Alaska DIY Land Trip - Help!

Schti

Hello Alaska veterans! We're finally making the trip we talked about doing for 10 years. I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction by sharing your experience and knowledge. I'm not afraid of research ... in fact like it .... but I'm really not sure where to start on the land portion that we want to do in connection with the cruise.

We are four 60 somethings coming from the East Coast who will be sailing southbound from Seward to Vancouver on 6/23/17 - 6/30/17 on the Radiance (Royal). We want to put together our own DIY land trip on both ends of the cruise. We have 4-5 nights to spend pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise. We're interested more in sight seeing than action/adventure (i.e. kayaking, fishing, etc.)

We know for sure we want to spend 2 nights in Denali and have to spend 1 in Anchorage (night before we sail). That leaves 1-2 other overnights. It looks like a lot of cruise packages do an overnight in Talkeetna. Should we stick with that? Are there other locations that make sense to do overnight?

Transportation --- Do we fly into Fairbanks and drive to Anchorage or start in Anchorage, drive to Denali and return to Anchorage? Should train travel be part of it? Can we take a train or bus from Anchorage to Seward to get the ship?

What to see pre-cruise --- If we fly to Fairbanks, what are some suggested stops/sights to see/things to do while we are in Fairbanks and enroute to Denali? In Denali? From Denali to Anchorage? In Seward? Tours and tour companies we should look into? We're told you can pay a Ranger to do guided tours for you. Anyone done this? What's the process?

What to see/do and where to eat in Fairbanks, Anchorage, Seward and Vancouver.

Vancouver -- 3 days and 2 nights ... suggestions? We do not want to go to Seattle.

Whatever you can tell us or share in terms of references (website, book, etc.) we'd really appreciate.

Thanks!

Edited by Schti

Hello Alaska veterans! We're finally making the trip we talked about doing for 10 years. I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction by sharing your experience and knowledge. I'm not afraid of research ... in fact like it .... but I'm really not sure where to start on the land portion that we want to do in connection with the cruise.

We are four 60 somethings coming from the East Coast who will be sailing southbound from Seward to Vancouver on 6/23/17 - 6/30/17 on the Radiance (Royal). We want to put together our own DIY land trip on both ends of the cruise. We have 4-5 nights to spend pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise. We're interested more in sight seeing than action/adventure (i.e. kayaking, fishing, etc.)

We know for sure we want to spend 2 nights in Denali and have to spend 1 in Anchorage (night before we sail). That leaves 1-2 other overnights. It looks like a lot of cruise packages do an overnight in Talkeetna. Should we stick with that? Are there other locations that make sense to do overnight?

Transportation --- Do we fly into Fairbanks and drive to Anchorage or start in Anchorage, drive to Denali and return to Anchorage? Should train travel be part of it? Can we take a train or bus from Anchorage to Seward to get the ship?

What to see pre-cruise --- If we fly to Fairbanks, what are some suggested stops/sights to see/things to do while we are in Fairbanks and enroute to Denali? In Denali? From Denali to Anchorage? In Seward? Tours and tour companies we should look into? We're told you can pay a Ranger to do guided tours for you. Anyone done this? What's the process?

Vancouver -- 3 days and 2 nights ... suggestions? We do not want to go to Seattle.

Whatever you can tell us or share in terms of references (website, book, etc.) we'd really appreciate.

Thanks!

We flew into Fairbanks from Florida. We spent two nights there and, if I had to do it over again, would like to spend more time in Fairbanks. There is a lot to do. We did the Riverboat Discovery (and an ATV tour, which it doesn't sound like you would be interested in). We went with another couple and they spent an afternoon driving to North Pole and going to a reindeer farm. Our hotel was connected to Pioneer Park. We found it very late in our stay and didn't get the opportunity to visit it for very long. I would definitely like to spend some time there.

We took the train from Fairbanks to Denali and from Anchorage to Seward. The train is a MUST as far as I'm concerned. We spent two nights in Denali and did the Kantishna Experience tour into the park. It was long but we saw a lot of wildlife.

We took a bus to get down to Anchorage as we were only staying there one night and wanted a little time to see a few things. The train from Denali gets to Anchorage in the evening.

The next morning we took the train to Seward and immediately went on the Kenai Fjords National Park tour. Saw many whales and the glacier was beautiful. We spent a night in Seward and embarked on the ship the next day but that could be a night to skip. You could still do the tour and make it to the ship (although.....)

Have fun!

We are planning the same trip 2 weeks before yours. You asked about transportation, here's what I found. It's slightly cheaper to fly into Anchorage than it is to Fairbanks. A round trip rental (Anchorage - Anchorage) is usually cheaper than a one way rental (Fairbanks - Anchorage). However, there is only one road from Fairbanks to Anchorage. If you rent round trip, you'll travel the same road twice, not a great usage of time in my opinion. By driving one way, we'll be able to spend more time at each location we stop at. We are 4 couples and we have rented 2 Dodge Caravans from Hertz in Fairbanks. We will drive one way and actually drop the vans off in Seward. There is $125 fee to drop the vehicle off in Seward as opposed to Anchorage BUT, the train ride from Anchorage to Seward is approximately $50/person so with 4 people in each van, it will cost us less to drive the car than it would to ride the train. It also lets us go by our schedule, not the train's.

Seward to Vancouver on 6/23/17 - 6/30/17 on the Radiance (Royal).

Thoughts....

• have you decided which Vancouver hotel yet? Book early for lower rates as this is a very popular long weekend. Look to hotels away from the cruise terminal for savings.
  • you will be in town Vancouver for July 1st.... this needs some additional planning. There will be a 20 minute evening fireworks show on the West side of the cruise terminal on July 1st. The Olympic cauldron is turn on the morning to the 10pm fireworks show for photos. Traffic is very heavy this day around the cruise terminal. I recommend going to Grouse and Capilano on this day to get out of the downtown core.

Looking to booking.com in USD for 2 nights with availability

• $298 Days Inn Vancouver Downtown is closest to the cruise terminal and July 1st action. Check reviews if this budget facility is suitable for your guests.
  • $315 Century Plaza
  • $350 Rosedale (suites!)
  • $358 Blue Horizon (popular for budget travelers on this forum)
  • $374 empire landmark
  • $422 Holiday Inn Vancouver downtown
  • $430 Residence Inn Marriot
  • $470 Delta Vancouver Suites (close to cruise terminal with suites)
  • $508 Carmana Plaza
  • $533 Westin Grand
  • $552 Sutton Place
  • $557 Georgian Court
  • $565 Hyatt Regency
  • $575 Auberge (just 2 blocks from cruise terminal)
  • $575 Grande Residence Sutton Place
  • $612 Hampton Inn (popular with Hilton points)
  • $627 Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
  • $658 Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
  • $693 Fairmont Waterfront (across from cruise terminal)
  • $731 Pan Pacific (above cruise terminal)

My fav budget Richmond Airport hotel with a subway across the street

$358 Radisson

I'm seeing limited rooms at these prices for this long weekend.

Some itinerary ideas....

• June 30 » check into hotel, drop luggage and hop on service for Stanley Park, Granville Island and Gastown
  • July 1st » get out of downtown to check out Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse mountain.
  • July 2nd » What time is your flight? There's lots to do as it's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined! For a red eye flight... you might even try to check out Whistler or Victoria as a day trip. Are you sure you don't want to extend your stay for a week?

[YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]EvH_ROLyUZQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]Gcyt8Xdvsgs[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Just a thought regarding renting a car versus train or bus.........

Alaska has amazing natural beauty, superb opportunities for wildlife viewing, and, for many travelers, is a "once in a lifetime" or "bucket list" trip.

Renting a car will give you the opportunity to stop when you see that amazing view or glimpse a moose with its calf. A train or bus can't stop for those special moments. Buy an inexpensive cooler chest and pack picnic food for your drive. Don't limit yourself to the tour bus oriented roadside cafes.

Consider a B & B near Denali to get a more local experience. We have stayed in modern cabins near Healy, very near the main highway. If you're interested in fishing or special sightseeing your B & B hosts will be a good source of info.

Just a thought regarding renting a car versus train or bus.........

Alaska has amazing natural beauty, superb opportunities for wildlife viewing, and, for many travelers, is a "once in a lifetime" or "bucket list" trip.

Renting a car will give you the opportunity to stop when you see that amazing view or glimpse a moose with its calf. A train or bus can't stop for those special moments. Buy an inexpensive cooler chest and pack picnic food for your drive. Don't limit yourself to the tour bus oriented roadside cafes.

Consider a B & B near Denali to get a more local experience. We have stayed in modern cabins near Healy, very near the main highway. If you're interested in fishing or special sightseeing your B & B hosts will be a good source of info.

Do you have a recommendation for a B & B near Denali?

Do you have a recommendation for a B & B near Denali?

Here's a list of accommodations in the Denali area: http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

If it was me doing this trip: I would fly into Anchorage and rent a car. Drive to Denali and use the shuttle bus to get into the park: http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Talkeetna is a nice town, but if you aren't doing a McKinley flight trip, it's easy to skip.

If you want to include a train ride, the trip to Seward from Anchorage has amazing scenery.

You are wise to start your research and planning now. You'll get better prices and selection on cars/lodging if you reserve this yr for next summer. If you can add a day or 2 pre cruise, it will help your timing.

There is a comprehensive list of resources in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2308385&highlight=site

Many of the towns and the State listed in that thread will send you a free visitor guide!

When I planned Alaska road trips I utilized past trip reports found on http://www.tripadvisor.com, ( there are some DIY land trips posted on cruisecritic also. Look at STICKYs above).

Plus my trusty Milepost. The Milepost is a bible for road trips. For each hwy it provides the milepost number for lodging, gas stations, restaurants, sights, activities, parks, even popular places to spot wildlife. ie where we might see bears nr Valdez, or in Seward where to find a fishing wheel. I still use my 2007 guide ... towns and hwys don't change, just vendors. You can pick up old editions on amazon for under $10.

There are FREE ranger led activities/hikes in Denali and other parks (exit glacier in Seward, Gold Rush NP in Skagway) . The Denali web site has info on ranger activities ( free sled dog demo) under THINGS TO DO:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/siteindex.htm

and the park newletter: http://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/upload/Alpenglow2015_INTERACTIVE.pdf

As for talkeetna, its a popular destination for flightseeing over Denali. We were weathered out twice so we moved on. Some think it's a quirky fun town; didn't do anything for me. It's a 30 minute detour off the hwy if you want to visit. You can overnight there, but this is where your research will pay off .... do you want to overnight in Talkeetna? or visit Matanuska Glacier and Independence Mine? or spend an extra day exploring the Turnagain Arm just south of Anchorage to visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Resort tram, Portage Lake, Byron Glacier? or an extra day in Seward?

Hope this helps. Have fun with your research and planning!

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks for the information so far. So, so helpful, especially the links. We had not even thought about 6/30 being a Holiday weekend in Vancouver! What a great heads up.

I am going to spend serious time this weekend getting started especially the Vancouver piece. In the meantime, please keep your information, ideas and suggestions coming!

Donna

We flew into Fairbanks from Florida. We spent two nights there and, if I had to do it over again, would like to spend more time in Fairbanks. There is a lot to do. We did the Riverboat Discovery (and an ATV tour, which it doesn't sound like you would be interested in). We went with another couple and they spent an afternoon driving to North Pole and going to a reindeer farm. Our hotel was connected to Pioneer Park. We found it very late in our stay and didn't get the opportunity to visit it for very long. I would definitely like to spend some time there.

We took the train from Fairbanks to Denali and from Anchorage to Seward. The train is a MUST as far as I'm concerned. We spent two nights in Denali and did the Kantishna Experience tour into the park. It was long but we saw a lot of wildlife.

We took a bus to get down to Anchorage as we were only staying there one night and wanted a little time to see a few things. The train from Denali gets to Anchorage in the evening.

The next morning we took the train to Seward and immediately went on the Kenai Fjords National Park tour. Saw many whales and the glacier was beautiful. We spent a night in Seward and embarked on the ship the next day but that could be a night to skip. You could still do the tour and make it to the ship (although.....)

Have fun!

Your info gave me great ideas. A couple of questions. If we want to go to the North Pole from Anchorage is renting a car and driving our best option? How long was the bus ride? Does it run frequently? Thanks! !

We are planning the same trip 2 weeks before yours. You asked about transportation, here's what I found. It's slightly cheaper to fly into Anchorage than it is to Fairbanks. A round trip rental (Anchorage - Anchorage) is usually cheaper than a one way rental (Fairbanks - Anchorage). However, there is only one road from Fairbanks to Anchorage. If you rent round trip, you'll travel the same road twice, not a great usage of time in my opinion. By driving one way, we'll be able to spend more time at each location we stop at. We are 4 couples and we have rented 2 Dodge Caravans from Hertz in Fairbanks. We will drive one way and actually drop the vans off in Seward. There is $125 fee to drop the vehicle off in Seward as opposed to Anchorage BUT, the train ride from Anchorage to Seward is approximately $50/person so with 4 people in each van, it will cost us less to drive the car than it would to ride the train. It also lets us go by our schedule, not the train's.

Good points to consider. I have a car rental question. If we rent in Fairbanks is our only option to drop it off in Anchorage? No where else along the way i.e. Denali?

We are leaning towards flying into Fairbanks and evaluating whether or not to do 2 nights before we head to Denali. We're interested in the Riverboat Discovery Tour on the Chena River and seeing the North Pole. Is it practical to do both in 1 day and then drive to Denali thereby only needing 1 night in Fairbanks? If not, what else do you suggest doing? We're not interested in visiting the dog sled camps, flightseeing or doing an ATV tour. While we have some interest in Alaskaland Pioneer Park I don't know that we think it's worth staying an extra overnight in Fairbanks to fo it. Those of you who have been to Fairbanks, what do you think?

We are leaning towards flying into Fairbanks and evaluating whether or not to do 2 nights before we head to Denali. We're interested in the Riverboat Discovery Tour on the Chena River and seeing the North Pole. Is it practical to do both in 1 day and then drive to Denali thereby only needing 1 night in Fairbanks? If not, what else do you suggest doing? We're not interested in visiting the dog sled camps, flightseeing or doing an ATV tour. While we have some interest in Alaskaland Pioneer Park I don't know that we think it's worth staying an extra overnight in Fairbanks to fo it. Those of you who have been to Fairbanks, what do you think?

I can't say for sure how long it takes to get to the Denali area by car because we took the train but a couple of comments: 1) There is really only one road that goes between Fairbanks, Denali and Anchorage and it is often undergoing road construction. That could delay you. I have heard that some people have been stopped upwards of an hour or so. 2) I believe the time to get from Fairbanks to North Pole (not THE North Pole) is about 45 minutes. With the Riverboat Discovery, that would be a good full day.

If you are comfortable driving down to Denali at night, then that would save you some daylight hours for the park. Although, if you are going in June, there will likely be light for almost 20 hours of the day!

Edited by chawkjewel

Good points to consider. I have a car rental question. If we rent in Fairbanks is our only option to drop it off in Anchorage? No where else along the way i.e. Denali?

No car rental drop offs between Fairbanks and Anchorage. Avis has an office in Whittier and Hertz has an office in Seward.

We did a loop out of Vancouver back in 2014 and Vancouver's best kept secret hotel is Times Squares Suites (http://www.timessquaresuites.com/). We spent 2 nights there. It is MUCH cheaper than chain hotels, incredibly clean, well located and just a great hotel.

I HIGHLY recommend it!!!

The only drawback is no shuttle to either airport or cruiseport, but the savings will far outweigh the taxi fare.

North Pole is the santa claus town about a 15 minute drive from Fairbanks.

Denali is about a 2 1/2 hr drive.

I don't why you couldn't do the Riverboat, North Pole and drive to Denali in one day, plus a few other things as well.... the Pipeline Exhibit or the Morris Thompson Cultural Center for a photo under the antler arch. Might as well make the most of your time there and take advantage of the long daylight hours.

http://www.morristhompsoncenter.org/

Other ideas in this link:

http://www.alaska.org/destination/fairbanks

As you do your research also look at the cost of a one-day rental vs RT from Anchorage. Later this summer Enterprise in Anchorage will offer a RT for $200 a week. That's about the same price as the drop off fee for a one way rental! Not that I want to dissuade you from visiting Fairbanks, but there's a cost. Another reason to make your precruise DIY 6-7 days !

Since your ship leaves from Seward you could take the train from Anc to Seward .... the most scenic leg of the Alaska Railroad.

I can't say for sure how long it takes to get to the Denali area by car because we took the train but a couple of comments: 1) There is really only one road that goes between Fairbanks, Denali and Anchorage and it is often undergoing road construction. That could delay you. I have heard that some people have been stopped upwards of an hour or so. 2) I believe the time to get from Fairbanks to North Pole (not THE North Pole) is about 45 minutes. With the Riverboat Discovery, that would be a good full day.

If you are comfortable driving down to Denali at night, then that would save you some daylight hours for the park. Although, if you are going in June, there will likely be light for almost 20 hours of the day!

These issues with the road do scare me off from renting a bit. Thanks for your input.

We did a loop out of Vancouver back in 2014 and Vancouver's best kept secret hotel is Times Squares Suites (http://www.timessquaresuites.com/). We spent 2 nights there. It is MUCH cheaper than chain hotels, incredibly clean, well located and just a great hotel.

I HIGHLY recommend it!!!

The only drawback is no shuttle to either airport or cruiseport, but the savings will far outweigh the taxi fare.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

North Pole is the santa claus town about a 15 minute drive from Fairbanks.

Denali is about a 2 1/2 hr drive.

I don't why you couldn't do the Riverboat, North Pole and drive to Denali in one day, plus a few other things as well.... the Pipeline Exhibit or the Morris Thompson Cultural Center for a photo under the antler arch. Might as well make the most of your time there and take advantage of the long daylight hours.

http://www.morristhompsoncenter.org/

Other ideas in this link:

http://www.alaska.org/destination/fairbanks

As you do your research also look at the cost of a one-day rental vs RT from Anchorage. Later this summer Enterprise in Anchorage will offer a RT for $200 a week. That's about the same price as the drop off fee for a one way rental! Not that I want to dissuade you from visiting Fairbanks, but there's a cost. Another reason to make your precruise DIY 6-7 days !

Since your ship leaves from Seward you could take the train from Anc to Seward .... the most scenic leg of the Alaska Railroad.

I like how you think though Ray really wants to see Fairbanks so that's probably how we're going to go. I'm glad to know there's plenty for us to do to spend a full day in Fairbanks. Maybe we can do just a 1 day car rental in Fairbanks and then take the train to Denali.

Where can I find the schedule to know what time the train leaves Fairbanks for Denali?

We do plan to take the train from Anchorage to Seward and in fact are thinking we'll spend 2 nights in Seward as there is a lot of stuff that interests us there.

Donna

I like how you think though Ray really wants to see Fairbanks so that's probably how we're going to go. I'm glad to know there's plenty for us to do to spend a full day in Fairbanks. Maybe we can do just a 1 day car rental in Fairbanks and then take the train to Denali.

Where can I find the schedule to know what time the train leaves Fairbanks for Denali?

We do plan to take the train from Anchorage to Seward and in fact are thinking we'll spend 2 nights in Seward as there is a lot of stuff that interests us there.

Donna

try looking here: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train

Donna

The train schedule can be found on Alaskarailroad.com.

If you choose to go with a daily rental car in Fairbanks, you can take the train or bus to Denali, AND onto Anchorage and Seward for that matter. I posted a link earlier for you that has planning web sites, (look specifically for the TripAdvisor site which also includes transportation info).

The 2 biggest drawbacks to that plan are:

- w/o a car you won't have the ability to make stops at other points of interest between Fairbanks and Anchorage.

- in Denali your lodging options will be limited to places that offer a shuttle to from the train/bus depot, and you will need to arrange a ride to the park entrance. This can impact the time frame for your shuttle trip thru the park.

If you choose to go with a daily rental car in Fairbanks, you can take the train or bus to Denali, AND onto Anchorage and Seward for that matter. I posted a link earlier for you that has planning web sites, (look specifically for the TripAdvisor site which also includes transportation info).

The 2 biggest drawbacks to that plan are:

- w/o a car you won't have the ability to make stops at other points of interest between Fairbanks and Anchorage.

- in Denali your lodging options will be limited to places that offer a shuttle to from the train/bus depot, and you will need to arrange a ride to the park entrance. This can impact the time frame for your shuttle trip thru the park.

Thanks! You are really well versed in all things Alaska. I've seen postings on other Alaska boards from you and picked up a lot of information.

So -- if we plan to spend 2-3 nights in Denali without a car, what transportation options would you recommend for getting around?