Snorkeling - don't laugh!

beason641

So, I really really really want to go snorkeling while we're in Bermuda at the beginning of June. I have the gear from when I took a scuba class in college (as my required gym course!) but have never used it beyond a pool because I live in Ohio and never traveled. Since that time as well, I developed a lot of severe anxiety, which is mostly treated, so I'm finally feeling confident enough to try something new.

I'm not really really comfortable in the water, worrying about what I'm going to step on or getting bitten or being pulled away in a riptide or whatever, which is part of why I'm wanting to go snorkeling - because it's floating and I can see all the things that might be coming at me lol. But in thinking about the whole process, I've realized: I am terrified of floating out to sea!

The last time I was in the ocean was in Honduras, in a little bay off a private island on a cruise excursion, and there were no waves at ALL, plus a net at the back part of the area, so I didn't even think of floating away. But obviously that won't be the case in Bermuda. And I float easily and can get hyperfocused on looking at things, and could see myself not remembering to look up for ages, only to find myself out in the middle of the ocean, or getting caught in a riptide and pulled out to sea, etc.

I logically know this is ridiculous, but anxiety knows no logic.

Those of you who have snorkeled, or even swam at Bermuda's beaches, or you know, those of you who are sane: can you reassure me here, or offer tips, or basically just remind me that I'm crazy and there's no way I'll float away never to be seen again?

Rest assured, it would be very difficult to float away. I know the best snorkeling is in St. George at Tobacco Bay. There are large rock formations and the fish are plentiful. You can put your feet down and touch bottom around most of the rock formations. The bottom is all really nice sand. I would also suggest some water shoes. That way you are standing directly on the bottom. At some of the smaller beaches all the south shore near Horseshoe Bay, people have report doing some snorkeling too but Tobacco Bay is always said to be the best. Just use your head and always swim with a buddy and the two of you can watch out for each other. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Rest assured, it would be very difficult to float away. I know the best snorkeling is in St. George at Tobacco Bay. There are large rock formations and the fish are plentiful. You can put your feet down and touch bottom around most of the rock formations. The bottom is all really nice sand. I would also suggest some water shoes. That way you are standing directly on the bottom. At some of the smaller beaches all the south shore near Horseshoe Bay, people have report doing some snorkeling too but Tobacco Bay is always said to be the best. Just use your head and always swim with a buddy and the two of you can watch out for each other. Hope you enjoy your trip.

No, Tobacco Bay is not the best. Off of a boat is better and off of a beach Church Bay is better. But it is the best for the other person or any novice since it is calm and shallow.

Edited by Charles4515

So, I really really really want to go snorkeling while we're in Bermuda at the beginning of June. I have the gear from when I took a scuba class in college (as my required gym course!) but have never used it beyond a pool because I live in Ohio and never traveled. Since that time as well, I developed a lot of severe anxiety, which is mostly treated, so I'm finally feeling confident enough to try something new.

I'm not really really comfortable in the water, worrying about what I'm going to step on or getting bitten or being pulled away in a riptide or whatever, which is part of why I'm wanting to go snorkeling - because it's floating and I can see all the things that might be coming at me lol. But in thinking about the whole process, I've realized: I am terrified of floating out to sea!

The last time I was in the ocean was in Honduras, in a little bay off a private island on a cruise excursion, and there were no waves at ALL, plus a net at the back part of the area, so I didn't even think of floating away. But obviously that won't be the case in Bermuda. And I float easily and can get hyperfocused on looking at things, and could see myself not remembering to look up for ages, only to find myself out in the middle of the ocean, or getting caught in a riptide and pulled out to sea, etc.

Those of you who have snorkeled, or even swam at Bermuda's beaches, or you know, those of you who are sane: can you reassure me here, or offer tips, or basically just remind me that I'm crazy and there's no way I'll float away never to be seen again?

Tobacco Bay would be perfect for you if you stay inside the bay, as it is enclosed, not very wavy, shallow, and no current inside the Bay. You won't float out to sea there.

We're considering doing an excursion through Celebrity, as we've got a lot of OBC to use. Anyone have recommendations on any of these?

Bermuda Triangle Shipwreck Snorkel

Catamaran Coral Reef Snorkel

Devil's Isle Cruise Beach Snorkel

I have not done any of the three but going by the descriptions alone I would gravitate to Catamaran Coral Reef snorkel. That is only because I have not found shipwreck snorkels to be to my taste and beach snorkels tend toward average. The very best snorkeling excursions I have done have been going out on a boat to a coral reef. However given the concerns you related in your opening post the Devil Island beach snorkel might be your best choice.

Edited by Charles4515

I have not done any of the three but going by the descriptions alone I would gravitate to Catamaran Coral Reef snorkel. That is only because I have not found shipwreck snorkels to be to my taste and beach snorkels tend toward average. The very best snorkeling excursions I have done have been going out on a boat to a coral reef. However given the concerns you related in your opening post the Devil Island beach snorkel might be your best choice.

I think we are going to do the Bermuda Hidden Gems tour, which has a beach snorkeling component (if I'm reading the description correctly). Since we're doing that the first day, I think we might do the Catamaran snorkel on the second or third day assuming we enjoy it the first day. That way I've had a chance to try it, see how it feels, and be okay with trying it at a reef. Plus for some reason the idea of snorkeling around a boat seems less stressful to me than a beach...maybe because the boat will notice if I disappear? Hahaha.

I think we are going to do the Bermuda Hidden Gems tour, which has a beach snorkeling component (if I'm reading the description correctly). Since we're doing that the first day, I think we might do the Catamaran snorkel on the second or third day assuming we enjoy it the first day. That way I've had a chance to try it, see how it feels, and be okay with trying it at a reef. Plus for some reason the idea of snorkeling around a boat seems less stressful to me than a beach...maybe because the boat will notice if I disappear? Hahaha.

You found Bermuda Hidden Gems listed as a Celebrity Shore Excursion? It is not a listed excursion on my Summit sailing. I have $350 of onboard credit so I was thinking about doing the Catamaran Snorkel the last day if I have credit left. I don't see Hidden Gems any date.

You found Bermuda Hidden Gems listed as a Celebrity Shore Excursion? It is not a listed excursion on my Summit sailing. I have $350 of onboard credit so I was thinking about doing the Catamaran Snorkel the last day if I have credit left. I don't see Hidden Gems any date.

Oh, sorry, I was being confusing. I think we separately decided we're going to do the Bermuda Hidden Gems tour, so for ANOTHER excursion on another day, we'll likely pick the Celebrity-offered Catamaran excursion.

Not ridiculous at all. From about 1.00 in this shows us snorkelling at Tobacco Bay, and how sheltered it is. There were plenty of colourful fish to see. I hope you really enjoy your snorkelling. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]D3ZnJmToL5c[/YOUTUBE]

The Catamaran Coral Reef probably will have more impressive under water viewing but it is in more open water than Devil's Isle. Devil's Isle snorkel is okay, will not compare to Caribbean snorkels. I still think with your concerns Tobacco Bay will offer the best under water views at your comfort level.

We're considering doing an excursion through Celebrity, as we've got a lot of OBC to use. Anyone have recommendations on any of these?

Bermuda Triangle Shipwreck Snorkel

Catamaran Coral Reef Snorkel

Devil's Isle Cruise Beach Snorkel

Have booked the Bermuda Triangle one twice (2 different cruises) and both times the trip was changed due to rough water conditions. Both times they offered a substitute location or a refund. The 1st time we did the substitute location which was okay but nothing terrific. The 2nd time we took the refund.

water was too rough that day....

I am not a swimmer, so I was content to putter around the glass beach that you can walk to from the dockyard....

Saw pretty fish and coral...

This year, I see Cooper's Island is open and the good snorkeling might be there ...gonna check it out for sure!

Bernadette

If you want to see fish up close with your snorkel gear it's easy in Bermuda. Bring cereal from the buffet. At Horseshoe Bay there is a cove to the right. Go by the rocks and throw out the cereal you will be surrounded by fish. Also Snorkel Park is a good place on your last day if you don't want to wander far from ship. The fish literally will be eating the cereal from you hands.