I can't make up my mind.

mek

I have a hold on Regal Princess for the 14 night TA departing 9/10. We have sailed the Med many times and done an eastbound TA in April, but have never sailed this far north,(itinerary includes Norway, Scotland, and Ireland), so I have a few questions.

I would probably book an OV for this itinerary, but those aren't available on this ship, so it's an inside or a balcony for $400 more pp. I have a hold on an inside - not sure that a balcony will be worth the extra for this cruise.

How dicey can the weather be in this area of Europe in September - is it like Alaska or different?

Wondering about the weather in the North Atlantic in September - generally pretty cool/rainy or nice?

We had a balcony on our Eastbound TA and used it for most of the trip, but that was from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona, so much farther south and in the spring.

I would like to hear back from those of you who have done WB TA's in the fall - I realize the weather can't be predicted, but general comments would be appreciated.

Also any comments on Regal Princess' inside cabins would be helpful.

Please, no, "I can't live without a balcony" or "I would never sail in an inside" comments because that doesn't apply to us.

Edited by mek

I think it really depends on whether or not you want natural light in your stateroom...

While I have not done this cruise, I have done the Baltics, a BI, and three Alaska cruises-- always with a balcony- that we used very, very little. Even when the weather was at its most beautiful, it was still cold in July. September will be colder- especially as you approach the polar cap.

So the questions I would ask myself-

Is it natural light worth $800?

Is the extra space (approx- 80 square feet) worth $800?

I think it really depends on whether or not you want natural light in your stateroom...

While I have not done this cruise, I have done the Baltics, a BI, and three Alaska cruises-- always with a balcony- that we used very, very little. Even when the weather was at its most beautiful, it was still cold in July. September will be colder- especially as you approach the polar cap.

So the questions I would ask myself-

Is it natural light worth $800?

Is the extra space (approx- 80 square feet) worth $800?

Actually, I have done a Baltic cruise, but that was in June and in an OV and the only beautiful days we had were in St Pete - was very glad we didn't pay extra for the balcony on that cruise. I agree with the comments about light, but unfortunately there are only two cabin options on this ship, just not sure if light is worth $800. The space isn't that much of an issue as I don't think Princess balcony cabins are roomy either.

If you do decide to go for a balcony, get one on the starboard side you get the sun all day. If you've got some nice weather, I would guess it would be warmer than the shady port side.

But wouldn't the port side be better that time of year as we go west? Just thinking the sun would be starting to head south in September.

Edited by mek

Actually, I have done a Baltic cruise, but that was in June and in an OV and the only beautiful days we had were in St Pete - was very glad we didn't pay extra for the balcony on that cruise. I agree with the comments about light, but unfortunately there are only two cabin options on this ship, just not sure if light is worth $800. The space isn't that much of an issue as I don't think Princess balcony cabins are roomy either.

I know now that I can do without the "light" and the space. My husband cannot. It just works that way. I think that having a balcony room makes it feel much bigger.

I would probably book the interior and then stalk the Princess site to see if there is a price drop in balconies at some point.

Honestly, Mek, you know so much about cruising. You will do what is right for you.

I know now that I can do without the "light" and the space. My husband cannot. It just works that way. I think that having a balcony room makes it feel much bigger.

I would probably book the interior and then stalk the Princess site to see if there is a price drop in balconies at some point.

Honestly, Mek, you know so much about cruising. You will do what is right for you.

That is what I think my plan is going to be - go ahead with the interior with hopes of something else popping up, either a balcony price drop or an upsell offer. I just want to make sure I can be happy with the inside if that is what we ultimately end up with. It has been a long time since we've had an inside, but I think we'll be fine. Right now I have a guarantee, but think I'll switch it to a assigned cabin so we at least get the location on the ship that we want. This is one of those unique Princess itineraries that they don't do every year, so our options are limited.

Will this cruise have as much gorgeous scenic cruising as a Baltic cruise? That is a real factor to consider. Did the Emerald on a Baltic cruise and was soooo glad to have a balcony to sail up the Oslo fjord as well as the Stockholm archipelago. Just breathtakingly beautiful. We sailed in very late August(28?) out of Copenhagen so it was getting cool but not really cold then.

Granted this itinerary is different from a Baltic cruise but it was sure nice to enjoy a balcony on that particular cruise.

I'm like Tracie's husband - Give me light and get me out of this room!! If I couldn't get up in the night (or early morning) and step out just to say.. damn it's cold, lets stay in bed for a little longer - Well.. I'd have to get dressed to go out and come back to say.. damn it's cold out there!! :)

I would be willing to pay the extra (aprx) $30/day pp for that and order room service for breakfast. :D