Camera, what is good?

Bimmie Girl

reading back through my previous post I realize there re spelling errors and typos...I said make sure you have a good zoom range, of course I meant zoom. Also I mention the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ3000, it is the 300, not 3000. Looks like later posts mention the FZ300 so hopefully you figured that out

When I first got into photography over 30 years ago I had a Nikon SLR, then a Canon SLR. Every since I started using small point and shoots for convenience I discovered the Panasonic Lumix brand. Fantastic cameras. Now I have the Sony Mirrorless A6000 and the Sony Nex 6, both with interchangeable lenses. But I still have a small waterproof Lumix for snorkeling and when I want a tiny camera. I do not think the OP needs a camera as advanced as the A6000 or a DSLR. Thought I love them, I think for an inexperienced photographer they are too much.

I think one of the Panasonic Lumix's I mentioned as well as those mentioned by others would be best, followed by some of the Sonys mentioned. Be sure to read reviews on Amazon before buying and also go to a camera store or Best Buy to HOLD the camera because the feel is important too. Happy shopping!

Lumix DMC FZ3000,

I enjoy photography - I am an enthusiastic photographer when I travel. I have found that B & H Photo (google for their website) has been the best at providing specific information for camera comparisons as I study various models prior to purchase. As a cross-reference I will use DP Review (also google for their website) which has extremely in-depth reviews on most currently popular models.

The best camera is one you find comfortable to use and one you have learned to use. I like to minimize weight, but there are times I will tote a larger camera and multiple zoom lenses. Other times I will take a high quality point and shoot that fits into my pocket. It's particularly handy on a rainy day to have a "pocket sized" camera that is easy to put away out of the rain. My current pocket camera takes good photos, even printed to 13 X 19 and framed.

Last October we went to the Blue Ridge/Smoky Mountain area for the fall leaves, elk, waterfalls and I purchased a Sony HX400v and it was perfect! Great size, not too big, not too heavy. Incredible 100x zoom....1080p HD video. Can't wait until we can take it to Alaska! Very reasonable price by the way....$460.

Last October we went to the Blue Ridge/Smoky Mountain area for the fall leaves, elk, waterfalls and I purchased a Sony HX400v and it was perfect! Great size, not too big, not too heavy. Incredible 100x zoom....1080p HD video. Can't wait until we can take it to Alaska! Very reasonable price by the way....$460.

It looks like 50x optical zoom. With digital 100x.

It looks like 50x optical zoom. With digital 100x.

It does have a 50x optical zoom, which is really good but the 100x digital zoom is what Sony calls a Clear Image Zoom where the processor compares adjacent pixels and matches it to create super clear images. Pretty much doubles your optical zoom.....I was very impressed. You can add lens to it also like a UV lens.....

Again, lightweight, don't have to mess with changing out lenses, not too big and bulky.

I have a Canon 50x zoom, which is excellent for getting long shots when there's great light. However, its viewfinder is crummy (so using the LCD on bright, sunny days is extremely difficult) and its widest aperture isn't wide enough to allow good photos on darker days (or inside without flash).

So, my two suggestions when shopping for a good camera: (1) a great viewfinder and (2) an f-stop of 2.8 minimum.

After seeing excellent reviews on the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 camera (25 to 400 zoom), DH and I each bought one. I'm not suggesting anyone else buy this camera, but it is perfect for us. The FZ1000 is a large camera (it has a 1-inch sensor), it has loads of options we haven't even figured out yet, it shoots 4K video, and it is wifi enabled (I can use my cell phone as a remote control, yes).

Whatever camera you choose, be sure to practice, practice, practice before you go on cruise.

Bucky, a few years ago we went on an excursion with a guy who had a really expensive camera and an expensive lens. I asked him how he was shooting, and he told me that he was shooting everything on "P" mode because he wasn't sure he would be back to Alaska, and he wanted to make sure he got some good pictures. You will be fine using P or your camera's Intelligent Auto mode. Practice on those and see how you like your pictures.

The mode that takes the three exposures and combines them is usually called HDR, and it can also give you some really nice pictures.

Visit a local camera store or call B & H Photo to ask whether there is a way to buy a filter, or jury rig one, that will work with your camera and allow you to shoot through glass.

Teresa,

Forever and a day since digital cameras were put on a phone, my wife and I have always bought the phone with the best camera on it and have stuck with that.

We recently just bought a Nikon D3300 bundle from Costco. Here is what I learned from buying a good starter DSLR camera compared to using the phone camera (currently we both have note 5's)

Owning a good DSLR is a project. Its weight and size is enough that you need to be purposeful in its use. Pretty when you decide to take the camera with you its to take pictures. Its not for scuba diving, sky diving, mountain climbing, water skiing, surfing...etc. Its to take pictures. And if you do bring it with you, you have to plan for that.

You have to setup your shots, best to bring a tripod and extra lenses. Extra batteries and cards. Be patient. Out of 50 pictures Ill usually get one good one.

And I've also learned that the some of the best pics are after post production. This means learn to use a good photo software like photo shop.

The phone camera is native 16 megapixels (4920 x 3264, 14:11ar) and the Nikon is 24 megapixels (6000 x 4000 3:2ar). We don't really print a whole lot these days. Most stuff is on our laptops or phone of shared in social media. 95% of people out there look at screens (laptop, computer or phone) that are less then 1920x1080. Most website pics are smaller than 640x480. Even if you upload nice pics most of the time you are downscaling them to upload them.

Granted times are quickly changing but for now the 24mp resolution of the Nikon is overkill for us. It has the ability to take better pictures but you really have to know what you are doing to get them. Shutter speed, aperture, focusing... lots of stuff to think about.

The Nikon is a project. Consider it a hobby. Most of the time we see something we want to take a picture of and our phone is in our pocket and the Nikon's in the house. The phone is quicker and takes pretty good pics for what it is.

If you do get a good camera I do encourage you to learn how to use it. Take a class, learn some simple photo software and learn how to get the best out of it. If you are busy and don't have time for more "projects" seriously consider getting a good point and shoot for a camera.

Ill post pics from both phone and camera in a few....

-Sean

Possible dissenting opinion--but the best camera is the one that's easiest to use. I feel bad for people who spend their vacations working so hard to "capture" everything that they don't just sit back and enjoy the Wonder of It All.

I took lots of pictures with my "decent" point and shoot, but was more concerned with catching my kids and wife enjoying themselves. For $30 at Glacier Bay, I bought a flash drive from the National Park vendors that had a ton of professional landscape and scenic pictures, and didn't have to fuss over them. Easy way out, I know--but I've enjoyed the pictures and don't feel like I only saw Alaska through a lens. YMMV.

you do have a point!!! I think DH is wanting a hobby for when he retires next year also, that is why we are looking at spending so much money on one now.

I don't get my pics developed. They are mostly for me, digitally. I figure when I am old and can't travel, I will have these to remind me. I sometimes make photo books.

I agree, if you are not into this, just enjoy the scenery......

CC needs a thumbs up add on.............tons of great advice going on.