Spending limits on kids' KTTW card?

davidmbfonz

Does anyone know if you can place individual spending limits on the kids' key to the world card? For example what if we wanted to put a $200 limit on our 10-year-old's card? Is that possible?

Edited by davidmbfonz

Does anyone know if you can place individual spending limits on the kids' key to the world card? For example what if we wanted to put a $200 limit on our 10-year-old's card? Is that possible?

No, a KTTW card either has charge privileges or it doesn't. You can't put a limit on it.

But a Disney Gift card is usable in the gift shops onboard. You can't use them for things like smoothies, however.

As Shmoo said, a KTTW card either has charging or does not. There is no way to place a limit on the account.

Do be aware that the tips for the child and any excursions you book for them will show up on their account. Early on, my daughter was checking her account VERY carefully (I had given her an amount that she could spend during the cruise and she was determined not to exceed it). She was quite upset when she saw a couple of large amounts that she couldn't explain.

As Shmoo noted, the gift shops will take Disney Gift Cards. However, these are good only at GS and the gift shops. THey can't be used in other locations around the ship.

Spending without me--not at age 10.

"Roaming" the ship? Depends on your definition. Mine was about 9 the first time I allowed her to sign out of the Lab, but it was with restrictions from me. She also had cruised the Magic at least 3 times previously. First, it was done due to a problem with the Lab under the old rules. No point in details as the system has totally changed. But in order to avoid the issue, I allowed her to sign herself out with the restriction that she was either in the Lab or in our cabin. The only "roaming" was walking between the two. The next cruise, she was allowed to go to the cabin and leave me a note as to where she would be and who she was with if anyone. She had no charging, so spending was not an issue.

The Edge is for kids 11-14, but to participate they MUST have sign out permission. Yes, there is a difference between 10 and 11, but not too much! And, as Techie pointed out, each kid and each parent is different.

Thanks everyone - great info! I suspected there wouldn't be a way. Didn't know about gift cards being able to be used - will probably go this route. Thanks again.

Be sure they are Disney gift cards. Disney STORE gift cards cannot be used on the ships.