Connecting a Chromecast Device

cynalan

I'm not sure about a port being available on the TV but if you're planning on using the internet to stream something to it, you may be disappointed. The internet on the ship is typically very slow.

That would be nice. But not possible. Their FAQ's state that all of the connection ports are disabled (unless you're in a suite).

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2789/kw/tv

I read on the boards that the HDMI ports (and others) are disabled through the menu and that a universal remote could enable it.

I need to play with my Chromecast and see if I can use it if I have a PAN setup (Personal Area Network) with my travel router, or if it needs to communicate back to mother google.

I'm gonna try both in October!

That would be nice. But not possible. Their FAQ's state that all of the connection ports are disabled (unless you're in a suite).

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2789/kw/tv

As recently as last November I have been unplugging the HDMI cable for the interactive menu to plug in my iPad and watch movies, so they aren't disabled. But I didn't know they frowned upon that... :o

As recently as last November I have been unplugging the HDMI cable for the interactive menu to plug in my iPad and watch movies, so they aren't disabled. But I didn't know they frowned upon that... :o

Explain this setup please? I'm intrigued.

We have hooked up IPad DVD players and Xbox. We have always just brought along a universal remote to switch to the input. It doesn't seem cost effective for the cruise lines to buy TV's specifically for them with disabled HDMI ports so they just have remotes without the input button.

Hardest part can be getting to the port and/or looking up the right code for the TV.

I have done it many times in hotels and it's a lot easier as usually the input button on the TV is still active.

I just bought a chrome cast and have had an Apple TV for many years. I know the Apple TV wouldn't work because you would need the ships WiFi passcode. I am guessing Chrome Cast is the same. My son did set up his PAN a few years ago and I know he had issues getting it to work, but I am not that big of a geek to know what was the issue. It did work but just not great.

I need to play with my Chromecast and see if I can use it if I have a PAN setup (Personal Area Network) with my travel router, or if it needs to communicate back to mother google.

Where AppleTV streams from device (iPad, iPhone, etc) to the AppleTV to the TV, Chromecast does not work that way, for the most part. When you request somethng be cast, from YouTube, Google Play Movies, etc, the request is sent and then the Chromecast pulls it from the cloud, not your device (phone, tablet, etc). You can turn the device off that you initiated the cast from, and the Chromecast will still continue to stream. There are a few apps that can cast directly from the device to the Chromecast, but not sure that a PAN will suffice.

Just my two cents... I have both a Chromecast and FireTV, but for me, there is too much to do and fun to be had on the ship to be in the cabin streaming stuff..

Let us know if you are able to get it to work though...

I agree with reerun25. I can't imagine spending the money to go on a cruise(or other vacation) and then using that time in your cabin streaming your own movies as if you were at home.

I guess everyone travels differently!:confused: