Cirque show and only one date appeared on the website so we booked it.

We can't see any available dates for Queen of the Desert. Are they all sold out already 80 odd days before we cruise. Can we book once on board?.

There still seems to be a theatre on board so presumably there are standard shows on a first come first served basis.

Also what about the other venues where music is performed - do we need to book?. I have seen that even when booking e.g. Cirque, it is still a first come first served basis.

I could continue searching but it would be helpful if someone could provide some basic advice to help us work out what we need to do either before or once on board.

Del

Not 100% sure, but my guess is thats because the date.

On the left hand side, when booking shows, dining reservations and shore excursions, there are dates/days of your cruise.

I believe only day 1 is pre-selected, which is why you only saw 1 date for the Cirque show and nothing for the other show (probably doesn't happen on day 1).

Try clicking some of the other dates of the cruise and see what appears.

Thanks MrMike45,

I did try your suggestion but for Queen of the Desert only one day in July and one in September appears which isn't much good for us as our cruise is in June!.

I would also still like to hear from others (or yourself) regarding my other enquiry concerning the other music venues on board Epic.

Do we have to book to enter venues e.g. Headliner or Beatles type shows or is it first come first serve?

I honestly can't think where you are looking if you can see shows in July and September when your cruise is in June. You should only be able to see shows that are happening during your cruise.

You aren't reading the dates wrong are you? They are in the American format month/day/year.

To answer your other questions:

Almost certainly none of the main shows will be fully booked this far out. Maybe they haven't been made available yet, or maybe you are just missing them. If you have booked any meals then shows that clash probably won't show up.

Even if all prebookings have gone, there will be more available onboard.

Queen of the Desert and Burn the Floor are held in the main theatre. There will be a couple of evenings where neither of those shows are on, and there is likely to be something else on in the theatre, which will most likely be first come first served with no reservations.

With Cirque, and the main theatre shows, the reservation guarantees you entry (as long as you aren't late), but not a specific seat. That's why you may still want to get there at a decent time to get a good seat.

Places like Headliners and the Cavern usually don't have any reservations, although some comedy shows may need them. If so then it will be bookable onboard.

Shows like Howl at the Moon and the Beatles aren't necessarily ones that you stay at for the whole evening. People tend to wander in and out throughout the 3-4 hour long show.

Basically, forget about how shows work on traditional cruises. This is different and if you try to think of it in the context of traditional cruising then you will just get confused.

Instead, just imagine it the way it is in real life. Some shows require reservations in order to guarantee entry, but meanwhile the bar round the corner just allows people to go in and out as they wish. That's what you've got here.

Thanks KeithJenner,

You have perfectly answered my questions. I have to admit to feeling a bit silly at the moment.

Despite taking more than a dozen cruises, and a good number with US based companies I completely forgot the dates would be in US format so my statement about July and September dates actually reflects 7th and 9th June.

I have now booked Queen of the Desert and had booked Cirque previously based on the 06/06 option so couldn't have got that one wrong anyway!

I now understand the arrangements for the other venues as well.

This will be our first time on a real mega ship (Navigator of the Seas the biggest previously) so we probably have a lot to learn.

Recent numerous negative reviews suggest it may also be our last mega ship experience but we will be going with an open and positive frame of mind, given that we haven't had a bad cruise yet.