hotel post cruise

wants2cruise2

Honolulu,

If you had to choose from these three,

Hyatt Regency,

Hilton Hawaiian Village, or

Illikii

which would you pick for a 2 night post cruise stay?

background info, probably the only time I'll get to Hawaii,

really want peaceful and relaxing, a pool and/or beach, and access to tour to see Pearl Harbor. A bit of exploring downtown. Moderate prices for room and meals.

any info is appreciated.

None of those hotels (don't know anything about Illikii) are in downtown Honolulu. They are in Waikiki. There is a significant difference. Waikiki is beaches, resorts, nightlife, etc. We love Waikiki, but not because it is considered quiet and relaxing. I guess you could pull up a pool lounge for a number of hours and people watch while working on your tan...that could be considered relaxing.

Downtown is office buildings, no beaches.

Access to Pearl Harbor is the same from all over Waikiki. About 50 or 70 minutes by bus, depending on bus route and time of day. Figure 30 minutes by car, sometimes a little less or more if at peak traffic.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I like Hilton Hawaiian Village.

I love the beach and the show that they have at night and the ponds and the spaciousness of the property.

They have several towers with rooms at different price points.

And it brings back lovely memories for myself, my wife and our children.

Keith

Honolulu,

Hyatt Regency,

Illikii

The Hyatt is nearer "central" Waikiki. The HHV and the Ilikai are at the Ala Moana end of Waikiki. I've stayed at the Hyatt and HHV and both are OK - the Hilton is right on the beach, while the Hyatt is across a road.

If I was choosing from these three - I'd likely choose HHV. (But then we'd book the Sheraton Waikiki - our personal fav).

Thank you all for your input.

I've learned there are as many different favorites as there are hotels in Waikiki.

How on earth does someone pick? I keep hoping someone, a friend, my travel agent, someone here on CC, will say something that makes me go BAM! That's the one for us.

Thanks

We've only stayed at the Ala Moana end of Waikiki twice - it's a bit too far from the central section of Waikiki for us. We are not usually "pool" people, but the Infinity pool at the Sheraton Waikiki is hard to beat:

index_clip_image017.jpg

Plus - you can walk out of the Sheraton and be right in Waikiki. The walk to were the action is in Waikiki from the Hilton Hawaiian Village sometimes keeps us from just "wandering around". Others prefer the location of HHV - it's a quieter section of the beach.

Honolulu,

Hyatt Regency,

Illikii

really want peaceful and relaxing, a pool and/or beach, and access to tour to see Pearl Harbor. A bit of exploring downtown. Moderate prices for room and meals.

any info is appreciated.

At the Hilton Hawaiian Village it matters entirely which of the SEVEN towers you are in.

If you are not being quoted the Ali'i Tower (a boutique "hotel" within the hotel) or the Rainbow Tower, stay at the Hyatt Regency.

The HHV is the 17th or 18th largest hotel in the world and getting lounge chairs by the pool can be difficult, plus there is construction going on for finishing the EIGHTH tower and starting the NINTH.

The Hyatt Regency is directly across from the beach and in one of the nicest sections of Kuhio Beach. It is also a more central area of Waikiki.

The HHV is technically on the beach, but only two of the towers are on it, the other five current ones are not.

The restaurants are not good, there isn't a single highly rated restaurant on the property and they are expensive and crowded.

The Marriott Waikiki would be a nice alternative and I'd price out the Royal Hawaiian too. The Royal is such a nice hotel I'd rather have a Royal Grove or Garden View room than Ocean View at most of the HHV towers (except Ali'i and Rainbow).

Thank you all for your input.

I've learned there are as many different favorites as there are hotels in Waikiki.

How on earth does someone pick? I keep hoping someone, a friend, my travel agent, someone here on CC, will say something that makes me go BAM! That's the one for us.

Thanks

I would look at the two Outrigger hotels to start, the Outrigger Waikiki Beach (in the middle of Waikiki Beach) and the Outrigger Waikiki, next door to Halekulani.

The only hotels you mentioned are the major U.S. chains. Outrigger is a local chain and wonderful and a good value for being on the beach.

Then I would also price out the Royal Hawaiian. Halekulani is the nicest hotel on the beach, but also pretty expensive, so the Royal Hawaiian is the next nicest and you can sometimes find good bargains there. It is at least worth checking.

I'd also price out the Moana Surfrider. It was the first major hotel on Oahu and built by the Matson Steamship Company for cruisers back in the day when people would come to Oahu for a month or several months.

It would also help to know your budget so we don't waste your time with hotels out of your range. Just know that if you are getting a low rate at the HHV, it is because it is in of the towers you don't want to stay in.

Ilikai was a nice hotel 40 years ago, but not any more. it isn't even a single hotel anymore, it is a mish mash of hotel rooms and condos. If you wanted to stay for ten days, a condo there would be fine, but not as a hotel.

We've only stayed at the Ala Moana end of Waikiki twice - it's a bit too far from the central section of Waikiki for us. We are not usually "pool" people, but the Infinity pool at the Sheraton Waikiki is hard to beat:

index_clip_image017.jpg.

If the infinity pool at the Sheraton actually looked like that, it would be a quarter way decent, but what is missing from the picture is the 300 people from some of the 1,800 rooms in the oversized, soulless hunk of concrete that is the Sheraton.

They have maybe 30 lounge chairs at the infinity pool for a hotel with a capacity of well over 4,000. Couple that with slow elevators, a gaudy interior and indifferent service and I would not take a free room at it.

Honolulu,

Hyatt Regency,

Illikii

any info is appreciated.

I've been to all three and would choose the HHV. It's the most full functioning resort, on the beach, and has their operation down. The Hyatt is nice but less resorty and across the street from the beach. The Illilikii is not well located and feels old.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We stayed at the HHV a couple years ago pre and post cruise on POA. It was great. Pool and beach within walking distance. It was beautiful. We arrived before check in time and the were kind enough to store our bags while we walked around. They also called my cell phone when our room was ready. Way before the expected check in time. I would definitely stay there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Nurse kris

If the infinity pool at the Sheraton actually looked like that, it would be a quarter way decent, but what is missing from the picture is the 300 people from some of the 1,800 rooms in the oversized, soulless hunk of concrete that is the Sheraton.

They have maybe 30 lounge chairs at the infinity pool for a hotel with a capacity of well over 4,000. Couple that with slow elevators, a gaudy interior and indifferent service and I would not take a free room at it.

Haha - you're probably right, but it's still an awesome pool. We always get great room upgrades there and actually usually stay free (on CC points).

We've stayed a quite a few Waikiki hotels and it's still our fav...